U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 03:48 PM

1,465 posts, read 887,279 times

Advertisements

I have a lovely English Cocker from a responsible breeder. My dog (7 year old male) is very sweet, I would say he barks slightly less than average (but the breed is perhaps average in barking), he weighs 26-27 lbs and is about 16 inches at the withers (some are smaller). Drawbacks - separation anxiety, which could have been avoided if I had crate-trained him as a pup (not possible, I live in an apartment, and he would bark when I crated him), having to brush him twice a week to avoid matting (that beautiful soft coat tangles easily, and tangles lead to mats) and have him professionally groomed 3-4 times a year. Also, most English Cockers are extremely food-oriented.

Other pluses - they are usually (especially when well socialized from young ages) pleasant to everyone and can be very friendly with certain people. My dog thinks children are sources of Wonderful Things that he might be able to steal (pacifiers, good food-smells, toys) but he also likes them on principle. (did I mention that my dog is a thief - hats and gloves belonging to other people aren't safe, nor are squeaky balls that other dogs were using) He is a fairly low-energy dog; needing two good outings a day as well as pit stops, but not needing hours and hours of intense running. (his idea of running is usually to put nose to ground and trot, then stop 'n' sniff) He is not a digger; and does not chase squirrels. (other English Cockers can dig, and chase squirrels, but mine doesn't). He likes to snuggle for a few hours in bed most nights.

Golden Retrievers are lovely dogs, but they don't always live much past 10 or 11; and some Goldens can be very energetic as pups and young dogs. The Goldens I've known love to roll around in practically any body of water, including mud puddles and marshes. They are usually pretty quiet, though.

Great Danes are not high-energy dogs; if you can cope with the sheer size of the breed, and their sadly relatively short lifespans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 05:28 PM

18,004 posts, read 22,741,002 times
You just reminded me that my rat terrier loves to dig! I don't have a yard, so it's not a problem in my life. But, she will dig when I take her to the river, and I let her. She will occasionally snag a mole.

She'll also dig at the dog park, and I have to fill the holes back in there.

If she was somewhere with access to a back yard, her digging could be a problem.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:46 PM

21,867 posts, read 21,995,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmy3dogs View Post
I think a greyhound is a definite possibility. Most retired racers are in the 2-5 year range. We have seen several at adoption events and they are such a beautiful breed.
Wow, I had no idea they retired so young. That could make a difference to me.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:09 PM

3,927 posts, read 2,558,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Wow, I had no idea they retired so young. That could make a difference to me.
I've also seen Greyhound rescues have puppies occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or