Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 02:04 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

One more question... A friend of mine had a Keeshond. I fell in love with that dog. To what extent would it be a good match for me? One website says they're very prone to barking if left alone for long periods. We're not gone for long periods of time, but I really don't want a barker. One of our Collies was a non-stop barker and earned us a few enemies over the years. One site says that they really don't shed as much as you'd expect and don't require as much time to groom as you'd expect. While I like that, I'm having a hard time believing it.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-28-2014 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 02:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Well, like anything, there is usually some truth to any story. So, I'd err on the side of caution and believe the website about the barking factor.

OTOH, I had a friend with an adult Keeshond. She was a very sweet dog. She was not a barker. They had several dogs, and the other two were the barkers (I house and dog sat for them several times). The others were a dachshund and a cockapoo mix, and they were non-stop barkers.

But, their Keeshond was a ball of fur - high maintenance to brush, IMO. I don't recall there being a lot of her fur all over furniture, or the carpet, etc., but brushing her was a monumental job. And she just seemed uncomfortably hot all the time. This was in Davis, CA, and they had air conditioning.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:36 PM

What about a soft-coated wheaten terrier? My husband is really leaning towards that breed. I'm not big into terriers, but if the breed matched my criteria, I guess I'd give it some consideration. (I think I really want a dog with a Keeshond's personality but that doesn't bark a lot or shed a lot. ) Personality is really important to me. I want a dog that's sweet and affectionate and devoted.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:06 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Spaniels keep coming up along with the golden which share the friendly disposition. Cavaliers are devoted to their owners and are happy being with their people whether it is curled up on the couch, taking a walk or doing agility.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
My rat terrier is not like a typical terrier. She's amazingly sweet and affectionate and devoted. She's a mighty little huntress off leash by the river, but she'll come right away. She's a real cuddler. Not like any terriers I've ever met before.

But, there's that shedding factor.....bummer.

I had a spaniel/terrier mix and she was not all that affectionate. She now lives with my daughter. She's very loyal, but I would always try to get her to sleep with me, and as soon as I would turn over or disturb her in any way, she'd take off lol! She's the same way now with my daughter. We're always trying to get her to cuddle, and she will for a little while, but she's all about her own comfort, and happier on her own bed.

Whereas Jackie is not affected at all if I move around, etc. She's determined to stick with me and cuddle. But, without being neurotically needy.

Anyway, if you go for a spaniel, beware of any "mixes." My old dog looks like a spaniel, but has a terrier attitude. She also sheds terribly, but my daughter keeps her shaved and that really helps. With just her undercoat showing, she looks like a puppy. Cute.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:15 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I was going to say a German Shorthair Pointer until I got to the part about exercise. We have two, they are extremely fun, don't bark all that much, love, love, love people and playing games, very trainable, don't really shed.. BUT...

HIGH ENERGY

Old 09-29-2014, 11:59 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Our favorite dog was a Brittany. We have always been partial to spaniels for their calm personalities, and she was our all time favorite dog. She was about 30 lbs., sweet, and quiet, yet was always up for anything and everything. We had a place in the country where she could roam and chase squirrels (her favorite pastime). Later, she was content in our fenced suburban back yard. She was fine with cats and other dogs and never once nipped or seemed scared of anyone. Gosh, we loved that dog.
If there was one drawback, she hated to have her nails cut and shook like a leaf if she had to go to the vet.
I think some dogs have been overbred, like Springers and Cockers, but it seems like Brittanies are still a well kept secret.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:43 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I would second a Brit. There are some really good Brit breeders in Montana. Great upland bird dog!

Old 09-29-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Our favorite dog was a Brittany. We have always been partial to spaniels for their calm personalities, and she was our all time favorite dog. She was about 30 lbs., sweet, and quiet, yet was always up for anything and everything. We had a place in the country where she could roam and chase squirrels (her favorite pastime). Later, she was content in our fenced suburban back yard. She was fine with cats and other dogs and never once nipped or seemed scared of anyone. Gosh, we loved that dog.
If there was one drawback, she hated to have her nails cut and shook like a leaf if she had to go to the vet.
I think some dogs have been overbred, like Springers and Cockers, but it seems like Brittanies are still a well kept secret.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I would second a Brit. There are some really good Brit breeders in Montana. Great upland bird dog!
A Brittany was one of the suggested breeds from one of the many quizzes I took. I've got to admit, though, Dashdog has really turned me on to Silken Windhounds. The biggest drawback in getting one would undoubtedly be the cost. They are virtually unheard of at shelters.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:47 PM

120 posts, read 215,236 times
My son just adopted a 4-6 year old three-legged Brittany and he would totally fit most your criteria. This guy almost never barks and is such a lover. I would imagine a puppy would be very active though.

I think a greyhound is a definite possibility. Most retired racers are in the 2-5 year range. We have seen several at adoption events and they are such a beautiful breed.

Good luck in your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs