Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 06:31 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,178,894 times

Advertisements

It always blows me away every time I hear about someone leaving an animal in a hot vehicle with the windows rolled up. You would think that people would know better than to leave a dog in their car while grocery shopping when it's 90 degrees out, yet we hear about people doing it every summer. (I won't even get into a discussion about children, as they should never be left in a vehicle regardless of temperature)

Anyways, as much as I can't believe people do this, I also can't believe how bad people overreact to pets being left in a car when it's not hot outside. I live in Seattle WA where there are only a few months out of the year when one really shouldn't let their dog ride to the store with them, however, I have had three different people confront me about leaving my dog in 60 degree weather with the windows cracked in the last year. It's really annoying because I grew up in Texas where you really have to be careful about that stuff. My latest confrontation came at a subway last week. I was taking my dog to the dog park and stopped at a subway for a sandwich. It was around 10 in the morning and in the low 60's. When I returned to my vehicle after about 5 minutes, I had two women telling me they were about to break my widow, and that I'm lucky my dog isn't dead. All I could do was laugh, as I pointed to the fact that my dog wasn't even panting, much less dying of heat exhaustion. It was at this point that one of the women told me that I didn't deserve to own my dog, and that She was going to turn me in for animal cruelty for leaving my dog in a hot car. All I could do was shake my head and drive off, but It leaves me wondering. Is this pretty common up north? I've noticed that people up here seem to have no concept of hot weather. I actually had someone tell me that it was unsafe to ride my bike out in the "heat" one day last summer when it actually hit 90. It's as if these people don't understand that people have lived, worked, and played long before air conditioning existed in parts of the world that are far more sweltering than Seattle WA LOL

Anyone else ever run into this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 06:43 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,178,043 times
Some people "police" others and often without cause. It's not that it's bad to be aware, and maybe take a "wait and see" approach to situations, but I know someone who got really worked up after seeing a dog in a car and called the police, then the owner came back a few minutes later. It was a mild day, I have no idea what the details were but dog's aren't allowed everywhere so I can certainly see why one might be in a car while the owner gets out to do something.

If I'd been with my friend I would have waited with her a bit and looked to see if the dog seemed distressed before calling the police.

A zero tolerance approach to these things is rarely a good idea.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,978,502 times
People are idiots. I live in the north. The number of days it's dangerous are way less than 3 months. Even in warmer weather, the skies are often heavily overcast here. It's possible to park in the shade too. Let's not forget after the sun goes down. Mornings are often very cool. Right now, it's 9:25 am and 61 degrees. The forecast says the high will be 81, but that won't be until after 3:00 pm if it happens. Storms often come through in the late afternoon and cool things down quickly. I swear it seems like it rains almost every day here.

I've never had it happen to me. Once, I heard a woman comment to her child that my dog shouldn't have been left in the car when she was passing it. It was a cool spring day. It didn't bother me to hear her. It's better her child learns dogs shouldn't be left in cars. If she had been more direct, I would have straightened her out.

My dog loves to ride in the car. He joins me as often as possible. But I always take into the temperature and the sunshine during the summer and often leave him home. If anyone ever did approach me or call the police, I wouldn't be intimidated. I'd have the same attitude as you. What makes me sad is to read the people who are afraid to take their dogs with them because they fear a confrontation.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
People are idiots. I live in the north. The number of days it's dangerous are way less than 3 months. Even in warmer weather, the skies are often heavily overcast here. It's possible to park in the shade too. Let's not forget after the sun goes down. Mornings are often very cool. Right now, it's 9:25 am and 61 degrees. The forecast says the high will be 81, but that won't be until after 3:00 pm if it happens. Storms often come through in the late afternoon and cool things down quickly. I swear it seems like it rains almost every day here.

I've never had it happen to me. Once, I heard a woman comment to her child that my dog shouldn't have been left in the car when she was passing it. It was a cool spring day. It didn't bother me to hear her. It's better her child learns dogs shouldn't be left in cars. If she had been more direct, I would have straightened her out.

My dog loves to ride in the car. He joins me as often as possible. But I always take into the temperature and the sunshine during the summer and often leave him home. If anyone ever did approach me or call the police, I wouldn't be intimidated. I'd have the same attitude as you. What makes me sad is to read the people who are afraid to take their dogs with them because they fear a confrontation.
I'm getting to the point that I don't want to take my dog for rides if I know that I have to stop anywhere because of this nonsense. I don't fear confrontation, but the day I walk out to my car, and someone has busted my window "to save my dog" in 60 degree weather, I'm going to lose it. People are so confrontational up here because the crime is so low IMO. It's like a free pass to run your mouth anytime you want. There are both good and bad things about it. One of the bad things about it, is that people are extremely confrontational and passive aggressive I've noticed. The fear of having some gang-banger, or trashy hood-rat going absolutely ape **** just isn't a factor that one takes into consederation before getting confrontational up here.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
One of the bad things about it, is that people are extremely confrontational and passive aggressive I've noticed. The fear of having some gang-banger, or trashy hood-rat going absolutely ape **** just isn't a factor that one takes into consederation before getting confrontational up here.
I'm aware that people in Seattle are known for being passive aggressive. I don't think what you experienced has anything to do with the crime rate. I think it has more to do with the region being "progressive" and people feeling it's their right to impose their values onto others.

We have low crime here, but Pittsburghers are very direct and outspoken people. It doesn't have to be a gang-banger or trashy hood-rat. Most Pittsburghers of all backgrounds will stand their ground if someone confronts them. But most Pittsburghers wouldn't do what happened to you because Pittsburghers are all about individual freedoms. Pittsburghers don't really give a damn what other people do as long as it doesn't infringe upon their own personal freedoms. They would only step in if a dog that was truly in danger, not because they are on a moral high horse they feel they need to recruit and educate others about. That mindset doesn't fly here.

I can only imagine what it's like to live in an area where people are harassing dog owners who aren't doing anything wrong. I've never experienced it personally. The woman who said my dog shouldn't be left in the car wasn't saying it for me to hear it. She was educating her child. When we passed each other, she was heading to the store and I was heading to my car. She had no idea I was the owner.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:02 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,242,255 times
Strange as it sounds, I have not had that problem here in Moab on 100 degree days with my dog in the car. Of course the engine is running, the AC is on full, and the fail safe system will shut down and sound an alarm if a door is opened without a disarm signal. And that signal goes to the FOB I carry in my pocket. Engine/AC will run for one hour, and never left the dog alone for more than fifteen minutes. Also, with the back windows closed it is hard to see inside and she is usually just laying there sleeping.

However, with my last malamute, in MI, someone made a nasty comment on a 20 degree day about how my dog might freeze in the backseat of the Hummer. I guess they didn't know that Mals are pretty much happier than a fly on **** at 20 degrees and for one to freeze might take quite a few days. She also didn't like where I told her to shove her nose.

Some people mean well, some are just obnoxious morons.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
However, with my last malamute, in MI, someone made a nasty comment on a 20 degree day about how my dog might freeze in the backseat of the Hummer. I guess they didn't know that Mals are pretty much happier than a fly on **** at 20 degrees and for one to freeze might take quite a few days. She also didn't like where I told her to shove her nose.
I spent a month in Vermont with my Basset in the winter. Since we were living in a hotel, he had to go everywhere with me. I limited my eating to restaurants where I could take out or food I could keep in my room from the small general store. He'd spend about 15 minutes alone in the car in temps well below zero. He had a down comforter and big wool blanket in the backseat and couldn't have been happier. When I got back into the car, it was downright warm in there from his breath heating up the car. He loved that month in Vermont. I swear it was the most fun he had in his life. Not one Vermonter said a word to me about his being in the car.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm aware that people in Seattle are known for being passive aggressive. I don't think what you experienced has anything to do with the crime rate. I think it has more to do with the region being "progressive" and people feeling it's their right to impose their values onto others.

We have low crime here, but Pittsburghers are very direct and outspoken people. It doesn't have to be a gang-banger or trashy hood-rat. Most Pittsburghers of all backgrounds will stand their ground if someone confronts them. But most Pittsburghers wouldn't do what happened to you because Pittsburghers are all about individual freedoms. Pittsburghers don't really give a damn what other people do as long as it doesn't infringe upon their own personal freedoms. They would only step in if a dog that was truly in danger, not because they are on a moral high horse they feel they need to recruit and educate others about. That mindset doesn't fly here.

I can only imagine what it's like to live in an area where people are harassing dog owners who aren't doing anything wrong. I've never experienced it personally. The woman who said my dog shouldn't be left in the car wasn't saying it for me to hear it. She was educating her child. When we passed each other, she was heading to the store and I was heading to my car. She had no idea I was the owner.

It's funny how you describe Pittsburgh, as that's how most of Texas is too. You just don't go around pulling that passive aggressive nonsense where I grew up unless you're prepared to get into an altercation. I definitely don't condone violence, but the fear of it seems to keep the loudmouths in check. LOL

Old 09-09-2014, 12:34 PM

8,541 posts, read 10,957,351 times
Something none of you posting seem to realize is, in a day where the temp is 60 outside, in the sun, in a vehicle with the windows closed, or even cracked open, the inside temp could well rise to 90 degrees.
Bad idea leaving a pet in any vehicle at any time.
If the inside temp doesn't get them, perhaps a thief would.
Wake up people, either leave the pet at home, or take it with you when you exit the vehicle.

Bob.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:44 PM

87 posts, read 90,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Something none of you posting seem to realize is, in a day where the temp is 60 outside, in the sun, in a vehicle with the windows closed, or even cracked open, the inside temp could well rise to 90 degrees.
Bad idea leaving a pet in any vehicle at any time.
If the inside temp doesn't get them, perhaps a thief would.
Wake up people, either leave the pet at home, or take it with you when you exit the vehicle.

Bob.
This is ridiculous. I live in NY and there are about 3 months a year I have to restrict my dog in the car. Granted, I dont leave my dogs in the car longer than 15 minutes at a time but they love to ride in the car and I will NOT deprive them of that joy because it "bothers" some people. Get over it! Its my dog and if he is not in stress, its really none of your business. I understand where the concern comes from but honestly, we need to get a grip and think rationally about situations.

And nobody has ever said anything negative to me about my dogs in the car, most times people ask if I can let them out to meet them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs