Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:39 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times

Advertisements

^ Ha, classic dog. I once had a mixed breed who on the day of moving dug up a carp (fish) I had buried in the garden and rolled all over it. Woowee talk about stink!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 02:27 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
I have a new twist on this old problem:

When I had my old dog I started feeding my cats up on a card table. This worked fine. Cats like to eat high, and the dog didn't get into their food.

But now with the new pup he's a mountain goat, and has no problem getting up onto the card table.

So, what can I do to prevent the dog from eating the cat food on the table without scaring the cats away from their own food?

I refuse to make the cats eat someplace other than the place they're accustomed to eat just because the dog misbehaves.

Any advice (that doesn't involve clicking on a link?)

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2015, 06:13 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,376 times
No suggestions here, just wanted to say that I used to have a stove surfer....my rabbit. He had the run of the house when I was home, and in his younger years, several times I found him on top of the stove, foraging for anything that even slightly resembled food. He was a fairly big boy - 12 lbs., about the size of a cat - and he was bad to the bone when it came to house rules! I wound up having to keep him confined to his room around (human) meal times, just so he wouldn't hurt himself.

Thankfully he outgrew the habit as he matured. But then he upgraded to a fridge thief instead.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:17 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
I don't know if they have been mentioned already since I didn't read through the thread and it's an old post but there are different types of scat mats you can put on counters, furniture etc.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:44 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
You may not want to startle her into falling off. My niece's min pin died from falling off the groomers table. Just don't leave any food on your counters...the dog will lose interest.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I was surprised to see my old thread resurrected! By the way, Jackie doesn't jump on tables anymore. What I ended up doing was hiding around a corner and just jumping out and yelling and waving my arms at her LOL. Freaked her out bad enough, she quit doing it.

We share a big chair, and if I forget and leave a plate on the table next to the chair, and go into the bathroom, I have caught her stealing a lick of the plate, ha ha. But, mainly I just keep stuff out of her reach, if I'm not going to be right there.

As far as your dog jumping on the card table...all I can think of is to restrain him while you feed the cats. If you have a constant feeding situation for the cats on the card table, I'm not sure you could be successful. I think you'd have to put up some type of barrier. Any scat mat would also affect the cats. So, I think you're going to have to figure out how to make access to the table impossible for the dog - at least when there's food there.

Or maybe feed them somewhere higher up? On top of the fridge?

Old 06-10-2015, 01:32 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I have a new twist on this old problem:

When I had my old dog I started feeding my cats up on a card table. This worked fine. Cats like to eat high, and the dog didn't get into their food.

But now with the new pup he's a mountain goat, and has no problem getting up onto the card table.

So, what can I do to prevent the dog from eating the cat food on the table without scaring the cats away from their own food?

I refuse to make the cats eat someplace other than the place they're accustomed to eat just because the dog misbehaves.

Any advice (that doesn't involve clicking on a link?)

Thanks!
Sorry to say there may be nothing that will keep your dog away from the cat food if he can reach it. I'm assuming you have no chairs around the table and there's nothing he can jump on (like a stool) to reach the table. Most dogs LOVE cat food. You can try a scat mat but his drive for the food may overcome his fear of the mat. I know you don't want to but you may have to move the cat food. I finally installed a doggy gate with a cat size door at the bottom in the room where the cat's food and litter box was. It was too small for my GSDs to go through but plenty big for the cat to use. Of course, if your dog is small, that won't work either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs