U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:14 AM

100 posts, read 98,439 times

Advertisements

I have a Maltese puppy. He has hair not fur so no shedding. He's only had a messy bum if he was sick and had a "hitchiker" otherwise his bum is clean. Sanitary clip = no dingleberries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 11:32 AM

676 posts, read 1,600,310 times
If you are averse to mess you shouldn't get a dog, period.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:57 AM

11,813 posts, read 15,392,180 times
In any event if your primary concern is 'clean'- the Basenji is hard to beat. They have no odor, they clean themselves like cats (which means very seldom do you need to bathe them) and really don't shed much. Out of all the breeds I've had in my life- the Basenji is definitely the cleanest.

Of course that does not translate to their demeanor- because they ALL can shred the living s*it out of things. Dog beds, newspapers- We had a male that took the toilet paper by the end and unraveled the whole roll, then proceeded to shred it into itsy bitsy bits and litter the entire house. They can be quite mischevious and deviant.

But they are the cleanest little hel*ions out there.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:03 PM

1,458 posts, read 881,357 times
Whenever you contemplate getting a particular breed of dog, or type or mixed-breed, you should also ponder the following:

1. How the dog will look and smell when it comes in from a muddy yard on a rainy day; and how long it will take you to clean and dry the dog.

2. How you will feel about cleaning and drying the dog when it's come in from a muddy yard on a rainy day. Bonus points if you remember to think about the dog's having rolled in something icky. Are you as limber as you were the last time you had a dog (and did it have the same amount of hair), do you have the same amount of time for cleaning and drying Fido when he comes in from a muddy yard on a rainy day?

All dogs get dirty, wet and muddy (or at least mud-spattered). If you don't want to deal with keeping them clean and well-groomed, or don't have the time or funds to do so, please don't get a dog. Really.

Even a short or smooth-coated small dog, such as a Pug or Miniature Pinscher or Italian Greyhound, could have a digestive upset and have diarrhea and consequently a messy butt - I always have kleenex in my pockets and in the car for emergencies.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:42 PM

6,134 posts, read 4,922,961 times
Oh, and even with a short haired dog there are other issues. I also have a Chihuahua mix. Last winter he developed an impacted anal gland. Had to do an emergency run to the vet. So there was a mess there - poor thing.

There is always something going on. I have 7 dogs - none that I went out and just had to have. All rescues of one type or the other - indiscriminant breeding, stray, two that were purchased for a good bit of money and then owners decided - nah - don't want "IT", and two left behind by neighbors living in rent house next door.

Don't get me started on the stray cats.....One more female left to catch and fix!

Old 09-22-2014, 05:53 PM

2,456 posts, read 1,981,090 times
OP - what happened to your other dog?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:05 PM

17,932 posts, read 22,609,476 times
I have a rat terrier and the only downside is that she sheds like mad. Little white hairs everywhere.

But, I call her my perma-press dog. She likes to wade into the river and run around and she gets pretty dirty from the belly to her toes. I keep a blanket over the back seat of the car. I swear by the time we get home, she looks clean! Dirt just sheds right off her.

I use a furminator on her to help with the shedding. But other than the shedding, she is a very clean dog.

I can't stand the look of dogs whose watery eyes stain the fur around their eyes, or stained fur around their mouths and nether regions. I'm guessing this is what you mean.

For the same reason, I don't like beards or even moustaches on men lol! Yuck on the food-in-the-beard factor.

Short haired dogs don't have that problem.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:06 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,151,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
If you are averse to mess you shouldn't get a dog, period.
Amen!!!

I have a Sheltie; they tend to be self-cleaning, but the fur is a hassle.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:53 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,235,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
OP - what happened to your other dog?
They were not mine technically. I was looking after them for an extended period of time. They are a family member's dogs

Old 09-22-2014, 10:38 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,151,731 times
As a former groomer of 20 years, yes, Shih Tzus get very messy and smelly a few weeks out from being groomed. I have groomed thousands of them and have many family members who own them. They grow long hair and are close to the ground, so even my family members who live in meticulous homes have Shihs with dingy legs from their hair picking up so much dirt every time they go outside.

They grow long hair on their face and chin and all this fur gets dunked into their food and water dish multiple times a day. They are also prone to weepy, wet eyes that form disgusting eye boogers.

I have been a dog person my entire life, but I can still smell the stink of a Shih Tzu across the room if it has not been groomed within a week or two. My husband also thinks they smell horrible and wont even hold them when our relatives bring their Shihs to visit. I noticed that the owners become immune to their smell since they live with them. Most people focus on poop getting hung up on their rear ends, but most of the stink comes from a Shihs face.

A lot of people who show them keep them on antibiotics, wrap their fur and bleach it to keep those pristine faces you see at dog shows. Not the case with most pets.

A friend of mine shows Basenji and the impression that I get from her is that they are very independent and bullheaded. She has also had a lot of issues with escape artists and fence jumpers.

Dachshunds are clean dogs but they can have a protective temperament in a small body. Not all of them are good with kids or strangers.

I think the small sighthounds like Italian Greyhounds and Whippets are as clean as they come.

Last edited by L0ve; 09-22-2014 at 10:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or