Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:34 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times

Advertisements

Ummm...well, I was thinking of inbreeding like with people...kinfolk and kinfolk, LOL! Maybe I misstated myself...we always say some of the folks here are inbred!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 03:36 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Ummm...well, I was thinking of inbreeding like with people...kinfolk and kinfolk, LOL! Maybe I misstated myself...we always say some of the folks here are inbred!
Oh I see. I was just wondering.

I hear stuff like that all the time about people, jokes about inbreds. Can bring out some bad crazy genes in some people (sometimes in dogs too). Although its OT its amazing how many people are inbred (at least somewhere) and don't know it...lol I was surprised myself.

I also couldn't read the article. It said I have to be a subscriber?

Old 12-31-2007, 05:59 PM

Ah, crud - I was afraid of that. I'll look it up tomorrow and paraphrase. Hate this copyright stuff!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:53 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I think that ultimately, it will and should become more difficult to own a dog. I hate extra rules and restrictions as much as anyone, but the problem is that the US is becoming more densely populated with both people and dogs. It's like our highways, the more cars and trucks on the road, the lower the posted maximum speed limits.

Plus look at these dog attacks making the news. In many cases, the dogs were roaming freely, they attacked, some dogs were never caught and also their owners never found. And I see many sad stories of people whose dogs got attacked in a dog park, high medical bills were rung up in an effort to save their dog's life and the attacking dog's owner was never found and held responsible. I've also read where the victims were begging to at least be told if the attacking dog had their rabies shots.

Add to this, many dog owners that are no responsible and don't keep their pets up to date with their shots or don't bother getting their dogs spayed or neutered. Too many unwanted pets are filling our shelters, many are being euthanized and all at great expensive to the tax payers.

So unfortunately we have a situation that needs to be corrected. Of the larger and potentially more aggressive dog breeds, their ownership needs to be more closely monitored. No more backyard breeding. I guess pit bulls are not recognized by the AKC, but their owners need to organize and get together to self monitor themselves.

I think that all dog owners need to have their dogs assessed fairly as to their potential for causing damage to other animals and people. Part of getting a dog license tag should be having proof of having adequate insurance coverage for their dogs. And if you can't afford the insurance, then get a smaller milder dispostioned dog. And if you can't afford the insurance premiums, it also means that you can't afford to pay for any damages your dogs might cause.

I find it interesting that the companies writing home owners insurance find it too risky to insure for certain breeds of large dogs. Even the lure of charging higher insurance premiums is not enough incentive to allow those breeds to be present.

Maybe this comes down to defining what makes a good pet quality dog. Not all tamed animals make good pets.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:09 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Answer is simple, ban the irrisponsible owners from having dogs. Your dog roams and bites, give a warning (some states have 1 bite rule), roams again, by by to your dog ownership for X amount of years. It would even help with all of the drug / criminals that have dogs, extra excuse to search the property, no ?

Old 01-02-2008, 03:18 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Miu, just a poster here..no modding going on...insurance companies are falling victim to hype too. As soon as the Cocker Spaniels of the world have a few black marks, you'll see a new side to insurance.
Well... car insurance companies seem to be able to deal with insuring those under the age of 25. And most dog bites themselves are usually a visit to the ER for stitches. But what do you do when a child gets attacked and killed? In this sue happy world of ours, that is the crux of the problem, having a dog that has the ability to kill.

Some towns I believe have a rule that if a dog bites once or twice, it is taken away to be put to sleep. I read a story last year about a woman with a purebred show quality small dog that bit a workman in her house, even after he was warned and told not to be inside the house. The dog was just being naturally protective. The dog was put to sleep by the authorities and she couldn't do anything to stop it.

If all dog owners had to have insurance, then the insurance premium pool would be large enough to withstand the occasional payout.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:19 PM

Insurance companies are falling victim to hype too. As soon as the Cocker Spaniels of the world have a few black marks, you'll see a new side to insurance. But I think rescue groups are attempting to address this in their own small way by making sure in many cases that you do have homeowners insurance or an extra rider that will cover a dog bite - any dog bite. Or cat bite, for that matter.

Although I agree with you in theory, the stance of ownership you're bringing to the table is strangely PETA-like, and those folks frankly scare me sometimes.

We can try to legislate responsibility but it rarely works, otherwise there wouldn't be fools riding around on a motorcycle without a helmet. I would agree that the OWNERS are the fault in this equation, which would bring us to every endangered breed's favorite battle cry: Ban the deed, not the breed - so now we're in a pickle. If we actually ban who/what is responsible, we've just eradicated people.

Responsible breeders and owners DO monitor themselves and try to be a solution to a greater problem - a responsible breeder has litters for the betterment of the breed, not just to make a few bucks or to have puppies or whatever. They are seriously concerned with producing the best temperament dogs and dogs that are closest to breed standard - but breed standard with my chosen breed, the Rottweiler, is never going to be a cushy lap dog - they were bred standoffish, strong temperaments, strong willed...to breed them for less is an insult to this particular breed. I will grant you, though, they are not the dog for everyone. With the ones closest to breed standard you'd better have an iron will and be ready to keep that dog in check every minute. Is that a fault of the breed? Nope, that's a strength - they are working dogs and they need a job. If you can't provide them that, you don't need a Rottie.

The one part of your argument I will join hands and sing with you on is that not all tamed animals make good pets. The rest of the hype put out by the media with regard to restricting breeds? I will have to sit back and sing Kum Ba Ya on that one...

Old 01-02-2008, 03:33 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,030 times
A pug is included??? not that I like the breed much. They have more problems keeping their eyes in their sockets than agressive habits. Geez. Are there other organziations that have come together for other states???

What kinds of letters can we send? how can we inform other pet owners about this?

Old 01-02-2008, 03:49 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Tell them what BSL is, and that when they are done with "Pitbulls" and the like that their Lab is next and such. Heck the GR is already on that list. People need to get their heads out of the clouds when it comes to such issues. Call your legislators, contact local dog groups.
The people who write these laws are either 1) Afraid of dogs, or certain dogs or 2) Hate dogs alltogether. That is the last kind of person you can rely on for a law because its written with emotion that isnt thought out, and not the brain.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:01 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times
this is so ridicules. This isn't about the breed, it's about being controlling. They shoudl join a HOA if they wanna be bossy. Don't get my started on HOA GRRRRRRRRR!

Hope it works out !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs