U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 19,071 times

Advertisements

I have a Shih Tzu, Sasha that was diagnosed with Cushings Disease when she was 11 years old and was placed on 60 mg Vetoryl. Valley Vet has the best prices on Vetoryl and other animal supplements and medication. Literally half the price! I even purchase Frontline flea control for almost half the price of pet stores and vets. Now back to the Cushings Disease. I believe in holistic healing, but was willing to give Vetoryl a try. Sasha has been on Vetoryl for a year and was doing fine in the beginning, but she started to develop rashes and sores on her body that would not heal and she was constantly whining from discomfort of not only her skin, but from gastric pain. The Vet prescribed medicated shampoos that did not clear up her condition. Sasha was miserable and was licking and chewing herself raw. I decided to take her off Vetoryl and placed on Pet Wellbeing Adrenal Harmony Gold and 3mg of Melatonin twice a day and within two weeks her skin has healed, she is calmer, her eyes are brighter, her thirst is normal and her appetite has decreased. Sasha is so much more active and is back to her normal frisky self. Before it was such an effort for her to climb the stairs and now she runs up the stairs. I know you are wondering about the Melatonin. Melatonin has an anti-gonadotropic activity that inhibits aromatase (converts androstenedione and testosterone into estradiol) and 21-hydroxylase (lowers cortisol level) enzymes. Dogs with Cushings do not produce enough serotonin so the melatonin helps to calm the dogs.

I just learned that Lignans is beneficial for Cushings Disease. Flax seeds contain Lignans and has a phytoestrogenic activity that competes with estradiol for tissue estrogen receptors with less biological effect. Lignans also inhibit aromatase (anti-estrogen) and 3-beta HSD (lowers cortisol) enzymes. It recommends not using Flax seed oil, but to use ground flax seeds.

Diet is important. I do not feed Sasha commercial dog food. I have cooked her and my other two dogs food for years and supplemented with vitamins. Dogs with Cushings require high protein low fat diets. My dog’s food contain NO grains and cooking for your dog is cheaper and healthier than feeding them commercial dog food. Science Diet dog food is the worst commercial dog food you can feed your dogs. If you insist on buying your dog’s food, do not purchase any that contains corn meal. Most dogs are highly allergic to corn/corn meal. It is nothing but a filler. If you are curious about cooking for your dog, just Google recipes.

Good luck with Boomer. There is no cure for Cushings other than surgery (which can be dangerous), but you can at least provide quality of life for your fur baby. Here is a link that may help educate you on Cushings.
DogAware.com Articles: Cushing's Disease
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 07:20 PM

19,187 posts, read 14,900,151 times
I just have to ask how you came up with the diet that you are feeding your dog. And, I side with the vet. A dog that is overweight and older will have a lot of physical problems and your dog is significantly overweight. Your dog needs a healthy diet and then go from there.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:14 PM

6,090 posts, read 8,985,657 times
Boomer is doing ok and has lost a little weight but not much. He is on Science Diet Metabolic with green beans. He is still hungry all the time. No snacks. No extras except maybe lettuce in his bowl. He has more energy and can walk with us now the whole way. His back legs are still weak and his belly is big, but other than simply starving the poor animal, he cannot lose weight. Whether or not its Cushings, I am not going to change anything. No meds. He seems happy and has more energy and I cannot ask for more. I added Cushex but doubt that it does anything.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,455 times
I have a malteses mix with cushings. She was on trilostine for the past year and got very ill. while she was on antibiotics no sign of cushings..( vet took her off trilostine while she was on antibiotics) Now her symptoms are slowly coming back for cushings.. I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about adrenal gold..all natural supplement for cushings, I think I want to try someting else

Old 11-19-2015, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,140 times
Default Adrenal Harmony Gold works!

My 11 y/o bishon poodle mix was diagnosed with cushings. She had most of the symptoms, lethargic, panting, bloated belly weakening the hind legs but her test showed the levels were not severe to start her on the expensive pharma drugs. Our vet who is a family friend recommended off the record to do some holistic research which brought me to Adrenal Harmony. I read the review on their site and amazon and figured to give it a try. Within days, not weeks or months, but about a week, her whole demeanor changed, she was no longer panting constantly, she was energetic and much more alert.
She's been on AHG for about a month now and things are getting more better. We walk about 1/2 mile ever day, she no longer has to urinate constantly, her belly is reduced and she just seems overall more happier than a month ago.

I've also made changes to her diet from commercial dog food to human food, ground beef, turkey, or chicken, sweet potatoes, carrots and green beans and apples. Once or twice a week, I will mix in an egg yolk and at least 2X week a capsule of fish oil. Other supplements she is on are 1/2 tablet of cosequin daily, 20 drops of milk thistle 2X per day, 3mg melatonin at night, 1 chew of vetri science renal support in the am, 1 chew of vetri science senior dogs support in pm & 5 drops 2X per day of dandelion/Hawthorne every other day. Nothing has given her any dietary issues and she is very happy with the change from dog food to human food.

As long as things stay the same or get better, there is no why she will every go on pharma drugs. the $45 (amazon) every 2 months for AHG is well worth it.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,036 times
Hello,

This is my experience with my boxer and cushings. She has been through hell and back the last three to four months. She had all the symptoms in the book, excessive panting, restlessness, extreme hunger, extreme thirst, severe weight loss and muscle wasting, constant accidents due to water consumption, and random spurs of energy where she needs to get out and run.

She has improved significantly, with changing her diet, supplementation, and Adrenal Harmony Gold. Ultimately, I believe that it is all these changes that have helped her. She has been on Adrenal Harmony Gold for about two months now, and for about 1 month and a half she had almost NO symptoms. It was wonderful, but I will say this, about two weeks ago, I was running low on Adrenal Harmony and ordered it a little late. I did go a couple of days with out it, and she was not doing good. Her symptoms were progressively getting worse.

Right now, she is back on it, and her symptoms are better, but not gone completely. She is drinking more water than normal, constantly hungry, and having some accidents (if not home).

I have listed all the initial changes I made, below :

-Changed diet to RAW-HIGH PROTEN-NO CARBS. Half home made and half store bought ( Brand from Sprouts Farmers
Market: I And Love And You)
-Ground Flaxseed Lignans in every meal
-High dose of Vitamin C
-Adrenal Harmony Gold

I made extreme changes, but my dog has a better quality of life right now, and that is what matters.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs