U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:58 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,156,672 times

Advertisements

We can't say without seeing it.

I personally would NOT permit it go on too far and have the place be a free for all - since there is no dog pack leader teaching things.

But I wouldn't "pull apart" that doesn't solve anything and they'll restart or not learn from it.

I would touch lightly with one finger to get the dominant one's attention to calm the brain down after a fair amount of it. You want them to VOLUNTARILY STOP. Of course then that one may immediately INCLUDE the finger into the play LOL. That's not what we want HA. The touch is not a correction or a hit it is just like that annoying thing kids to to us poking us when we don't expect it and laugh. But don't laugh!

Discipline. And by that I mean self discipline. Just like a mom dog would convey. Just like a mother dog shows the babies where to go to eliminate as young as three weeks old. LOTS of lessons learned by each other but one has to KNOW something to teach it all the way to it's conclusion. "Ok you had your fun now calm down and relax and maybe chew this Gumabone awhile".

If she has to literally PULL APART I say she MAY have waited too long. IMO she should be able to actually put her foot or leg in between the two and they stop. Like a barrier. Like "I OWN THIS SPACE SO GIVE IT UP".

Your daughter has sort of the correct idea but may be not the technique or alternatives.

FIRST I would make sure they get ENOUGH EXERCISE on a LEASH walking OUTSIDE.

Tired puppies don't look to release energy in non productive ways so much. Yes of course they'll play and play fight. ANd teach each other some stuff especially body language. Plus they need to learn a leash and also to have the pack be THREE not TWO. Following her on the walk.

ALSO so that they gain respect for HER as the pack leader since she's replacing the mother.

Because THAT behavior is going to transfer to a kid or even your daughter or other grown ups very shortly.

The problem IS that there's a potential for them to start crap later like ONE EYE MOVEMENT starts a fight that the human didn't see why but the dogs certainly KNOW because they speak each other's language. . We need a HUMAN IN TUNE with their body language absent another pack leader dog. THAT's why you don't PULL APART.

You let them comprehend the pack leader has decided that play time is over. And neither ONE "wins". Because they are FOLLOWERS. You always address yourself to the dominant one because the other follower puppy will always follow in a balanced pack. When nonsense happens you don't add TO IT you PREEMPT the nonsense with your energy - calm and quiet leadership - body language. TAlking just makes them worse they don't understand English and they FEEL negative unstable energy so it transfers to them.

it can be done with no talking and very little touching even, just your ENERGY and presence and putting your foot on the TERRITORY you own should get the message across. Yes a mother dog may do a nip - but we are NOT dogs and not certified in imitating dogs completely because we may screw it up and make things worse. It may take a minute to master this but it'll work. WITH THE PROPER EXERCISE. IF NOT- all bets are off. And I don't mean just running around the yard IN CHARGE OF THEIR YARD. The point is to FOLLOW and also be exposed to new smells, and stimulation. Dogs walk. That's their gig.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-19-2014 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 02:13 PM

4,584 posts, read 5,010,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
We can't say without seeing it.

I personally would NOT permit it go on too far and have the place be a free for all - since there is no dog pack leader teaching things.

But I wouldn't "pull apart" that doesn't solve anything and they'll restart or not learn from it.

I would touch lightly with one finger to get the dominant one's attention to calm the brain down after a fair amount of it. You want them to VOLUNTARILY STOP. Of course then that one may immediately INCLUDE the finger into the play LOL. That's not what we want HA. The touch is not a correction or a hit it is just like that annoying thing kids to to us poking us when we don't expect it and laugh. But don't laugh!

Discipline. And by that I mean self discipline. Just like a mom dog would convey. Just like a mother dog shows the babies where to go to eliminate as young as three weeks old. LOTS of lessons learned by each other but one has to KNOW something to teach it all the way to it's conclusion. "Ok you had your fun now calm down and relax and maybe chew this Gumabone awhile".

If she has to literally PULL APART I say she MAY have waited too long. IMO she should be able to actually put her foot or leg in between the two and they stop. Like a barrier. Like "I OWN THIS SPACE SO GIVE IT UP".

Your daughter has sort of the correct idea but may be not the technique or alternatives.

FIRST I would make sure they get ENOUGH EXERCISE on a LEASH walking OUTSIDE.

Tired puppies don't look to release energy in non productive ways so much. Yes of course they'll play and play fight. ANd teach each other some stuff especially body language. Plus they need to learn a leash and also to have the pack be THREE not TWO. Following her on the walk.

ALSO so that they gain respect for HER as the pack leader since she's replacing the mother.

Because THAT behavior is going to transfer to a kid or even your daughter or other grown ups very shortly.

The problem IS that there's a potential for them to start crap later like ONE EYE MOVEMENT starts a fight that the human didn't see why but the dogs certainly KNOW because they speak each other's language. . We need a HUMAN IN TUNE with their body language absent another pack leader dog. THAT's why you don't PULL APART.

You let them comprehend the pack leader has decided that play time is over. And neither ONE "wins". Because they are FOLLOWERS. You always address yourself to the dominant one because the other follower puppy will always follow in a balanced pack. When nonsense happens you don't add TO IT you PREEMPT the nonsense with your energy - calm and quiet leadership - body language. TAlking just makes them worse they don't understand English and they FEEL negative unstable energy so it transfers to them.

it can be done with no talking and very little touching even, just your ENERGY and presence and putting your foot on the TERRITORY you own should get the message across. Yes a mother dog may do a nip - but we are NOT dogs and not certified in imitating dogs completely because we may screw it up and make things worse. It may take a minute to master this but it'll work. WITH THE PROPER EXERCISE. IF NOT- all bets are off. And I don't mean just running around the yard IN CHARGE OF THEIR YARD. The point is to FOLLOW and also be exposed to new smells, and stimulation. Dogs walk. That's their gig.
Thank you for your very thorough answer. We definitely know the importance of exercise and walks. My daughter will even come to my house after work so we can walk all the dogs together on the nature trail. Lots of good smells out there which ofcourse my lab loves!!

I watched the pups last nigth and how my daughter and her girlfriend handled them and I think they are doing a good job. They do redirect when its gone on long enough and the pups have lots of stuff to chew on.

Thanks everyone. I'll try to remember pics when they come over again.

Also, I told you the wrong mix. Its husky, pit, rottie and collie. Hows that for a combination????

Old 09-19-2014, 02:18 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,195,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Its husky, pit, rottie and collie.
I gotta see this! Will be waiting for those pictures.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:26 PM

4,584 posts, read 5,010,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I gotta see this! Will be waiting for those pictures.
One looks just like a rottie. The other....idk. LOL

RUNS......this is where we go for good doggie smells. Before someone says it....yes, the puppies will be on leash.
Attached Thumbnails
Puppies playing very roughly.-bella-04-21-13.jpg   Puppies playing very roughly.-boardwalk-bella-013.jpg   Puppies playing very roughly.-boardwalk-bella-002.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or