U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:24 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,242,498 times

Advertisements

What's the cleanest small dog to get? like around 20 lbs? I know someone with Shih tau and whenever they go, they get messy all over in their fur in the back end.

Is a Daschund relatively clean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 04:50 AM

5,701 posts, read 4,119,924 times
Don't make assumptions that long haired dogs are normally "messy in the back end". Not true at all.

If that Shih Tzu is messy, then something is not right. The dog is either sickly and has diarrhea, the owner is feeding the wrong food causing diarrhea, OR the dog isn't being groomed (clipped) often enough and the bowel movements are catching on the long hairs (or mats) under his tail.

There is no "cleanest" breed of short-haired dogs. ANY breed of short-haired dogs without the longer hair around their anus, are easier to keep clean on the back end unless they are sick (diarrhea), dashunds included.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:18 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
grooming will solve most "messy" issues, a simple "sanitary trim" where they trim the fur around the rear.

if you want truly "clean" any of the hairless breeds would be a good choice, xolo, crested, American Hairless Terrier, ect, no hair means no shedding, nothing for yucky stuff to get stuck to ect...
BUT it also means more frequent bathing, sun protection in the summer and cold protection (fleecy jammies and coats/sweaters ect in the winter.

shorter haired dogs in MY experience are "messier" because they tend to be heavier shedding, longer haired dogs generally shed less overall but need to be trimmed to keep dirt out of the "skirting" and around the rear.
curly ahired dogs like poodles are generally very clean, BUT they require much more extensive grooming...

some breeds like shiba inu have been described as "cat like" in their tendency to groom themselves so that might also be a choice, however "cat like" breeds tend to be aloof and sometimes a little more difficult for a first time dog owner due to a different type of learning style...

Old 09-22-2014, 07:52 AM

6,178 posts, read 4,960,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
What's the cleanest small dog to get? like around 20 lbs? I know someone with Shih tau and whenever they go, they get messy all over in their fur in the back end.

Is a Daschund relatively clean?
Do you mean a "maintenance free" dog?

One that doesn't require professional grooming services? How about just a small mutt from the shelter.

One that doesn't have long or curly hair/fur? A short haired dachshund would be clean, but then you might face issues with their spine as they get older.

I have two long haired dogs but keep them clipped close in the butt area. But I will be honest, once they are over the bridge, no more long haired dogs for me. I have 7 dogs altogether. Really, no more dogs. I will get my dog fix in other ways - getting too old for this.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:13 AM

11,818 posts, read 15,432,391 times
Basenji.

They don't bark, rarely shed and clean themselves like cats.
Basenji, Information and Pictures, Basenjis, Dog that does not bark

We have one, a female. One eyed, almost blind in the other, fearless b*tch of the house. Great little dog IF you are the right kind of owner.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:57 AM

2,456 posts, read 1,991,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Basenji.

We have one, a female. One eyed, almost blind in the other, fearless b*tch of the house. Great little dog IF you are the right kind of owner.

LOVE LOVE LOVE 'Senjis...my favorite breed ever and can't wait to get another one.

However "the right kind of owner" is very very important for these dogs!!!

Basenji's need an owner who has more determination than the dog, one who will spend time with the dog, and is committed to training and exercise.

I would not recommend a basenji to someone who has never had a dog before.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:12 AM

3,918 posts, read 2,554,134 times
Even the cleanest dog will bring in some dirt and will occasionally have accidents or throw up if they're ill. If you want a pristine house you shouldn't get a pet. There is no such thing as a maintenance free dog, all dogs will need a bath occasionally, need their nails trimmed and regular vet visits. Dogs are wonderful companions and I will always have them in my home but they are work and they do cost money. As long as you go into dog ownership with your eyes open, it's very rewarding.

Dachshunds are great little dogs but as others have mentioned are prone to back issues. You need to be very careful about their weight and mindful of their back.

I will third the opinion on a basenji not being a good choice for a novice dog owner.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Basenji.

Yes But I like dog's barking. It reminds that they are dogs. That's what dogs do

Old 09-22-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Don't make assumptions that long haired dogs are normally "messy in the back end". Not true at all.

If that Shih Tzu is messy, then something is not right. The dog is either sickly and has diarrhea, the owner is feeding the wrong food causing diarrhea, OR the dog isn't being groomed (clipped) often enough and the bowel movements are catching on the long hairs (or mats) under his tail.

There is no "cleanest" breed of short-haired dogs. ANY breed of short-haired dogs without the longer hair around their anus, are easier to keep clean on the back end unless they are sick (diarrhea), dashunds included.
I spent much time visit these dogs and yes their long hairs get them dirty I have seen it with my own eyes. I am looking for maybe short hairs dog. But one that is just I don't know clean

Old 09-22-2014, 11:13 AM

11,818 posts, read 15,432,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
Yes But I like dog's barking. It reminds that they are dogs. That's what dogs do
Oh they make some serious noise. Go p*ss one off and you'll find out, lol. It'll make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.
This is the sound they make when they are sad. All of our Basenji's made this sound, especially when my wife and i would leave the yard to go for a walk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUBcOoBgtOU

And this is EXACTLY what my old female sounded like when riled up. My friend tried to take a goat bone away from her when she was a puppy and SHE WENT AFTER HIM...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0clCThu4J6E

Last edited by Threerun; 09-22-2014 at 11:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or