Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:07 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times

Advertisements

MODERATOR:

I am clueless why this ended up in pets, as it began in MA and is a Boston related subject that the OP has seen fit to expound upon.

The stance of the pro and anti APBT people is well documented in this forum. I'm letting this stand simply because we all get to express our opinion. However, I would ask that we not re-hash everything that's already been said or post more pictures - anyone that is interested in either side has plenty to keep them busy reading her on the Dog forum.

Please keep the tone respectful and avoid terms like "everyone" and "all of those dogs", as I don't believe people or animals should be lumped into a pile and judged as a whole.

Give everyone the courtesy of believing what they want to believe. Present facts and your opinion in good spirit...or otherwise the Evil New Year Grinch will shut down the thread! No, wait, I didn't mean to say that...well, you know what I mean!

Thanks ya'll!

Sam

Old 01-02-2008, 02:32 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Dear Sam, could the pit bull people have their own sub forum? Just like the Christians have their offshoot forum from the Religion one.

Respectfully,
miu

Old 01-02-2008, 02:58 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
I have absolutely no authority over subforums - however, I am going to shoot from the lip and say no...because then the Rottweiler people want their own, and the Labrador owners, and the chihuahuas. Too many "special" makes the forum too fragmented. And then we go into cats - Siamese, Main Coone, and tabbies.

The purpose of the forum is for everyone to discuss things and obtain different viewpoints. If the subject matter is of no interest to you or anyone else, you have the option to just shine on past it...by the same token, if it is of interest to you, feel free to contribute as long as we all stay within the Terms of Service.

I think comparing dogs and religion is a little farfetched to say the least. Please feel free to post in About the Forum and see what the Administrator thinks. Personally? I like the mixture - and covering Pets>Dogs>Cats is enough for me, never mind breaking it down into breeds.

A long answer to a short question!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:59 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,787 times
Default thanks Sam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
*Note the messages in bold lettering*
Here...here! It is a long road...and one which I am more than willing to trot down...as are quite a few other APBT/Staff owners on this BB.
Citybythebay, I just noticed I called you Outofthebay! Whoops! Thanks for the bold!

I forgot to mention I don't blame Green Machine for stating sometimes it's too scary to adopt a pitty from the shelter with unknown history. It's very safe to say it's a bit overwelming and a bit scary. I find that with any dog from teh shelter actually; especially when it's got no history on it's file. You don't know what has happened to it. Hence the problems we had with our black lab mix and his huge fears of doorways. It's a big commitment for sure to take on a pit with no history. A lot of work; like an adopted child with an abuse history. But, like any challenge, the rewards can be so much greater. It's just takes a strong person to step up to the challenge, right?

Old 01-02-2008, 04:33 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Yes it can. My great Pyrenese had agression issues and i had to work allot with him. He didnt like big men, which meant me hehe. He was badly abused, but with love and good treatment almost any dog can be turned around

Old 01-02-2008, 05:33 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,026 times
Default Good dogs start with GOOD OWNERS!

I get furious when I hear people downing these "bully" breeds. They are not for LAZY OWNERS who just want to bring home a companion. They require TRAINING. They are not a breed for people who are never home. They have to be socialized, like any other breed.

They want to WORK for you. The terrier in them is strong. Their special gifts have been used in crime prevention, search & rescue, and in Hollywood.

These regulations going up against them should apply to ALL breeds. In 2000, in LA, a Pomeranian killed a 6 week-old baby. Rotts & German Shepherds have high fatal bite records...

I am a Certified Veterinary Technician. I can say from personal experience that the breeds I have been in more danger around haven't had a drop of pit bull blood in them. In fact the bites I have received have been from a Border Collie, a Blue Heeler, and a Miniature Poodle. The pits & crosses we have had the pleasure to know have been perfect patients. Also, interestingly enough, in the vet med field, you will find a LOT of vets & techs own pits & their crossed cousins. There are a TON of labs but the least owned breed, for surprise aggression, are Chows. Ask your vet staff what kinds of dogs they own.

I own a Boxer/Pit, an American Bulldog, and an English Staffordshire Bull Terrier. All rescued, all trained, all family members, all love-a-bull (and they get along fine with 4 cats)!

ATTS - American Temperament Test Society, Inc. - Home

Old 01-02-2008, 05:55 PM

459 posts, read 804,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapl View Post
Very true, GreenMachine. It's not surprising that a pitbull would eat a car tire. Their extremely high energy, unpredictability, their capacity for absolutely mangling its victim(s) with their bites, and their ability to jump over 8-foot fences, as well as their fight-to-the-death mentality and their extremely high pain threshfold are what make these particular dogs especially risky to have as pets.

HAHAHAHAHA.. You forgot that they can lift a car, and they can jump over entire lakes and they could jump to the moon if they really tried. You sound just like the anchor on my local news. My question to you is have you ever owned a pit bull?

Old 01-02-2008, 06:08 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Yes it can. My great Pyrenese had agression issues and i had to work allot with him. He didnt like big men, which meant me hehe. He was badly abused, but with love and good treatment almost any dog can be turned around
I agree with you. I don't own a Pitbull, but I do own two very aggressive dogs that I rescued (an Alaskan Husky female, and a Mastiff male). Lots of love, good even-handed treatment and socialization with other dogs and humans in a controlled environment can temper even the most aggressive dogs. It won't get rid of their aggressive behavior, but it does teach them when it is and isn't appropriate.

I pick my dogs specifically because I want that aggressive quality. As puppies I flip them on their back and give them a gentle tummy rub. If they lay there and enjoy the scratching, I put them down and pick up another. If they struggle to right themselves and try to bite me, then I take them home.

I have friends with dogs and we get together frequently, so my dogs get introduced to theirs and visa versa as well as become accustom to other humans, including children. Will my dogs bite someone they don't know if they enter my home? Absolutely! Mastiffs in particular make excellent guardians and tend to be bigger and a correspondingly stronger bite than Pitbulls.

It was very evident to me after reading the OP that mapl is only regurgitating mainstream media misinformation and doesn't have the first clue about dogs or their behavior. mapl is precisely the kind of person who should never be allowed to own a dog.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:28 PM

68 posts, read 398,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
HAHAHAHAHA.. You forgot that they can lift a car, and they can jump over entire lakes and they could jump to the moon if they really tried. You sound just like the anchor on my local news. My question to you is have you ever owned a pit bull?
No, Harley...I've never owned a pitbull, and, frankly, I wouldn't want to.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:32 PM

24 posts, read 94,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
Ok, now you have me laughing my ass off!

This thread is unbelievable. Are we talking about a BREED OF DOG or a friggin Bigfoot here? Jesus criminy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs