U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 08:46 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,170,630 times

Advertisements

"How do you find housing with a dangerous breed" as opposed to supposedly dangerous, would be a pretty odd question. Since it implies the breed IS dangerous, why would the person want to own one. Well, I know there are thugs out there who want a dog they can train to intimidate, but a regular dog loving person who wanted a pit bull wouldn't ask the question that way. There is no reason to think he was being deliberately provocative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 08:49 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,129,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

Ceece but the same can be said that NOTHING EVER is set in stone...

but I also feel that we cant prepare for the actions of random strangers and thus shouldn't be forced to live for others...
a dogs breed SHOUDLNT hold someone back IF they are willing to prove the dog is well controlled, properly trained, friendly and that the owner is responsible (ie by having their own insurance already ect)
If you are asking to live IN MY HOUSE, then I am no longer a "random stranger".

Buy your OWN property and do whatever you want.

While maybe ever changing...LAWS are set in stone. Insurance policies are set in stone. I'm unaware of Pit Bull laws and policies getting LESS strict over time, only MORE.

So you work in the insurance industry?

Don't expect ME as a landlord to navigate YOUR insurance policies and have a crystal ball knowing about the future.

There are already FOURTEEN states REQUIRING PET OWNERS to have Pet liability insurance - a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TYPE OF INSURANCE than "renters" or "homeowners".

So all the opinionated EXPERTS here? Whoops.

Someone here already stated misinformation about Farmers, who, according to a google search on the internet does NOT provide that coverage anymore.

And even State Farm will NOT write homeowners polices in some states like OHIO.

So sure, OP. If you want to be a crusader and tempt fate, adopt a pit bull as a renter. Just be sure you're not contributing to the pit bull problem by having to surrender one when your situation changes or your laws change or your insurance company changes.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-07-2014 at 09:22 AM..

Old 10-07-2014, 09:04 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,129,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
"How do you find housing with a dangerous breed" as opposed to supposedly dangerous, would be a pretty odd question. Since it implies the breed IS dangerous, why would the person want to own one. Well, I know there are thugs out there who want a dog they can train to intimidate, but a regular dog loving person who wanted a pit bull wouldn't ask the question that way. There is no reason to think he was being deliberately provocative.
I don't understand your point.

It has nothing to do with being "LOVING".

14 states have laws on the books called "dangerous breed". THAT is the language of the law

The OP even made a case for debate stating regardless of the individual animal's personality.

THUGS?

LOL obviously you really don't know about human nature. They don't have to be a "THUG" or "train" dogs to intimidate to have problems. They just have to be an idiot. Idiot parent and idiot dog owner. So that's some type of stereotype. It happens all the time.

But that's not the point, we are discussing POLICY and even LAWS. Not if they're right or wrong.

WHOOPS I just had to remove a bunch of links because I forgot there's a ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY on this forum about the subject.

With good REASON.

"NO MORE "PIT BULL ATTACK" NEWS LINKS OR STORIES"

There is also supposed to be a LIMITED discussion on Breed Specific Legislation here. LIMITED to sharing information only.

Quote:
BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) DISCUSSIONS WILL BE LIMITED: BSL discussions should be limited to the sharing of information when replying to a question posed by a member, such as 'I'm moving to Idaho, do I need to worry about BSL there?". We may loosen up on this in the future, but for right now we need to keep it in check.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-07-2014 at 09:12 AM..

Old 10-07-2014, 09:52 AM

178 posts, read 178,429 times
I would not get a "dangerous breed" dog unless I owned my own home. It's really difficult finding a place to rent in my area if you have certain breeds.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:45 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,170,630 times
Oh please. I used the word loving casually. I'm just saying if you don't think a pit bull is a dangerous breed, you won't title your thread as such, while acknowledging the problem in finding housing lies in the fact that it's considered a dangerous breed by some. I'm saying there is no reason to interpret the phrasing as purposely provocative. And yes I know there are bad dogs not trained that way by thugs. Also beside my point. They are the only potential posters who would ask where they could rent with a breed that they considered, in fact, to be dangerous. Neither I nor the OP were trying to bring BSL into it.
Would your hero Cesar Milan refer to pit bulls as a dangerous breed, or as one that is considered dangerous by some people? That's a rhetorical question. I won't be reading the response anyway.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:25 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,138,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
II'm unaware of Pit Bull laws and policies getting LESS strict over time, only MORE.
AFF sends out regular updates on changes to BSL, such as this one where South Dakota outlawed BSL this year
Animal Farm Foundation | securing equal treatment and opportunity for "pit bull" dogs

They also have a map that is kept updated
Animal Farm Foundation Multimedia & Publications - Interactive BSL Map

Old 10-07-2014, 01:04 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
the op wasn't asking about laws...
the op was stating that their current landlord would be fine, but are there ways to navigate in the future should the need arise...
no legal advice asked for, no "my rights as a renter" or BSL, just, are there things the op can do as a renter (possibly with a pitty) should they need to one day rent with a breed that's commonly labled (this could also go for any breed construed as "dangerous" or any breed that even LOOKS "pitty")

things like having your CGC with the dog and your own liability insurance are ways the op can prove they are a responsible dog owner that could help prevent issues in the future...

Not all areas (or landlords, or insurances) restrict breeds...if you as a landlord do, that's your business...not ALL do and there are plenty of landlords who will rent to bully breed owners and other "dangerous" breeds....but again having things like a dog with good training will help navigate those waters.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:15 PM

19,187 posts, read 14,947,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoAlbatross View Post
So I'm considering getting a dog soon since my current landlord will allow it. After some searching, I found my "dream dog" at a local shelter: affectionate, gentle, friendly, quiet, and extremely compatible with my low-energy lifestyle.
The problem? That dog is a pit bull.
And sure, my current landlord would be okay with it, but what about the future?
I know that eventually, my limited lease will be up and I will have to move on to a new rental. Finding pet friendly housing can be difficult enough, much less finding pet friendly housing for breeds often construed as "dangerous" (regardless of the individual animal's personality.) Should I move on, not adopt, and not risk setting myself up for apartment/room rental-hunting failure, or does anyone know if there's a successful way of navigating these things?
Thanks in advance!
My concerns have nothing to do with breed. "Dream dog" to me is a red flag. OP, how much time have you spent with this dog? Have you had the dog away from the shelter? Low-energy or worn out by being at the shelter? We have adopted shelter dogs and visited with many others. We never found a "dream dog" as described and never really met anyone that did in all of our many years. Be prepared for a lot of surprises. Is this your first dog as an adult? I would read all information about a breed or mix that I was considering making a real effort to read articles by groups that rescue/train such breeds. Also, how is the dog with other dogs? Cats? Does it have any fears like of men, people with glasses.........? Make sure you will be able to return the dog if it turns out to be too much. You'll be making a long commitment to this dog and you will face restrictions not only because of breed but because you are a renter with a dog and despite what some may say, as you move around the country, should you, it won't be like "home".

Old 10-07-2014, 10:42 PM

10 posts, read 12,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Well, you knew it was a politically charged topic. But even so, you said... and EMPHASIZED with QUOTATION MARKS:

"so-called "dangerous" breeds"

And

"finding pet friendly housing for breeds often construed as "dangerous" (regardless of the individual animal's personality.)"

As predictable as the sun coming up tomorrow morning, there was a debate and actually a little tame. You made your objection to the policies clear thereby inviting debate/disagreement/support.

Of course, that's not to say that certain people won't go off anyway, regardless of your wording.

I am shocked, however, that someone would expect a vet to lie.

ETA: HERE is the forum's ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY on this subject.

HOT TOPICS & ZERO TOLERANCE....pls read!

Ahhh, now I see. (I think?)

Okay, well I can't do anything about the original post, unfortunately, but for the sake of clearing a few things up: I was aware of how inflammatory the topic was; BUT, what I wasn't aware of was how people would respond based on how I worded it (reiterating how terrible I am at reading people... believe me, I make these mistakes all the time...) So, I tried to dance around the controversy and soften things with the quotation marks to avoid arguments, but apparently it had the opposite effect. I guess I should of said "banned breeds" or something similar, and just moved towards a different word choice in general?

And I wasn't quite aware of "policy" crossing over into "legislation" as far as forum policy...hmm... well, maybe a mod will come along and kindly clear this thread away.

Moreover, the dog in question has already been adopted out. Thank you again to everyone who took the time to contribute thoughtful advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or