Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:48 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If they chased that deer across a roadway someone could be hurt or, even killed.
Deer cross roads all the time absent of dogs. What's your point?

Old 11-23-2014, 09:51 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Guess you have never seen a pack of dogs running loose........
I have, and I can't shoot them. What's your point?

Old 11-24-2014, 12:26 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times
The three SSS applies here. When you live in the country you do not always call for services.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:01 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Guess you have never seen a pack of dogs running loose........
Yes I have actually. At a park where we camp hunt dogs who never returned to their owners formed packs and you can hear them all over the park. Been a problem there on and off for years, once they ran right through our site.

Once we had dogs of our own this scared the crap out of me, I was worried they would attack our dogs. I was glad to hear the park folks were going to destroy them. Problem of course is this is not even close to the same situation. That was a pack of 7-8 wild dogs who needed to kill to survive, this was a "pack" of 2 family pets who would return to their homes to be fed and loved.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 11-24-2014 at 05:47 AM..

Old 11-24-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I have kept a pack of coyote dogs (my sight hounds) for decades. Those dogs were all trained to leave livestock, poultry, and deer alone. It's not hard to train them. They were all trained to break off the hunt and come to me when I called them, so that they would not chase into areas where they should not be nor close to roads.

Those dogs were never ever off my property unsupervised and any chases of coyotes were supervised and the dogs always in sight. After 1975, all chases of coyotes were on my own property and the dogs never hunted off my property.

These dogs slept on my own bed with me. They were just as loved as any other family pet dog.

My son has owned gun dogs that he hunted over. Those dogs slept on his bed, but they were also carefully trained to not chase livestock, poultry, or deer. They were never off the property unsupervised.

Just because a dog hunts does not mean it is not loved and cherished. Just because a dog works livestock, or guards, or does some other type of work does not mean that the dog is not loved and cherished.

I know a lot of people who have dogs that work and those dogs are all loved and well cared for. Those dogs are also better trained and get to go with more than a typical house pet.

It's a terrible insult to state that working dogs can't be loved.
Quote:
Thank you.......well said.
Before you beat your chest in victory Driller please show me where oregon said he would shoot his dog if it disobeyed his command. I never claimed working dogs could not be loved. I simply challenged the idea that an owner who said he would shoot his dog, and encouraged others to do the same, truly loves his dogs the way pet owners do.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong. Next time I'm at the dog park I'll take a survey to find out how many pet owners would shoot their dog, and encourage others to do the same, should they disobey a specific command. I'll let you know the results.

That has been my issue with this entire story. Despite ignorant posts by ignorant posters who obviously don't know that they are talking about this action is illegal. And that's for a reason.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 11-24-2014 at 05:42 AM..

Old 11-24-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
If they chased that deer across a roadway someone could be hurt or, even killed.

Still hanging to this remote possibility as justification for shooting a pet I see.

Look I agree if a dog is allowed to run loose and he is destroying livestock then that dog needs to be moved, contained, or destroyed. And if he is running into hunting territory that is screwing up the up the hunting then that is a big problem. I get all that. My solution for the second situation is to fine the owner big time. My solution is not to shoot the dog because the owners deserve it.

Again if you are telling me that every dog on every farm is penned in or kept inside then you have not spent much time on a farm. For the most part they run free and stay close to home. If the owners leave their home they should put the dog inside, I totally agree. But again this dog was shot for sport, he was not shot because he was destroying someone's livelihood. And the shooter was arrested and will be charged. As he should be. Those here who are basically encouraging his behavior as a way of teaching his owners a lessen make me very very frustrated.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:29 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Before you beat your chest in victory please show me where he said he would shoot his dog if it disobeyed his command not to chase deer. I never claimed working dogs could not be loved. I simply challenged an owner who said he would shoot his dog, and encouraged others to do the same, truly loves his dogs the way pet owners do.

