Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 12:24 PM

857 posts, read 2,216,792 times

Advertisements

Wondering what people think on this one.

I know it is said, if able dogs go off some place to die. Yet I am wondering how they could know about death, if they have never experienced it.

Personally, I have to think they just don't feel well and wander off when able to, to be left alone..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 12:35 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Wondering what people think on this one.

I know it is said, if able dogs go off some place to die. Yet I am wondering how they could know about death, if they have never experienced it.

Personally, I have to think they just don't feel well and wander off when able to, to be left alone..
thats what I am thinking, too.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:59 PM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Most dogs have come across something dead, so they probably understand that.

From what I have read, dogs live in the moment, so they don't think about the future.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:36 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post

From what I have read, dogs live in the moment, so they don't think about the future.
Oh, I don't know...my dog certainly knows the future brings him walks! And dinner. He KNOWS when it is dinner time. To the minute. So he is thinking about the future and waiting until he knows it is dinner time and then very insistently lets me know!

Old 11-04-2014, 11:07 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,470,532 times
Its the same in the wild, a sick or injured animal will go off to be alone.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:17 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
I know that dogs know when a big change is coming, something that will change their lives. I remember a dog that on the day he was leaving his family for another place, just sat by the door that whole morning with his back and face leaning against it, looking very sad. They even tried to give him his favorite foods, which he never passed up, but he did that morning. When the car came to get him, he got in without fighting and usually he would protest going even to the Vet; that day he walked in as if he didn't want to cause his family any additional pain and sadness. He walked in the car and the family never will forget the look on his face.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:54 AM

37 posts, read 277,830 times
I really wouldn't rely on a dog knowing they are going to die. Maybe if they have been hiding a sickness for a long time or are very, very old but dogs with heart disease for example can die very suddenly. The same with dogs who have eaten poison, are in renal or liver failure and some cancers. I know when my dog was dying he wanted to be around us. He went into respiratory distress, was briefly stabilised and then suddenly decompensated (at the vets). He died after going into cardiac arrest. We didn't even have time to euthanise him. Four days earlier he had just started eating again. At around 3am on the day he died he ate some food and had a big drink then slept with us. People tried to comfort us by saying he "took the decision out of our hands" but really he was very, very sick and his body just couldn't take anymore. Just like a human. Please don't expect your dog to predict his own future. No one can do that.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:22 AM

857 posts, read 2,216,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Oh, I don't know...my dog certainly knows the future brings him walks! And dinner. He KNOWS when it is dinner time. To the minute. So he is thinking about the future and waiting until he knows it is dinner time and then very insistently lets me know!
I agree with above.

We think our one dog knows time, once it hits his time for his meal, he is already standing in the kitchen.
If for some reason things get a little delayed, he comes and stares at us and barks, saying in his own say "Hey feed me"

Yes he can project ahead.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:39 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,514 times
I think their some truth to it. Dogs are smart creatures.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:18 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
You could ask the same thing about many species of animals less intelligent than dogs. How do salmon know to swim upstream before they die? How do many other specias travel thousands of miles back to their birthplace to die. It's like genetically built into them. I remember reading an article on here a while back about how dogs spin before pooping because they have to find the earths access or something like that I forget what the explaination was but many things are instinctual with animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs