Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:59 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Gee whiz, Katie. Have some respect !

I have a somewhat similar problem with my bischon poo, who recently started jumping on the chair next to the table and eating the cat's food. And, there is no where else I can put the food, so the cat can eat it and the dogs will not ! And to make it worse, the cat's food has thyroid medication in it, needed by the cat. I want to scare the dog away, but not the cat. What to do???
Yes that's a tricky one with a small dog.

I have clients that have a gate with a small pet door opening but a dog your size can probably sneak through it.

http://www.petmountain.com/photos/pr...h-pet-door.jpg

I also have some who carved a HOLE out of a door like the mouse holes they used to have in those old Tom And Jerry cartoons?

But your dog can probably sneak through one of them, too.

You COULD make the dog wear one of THESE to prevent that. Or a bigger one they have in Petco that is air filled.

Puppy Bumpers | PetSolutions

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 12:24 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yes that's a tricky one with a small dog.

I have clients that have a gate with a small pet door opening but a dog your size can probably sneak through it.

http://www.petmountain.com/photos/pr...h-pet-door.jpg

I also have some who carved a HOLE out of a door like the mouse holes they used to have in those old Tom And Jerry cartoons?

But your dog can probably sneak through one of them, too.

You COULD make the dog wear one of THESE to prevent that. Or a bigger one they have in Petco that is air filled.

Puppy Bumpers | PetSolutions
I love the puppy bumpers! Very clever.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
absolutely adorable !!

I would need something like a small sandbag to tie on his back leg so he couldn't jump. LOL

Old 12-05-2014, 10:01 PM

Someone suggested that I update this thread, so here goes.

I didn't have the money for a scat mat, as I had to save up to move to my new apt. What I did was I either took Jackie into the bathroom with me, if I took a bath, etc., or I'd actually put a wide piece of tape across the cupboard where the garbage can was, when I'd be leaving. I used to ship things for a business, and had some really wide clear tape, and I'd put some across the cupboards under the kitchen sink.

So, basically, I haven't really trained her not to do this LOL! I have just made it difficult for her to misbehave.

She will also get into any food in the car, if I leave her in the car. So, any groceries, etc., must be put into the trunk while I run around and leave her in the car.

So, I have not trained her to not get into food when I'm not looking, and I decided to not spend the money on the scat mat, because she's too darn smart. The first time I leave it off, etc., she'd be all up in the food again.

Anyway, for anyone who wondered how this worked out - I basically caved LOL! I just don't give her the chance to get into food right now. I did buy some mouse traps, but was afraid she might get hurt by them, and I'd have to then pay a vet bill and have the vet look at me like I'm evil, so haven't gone there.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:32 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Well when she good ...even tho you blocked her... I give her a treat.. Tell her how good she is when your not there. As said she smart! Awarding Good Behavior Even IF your making sure she Cant be bad IS what Training is about!

Old 12-05-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well when she good ...even tho you blocked her... I give her a treat.. Tell her how good she is when your not there. As said she smart! Awarding Good Behavior Even IF your making sure she Cant be bad IS what Training is about!
Good advice. I do this, but not consistently. Good reminder.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:26 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times
Years ago I trained a dog to stay away with upside down mouse traps. If the dog steps on them they still go off but no one gets hurt. Its a pain to set them that way but with a bit of practice you will get it.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:51 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Since she rewarded herself for table surfing she not going to stop. At this point you wouldn't be able to trust her. With service dogs they have to learn from puppies Not to eat unless told.
Yes, being able to find food on the table is self-rewarding, but you absolutely can train an older dog to reliably leave food alone whether on a coffee table, dining table, floor, etc.

It is relatively easy to teach impulse control, but it does take time and consistency.

Sue Ailsby's Training Levels works well. This is a progressive set of comprehensive increasing difficult contextual exercises designed to be a holistic training program with an emphasis on impulse control.

Very gentle program- teaches the dog to think and make a good choice- solid program.

All of my dogs have been trained using variations on this program. As a result of this training, they will sit with a hunk of raw meat in front of them and not touch it- ever, they do not counter-surf, and do not "thieve" anything left out when I am out- ever.

Here is Sue's website introduction to the program, scroll down for Level One:
Introduction

I would not use the scat mat or the mouse-trap.

Take the time to train your dog right- teach your dog what you want it to do and to make smart choices.

Snapping the feet and causing shocks doesn't teach the dog anything other than to be afraid.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:22 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

So, basically, I haven't really trained her not to do this LOL! I have just made it difficult for her to misbehave.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:56 PM

LMAO! Runs With Scissors, I love your photos! Rat terriers for life!

Took Jackie for a drive today to check out Brookings, OR - the closest big town to where I moved. When we got back to my town, I took her to check out a beach that I was told I could let her off leash. We found it and she loved it & promptly found something dead to roll in and got really stinky and wouldn't respond to "Come" until she thoroughly saturated herself in stink.

She finally came back and did the laying on her back, looking guilty routine until I quit scolding her. I have also learned to keep lots of big containers of perfumed wipes in the car - for just this reason.

Does Jackie know "come"? And does she normally come on command? Yes!

But, does she decide it's worth the lecture to continue to roll in something stinky, which may be her favorite thing to do in the world? YES!

She's such a brat. But, I love her. I's actually part of why I do love her. I love that she's smart and not a wimpy scaredy cat. C'est la vie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs