U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 10:36 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times

Advertisements

I posted about them in May here: This really bothers me about my neighbor!

A month ago, I got a text asking me if I could watch their dog a couple of hours before they left town. I didn't see it until a half hour after they left. Their dog was stuck inside their house for two days before they sent a relative to get it and bring it to my house. This is the only neighbor who fears giving out house keys. Just the thought they would leave a dog inside a house for an entire week is mindboggling. It's not like someone goes there to let it in and out. I imagine the basement door is open for her to poop and pee in the basement. But what about water?!?!?!? Does she drink from the toilet once the water is gone?

I didn't post about that but what happened last night has me furious.

Their dog comes to visit us multiple times per day. Whenever they are outside and the dog sees us outside, she comes to visit and play with my dog. They usually go in my back yard to run around together. When they come in, I give biscuits. She was more excited and vocal lately. When we were eating once, she started trying to beg from us very intensely. That's something she has never done.

Last night around 5pm, after she and my dog came inside from their backyard romp, she started jumping and barking at my basement door---which is where the biscuits are located. I wondered, "She seems hungry." I sent her back home like usual. At 9pm, I saw my neighbor. We were shooting the breeze and I asked if she had food. He asked why and I told him she seemed hungry when she was at my house earlier. He admitted that he bought her food in the AM, but it was in the trunk of his car and his wife wouldn't be home until 2am. I told him I was taking her over to my house to feed her because she shouldn't have to wait until 2am to eat (and lord knows how long it had been since she had her last meal!)

She came over and chowed down faster then I have ever seen her eat, and I sent her home. She grazes at their house. When she first comes to my house for a vacation, she doesn't eat the first day because she's not hungry. By the second day she eats at mealtime like clockwork. So I know she's not always starving, but still. I asked him this morning if he fed her breakfast. He said he did but she turned her nose up to it and ate the cat food. That means the cats didn't have food either since she was so hungry!!! Which means the cats were hungry too!!

I understand they are having financial problems due to underemployment, but you don't stop feeding your pets! OMG, if I had run out of pet food before payday, I'd be raiding my freezer and pantry to feed them SOMETHING. Thank goodness, I've never had that happen. I'd go to a food bank. I'd call relatives. I'd so something. I wouldn't leave my pets hungry. And I most certainly wouldn't forget to unload the pet food from the trunk of my vehicle since I would know my pets were waiting anxiously to eat.

I'm thankful I'm not witnessing a neighbor who is physically abusing their pets, leaving them outside without attention, etc., but their casual disregard for their pets infuriates me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 10:38 AM

55,485 posts, read 74,383,428 times
the cow bird is a creature that leaves its young in the nest of other birds for them to raise them. america is full of cow birds 2 legged variety.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:45 PM

1,929 posts, read 1,862,701 times
Missing a meal here and there is not going to hurt the dog nor is having a meal come later than the usual time. Wild canines don't eat every day. Most pets in the US are way over fed. I have a dog that will sometimes turn up her nose and not want to eat for a couple of days. Usually in the summer time. She has done this for the past 12 years. My other dog will eat anything that isn't nailed down. You would think she was starving despite the fact she is fed twice a day.

Your neighbor owns this dog. He bought her food. Likely she is learning that she will get something she likes better at your house so she can be picky at home. I am sure your neighbor appreciates you feeding his dog. It is saving him money. Whether or not you approve of how he cares for his dog, unless he is actually neglecting abusing or starving the dog, (and you can prove this) it is none of your business.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:08 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Missing a meal here and there is not going to hurt the dog nor is having a meal come later than the usual time.
This dog had been acting hungry for a few weeks. It took me a while to realize that's what was happening. Last night was the only time I actually fed her a meal. She doesn't eat at my house unless she's a guest here while they're out of town.

Quote:
Your neighbor owns this dog.
Oh, yeah. I'm well aware. They don't care about her. They forget about her constantly. Read the other thread I linked in the OP.

Quote:
He bought her food.
A few days too late.

Quote:
Likely she is learning that she will get something she likes better at your house so she can be picky at home.
That's not the case. At my house, she knows if she doesn't eat a meal, she doesn't get fed until the next meal. She never eats the first 24 hours she's at my house because she's not hungry. The fact she has been hungry lately indicates she has been missing more than a meal. She's never hungry until she misses a couple of meals.

She was picky long before she ever started coming to my house because she eats people food. I'm not saying these people have always not fed their dog. This is a recent development that has nothing to do with being at my house. It's due to their current financial crisis. Since the people food isn't plentiful anymore, the dog needs dog food for the lost calories. But they're too self absorb to realize it.

Quote:
I am sure your neighbor appreciates you feeding his dog. It is saving him money.
One meal saved him pennies.

Quote:
Whether or not you approve of how he cares for his dog, unless he is actually neglecting abusing or starving the dog, (and you can prove this) it is none of your business.
It IS my business to the extend that I can rant and rave on CD, my family and friends, and anyone else when I get the urge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs