Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 04:32 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
Having been in a small crate all that time, anyone would develop some degree of claustrophobia!

IF treated properly with EFT or something similar, he'll likely get over it, if that's the problem:
http://www.eftwithanimals.com/introduction/
http://animal-eft.org/what_is_eft_animals.htm

However, if he never bonded with the humans in his life when young,
I don't know how much EFT can change him into being bonded with the humans now in his life.

But, maybe he just prefers being outdoors, never having acclimated to being indoors when young.
You never know!

As long as he has a place of shelter that's warn to get into, and it isn't accessible to other critters that might want to harm him, I wouldn't try to force him into accepting an in-house lifestyle.

IF there's a really bad storm, though, that you want to bring him in from -or- super hot weather he needs protected from . . . you should be prepared with a way to keep him calm for the duration.

For this I would suggest trying him out in short spurts indoors while playing calming music. There are companies selling music specifically for calming dogs from anxiety, and animal shelters claim it has really helped quiet the dogs! Many of them reportedly just curl up & go to sleep. There are samples of such music on Youtube, as well as various other websites: calming dog music - Dogpile Web Search=
I'll check those out.. He's great with humans.. Unless he sees people he doesnt recognize, he can be a barker but he's a good guard dog! He's got plenty of shelter, shade, space to run and play no other dogs can get in with the way the fence is set up so he's as safe as can be. It's just getting colder now and I just dont want it to get too cold for him.. I feel like a horrible dog owner leaving him outside but he just refuses to stay inside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 05:52 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I had a bluetick that wanted nothing to do with the indoors, and that was in WV. There is another thread right now about 'outdoor' dogs. She stayed outside even in the snottiest and coldest weather.

My dog's whole life was her acreage and woods. She was a working dog and wanted NOTHING with the house until she got older. She was still very much a family dog- we all played with her outside, fed her and pet her, but her job was that property. When I was outside working (which was frequent) she was right by my side.

When my son was in Cub Scouts, we had the boys over for a weekend camping trip down on my property along the creek. Old Blue coursed up and down the tents all night, staying awake and alert acting as the guard dog. She was a great, great dog.

Your dog may feel somewhat the same- attached but with a sense of purpose. With the right housing, plenty of food (and fat) for the winter months- the dog will adapt. Of course some breeds simply cannot adapt, such as a Basenji or a little hairless, but their DNA was not programmed to guard or work in colder weather. If your breed is from a line of hardy working dogs, or if it's a mutt that shows a willingness to want to stay outside- it should adapt. Heavier coat, hardier appetite- it's all normal.

Sounds like the dog is happy.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:03 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
^^ This. He may change his mind as he gets older and want to be in more. I too believe dogs belong inside with their family but I also think, that in this case since he's happier outside, I wouldn't force him to be inside (unless outside is dangerous). It might just reinforce his opinion that inside is bad and outside is good if you force the issue.
That could be true.

Maybe his inside time should be feeding time.....he will associate inside with a good thing, food.....then let him go back outside as soon as he asks.

Another plus about feeding him inside......no ants and flies getting all over his dish and food. Ick.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,408 times
First of all God bless you for being such a caring animal lover. I have an aging yellow lab with the same problem. He loves to be outside on my deck. Here in Jackson,Tn. we are in the middle of an extremely cold period- below freezing and it took me 3 hours this evening, plus some treats to get him in the house. He has never stayed out all night. But for some reason, he prefers the out doors. My other two dogs, a german shepherd and a beagle hate the cold and the heat they do their business and it's back in their beds.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:25 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Do dogs get claustrophobia? I have no idea...maybe that's what is going on, and the idea of being confined, even in a house, is too much for him?

Any dog behaviorists know?

If he's happy outside, then let him be outside. It sounds like your parents have given this dog the world, and he loves it. If he gets attention all day long, and at night he's on his own, but he's HAPPY that way, then as hard as it is on you, let him have it. He spent far too long sitting in a tiny little crate...let him have his open space.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Do dogs get claustrophobia? I have no idea...maybe that's what is going on, and the idea of being confined, even in a house, is too much for him?

Any dog behaviorists know?

If he's happy outside, then let him be outside. It sounds like your parents have given this dog the world, and he loves it. If he gets attention all day long, and at night he's on his own, but he's HAPPY that way, then as hard as it is on you, let him have it. He spent far too long sitting in a tiny little crate...let him have his open space.
Very true he's a spoiled dog indeed.. He was in a crate in the laundry room all day/night : ( (Im guessing laundry room because when I first for pictures of him it seemed like he was in a laundry room). My parents just added a blanket over his dog house door to block the cold air and it seems to be working for him as well...(and he can come in and out just fine!)

Old 11-17-2014, 06:58 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
He's a lucky dog to have you rescue him from that hellish place. Let him enjoy his life outside, but visit him often. It's a win, win, situation!

Old 11-17-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
He's a lucky dog to have you rescue him from that hellish place. Let him enjoy his life outside, but visit him often. It's a win, win, situation!
He gets plenty of love from his dog parents and siblings I just felt like a horrible person for leaving him out but I actually went into his house(its too big for him and Im tiny so I fit in there lol) and with the blanket my parents added to his door, you dont feel any of the cold air at all!!!! Its pretty cozy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs