U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 01:54 PM

748 posts, read 1,039,993 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend sent me a text that her puppy had been stung in the mouth by a wasp or bee, maybe bitten by a snake or spider. She has given him some benedryl, he is drinking alot of water.

Puppy wont let her examine his mouth. Not sure if there is a stinger still in there, or if he was even stung. This happened about 8am, it is now almost 1pm.

Does this look like a sting? Anybody have suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Sting or Bite? Pups face swelled up..-screenshot.472.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 02:34 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,350,745 times
She lucky he breathing! I had a 4 week old pup get stung I Rushed him to the vet they gave him a shot...saved his life. Your dog is allergic to what ever got him...me I be taking him to the vet!

Old 09-14-2014, 03:08 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,248,596 times
Dog to vet- now- swelling on the outside is also taking place on the inside. Lucky the dog can breathe--- may get much worse.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:09 PM

16,025 posts, read 19,571,183 times
VET immediately! My son's pitt had this reaction to that bitter apple spray stuff, because he was eating furniture. Vet can give a shot to stop and bring down swelling....Poor puppy!! Please update when you can.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:57 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,034,052 times
Oh goodness. She needs to get him to a vet immediately! ER vets are open 24/7.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:47 AM

Update, since she lives out in the middle of nowhere, really, nowhere, she kept a close eye on him, his breathing was fine, he slept beside her last night, while she rubbed his belly. The swelling has started to go down, he still has some swelling and I believe she said a harder lump, most likely where the sting actually happened. He is getting back to his normal self, playful.

Thanks for your responses

Old 09-17-2014, 02:56 PM

She LUCKY!! She needs to take him to the vet! Find out what he is allergic to & the vet will give her a doggie eppy pen it case it happens again.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:07 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,254,960 times
I currently live where the nearest vet is 125 miles away. If my dog got stung like that, she would be at the vets inside of two hours.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I currently live where the nearest vet is 125 miles away. If my dog got stung like that, she would be at the vets inside of two hours.
I have a vet a half a block up the street and one every few blocks, I am sure at the first sign of swelling I would have taken my dog in, but then I have taken my dogs to the ER on many occasions. My female, cut her tail, it wouldn't stop bleeding, they wanted an outrageous amount to put stitches in, so I just had them wrap it, took her to the vet the next day and he wanted to amputate it. Again, I declined the treatment, willing to try to get it to heal. (As my other dog got his tail slammed in a truck door, with much attention it healed fine) Six months later, trying to wrap the tail with every kind of wrap, padding, cone on neck, I kept her locked up when company came over, had blood all over the walls. I even asked about sedating her to keep her still so it would heal. Finally took her in for the amputation.

About a month later she came in the house blood all over, she had cut a big chunk off her pad. Back to the ER. Considering the cost and the location of the stitches, on the bottom of her foot, I just had them wrap it. Later that day, I gave her a pain pill and a sedative, from when her tail was amputated, I took some clean sharp clippers and cut that chunk of pad off. It healed fine.

I realize an allergic reaction can be fatal. But over the last 15 years, I have learned that dogs really do have a pretty amazing ability to heal. I most always opt out of any antibiotics the vet wants to give, except when I had them spay/neutered. After surgery, I gave antibiotics.

The pup has a lot of saggy skin from the swelling, and, yes, I would do a follow up for the hard lump that is still there.

Thank goodness, I have not had any of my canines stung.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:19 AM

Dogs do have power to heal BUT Swelling in the Face 99% of the time is DEATH!

An having you dog live in PAIN! was CRUEL! I agree about just stiching they just break them open & usually after they heat tend to re-damage... best to just take off the tail when 1st hurt cat or dog. I had a cocker that was given to me at 1 yr old. Breeder never docked the tail. I was his LAST resort! He been past around to 3 home before I got him for the same problem. People didn't care about HIM they cared about their walls! Fix the problem be no blood. I took him straight to my vet he got amputated a month later a Furever Home! BTW while he was out my vet castrated him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or