That has been my issue with this entire story. Despite ignorant posters this action is illegal. And that's for a reason.
It doesn't matter whether it is legal or not to shoot dogs who run deer. It happens, and it happens a lot. It also doesn't matter whether you, I, or anybody else here find this practice repugnant- it will continue to happen because 2) owners let their dogs run loose during hunting season, and 2) stray dogs without homes will pack up and chase deer. Whether it is a nut job like this hunter who killed the dog in question or a hunter who sees dogs running deer, this is an unfortunately common practice. Is it right to do so? I would hope that a hunter would do so only if a deer was in dire danger, and then only if it were clear these were stray dogs. Clearly some hunters don't wait to make that distinction and/or aren't qualified to make that distinction, they only know that the dogs are disrupting their hunt.

Unless the hunter tells someone they shot the dog, nobody will ever know that this is what happened to their pet. The only way to ensure your pet's safety is to take whatever measures are needed during hunting season to keep it safe. As I mentioned in my earlier post, where I lived in rural NY, I didn't even leave my dog out in my yard during hunting season due to people with guns blasting away at everything that moved, often taking pot-shots from cars or illegally shooting close to houses. I would NEVER walk my dog anywhere other than a main road during daylight hours during hunting season. In addition to the responsible hunters there are idiots who will shoot anything that moved including humans, dogs, livestock, houses, cars, etc.

Maybe it takes a certain amount of experience living in a rural area to understand this.

By the way, if I am understanding correctly- Driller's point was to shoot his dogs IF you see them chasing deer, but that since they have been trained not to chase deer, you won't have the opportunity to shoot them.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
It doesn't matter whether it is legal or not to shoot dogs who run deer. It happens, and it happens a lot. It also doesn't matter whether you, I, or anybody else here find this practice repugnant- it will continue to happen because 2) owners let their dogs run loose during hunting season, and 2) stray dogs without homes will pack up and chase deer. Whether it is a nut job like this hunter who killed the dog in question or a hunter who sees dogs running deer, this is an unfortunately common practice. Is it right to do so? I would hope that a hunter would do so only if a deer was in dire danger, and then only if it were clear these were stray dogs. Clearly some hunters don't wait to make that distinction and/or aren't qualified to make that distinction, they only know that the dogs are disrupting their hunt.

Unless the hunter tells someone they shot the dog, nobody will ever know that this is what happened to their pet. The only way to ensure your pet's safety is to take whatever measures are needed during hunting season to keep it safe. As I mentioned in my earlier post, where I lived in rural NY, I didn't even leave my dog out in my yard during hunting season due to people with guns blasting away at everything that moved, often taking pot-shots from cars or illegally shooting close to houses. I would NEVER walk my dog anywhere other than a main road during daylight hours during hunting season. In addition to the responsible hunters there are idiots who will shoot anything that moved including humans, dogs, livestock, houses, cars, etc.

Maybe it takes a certain amount of experience living in a rural area to understand this.

By the way, if I am understanding correctly- Driller's point was to shoot his dogs IF you see them chasing deer, but that since they have been trained not to chase deer, you won't have the opportunity to shoot them.

No Driller was pretty clear that if they did not learn he would shoot them. Not sure what's to argue about here, it was pretty clear what he was saying and it's equally clear that this has been what I have been objecting to all along.

Quote:
We hunt with dogs........they can to taught not to chase deer.......or, we will shoot them.

It should also be pretty clear that I have objected to the posts that pretty much say it's OK to shoot a dog even thought it's illegal. They seem to justify it as a way of punishing the owners.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:16 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,099 times
The owner was to blame for his dog getting shot and killed. Any dog running deer (or livestock) is liable to be killed, but the kill must be by a game warden or other official and not by a hunter. Both the dog's owner/s and the hunter were in the wrong. Just because you live in the country does not mean your dog/s should not be under control. they should not be chasing and/or killing wildlife or livestock. Ranchers will kill any dog harrassing livestock.

Last edited by skelaki; 11-24-2014 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 11-24-2014, 06:17 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Those here who are basically encouraging his behavior as a way of teaching his owners a lessen make me very very frustrated.
You are just going to have to remain frustrated.

I can agree the shooter bragging about it was just stupid........most will just SSS.

If anything.......I hope others learn to keep their dogs out of the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs