Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 11:46 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

Idle curiosity, mostly. Does anyone know if a purebred Doberman always throws the bi-color (black and tan) markings in a mixed breed litter?

Friends of mine own the most wonderful German Wired Haired Pointer, obtained at the pound (so yes, perfect dogs are occasionally available at the pound). So no one knows much of anything about her.

The thing about her is that she is extraordinarily tall for a German Pointer. She is slender built, solid chocolate in color, tight flews, slim in the skull, and she has extremely high toes and thick pads.

It's those boxy feet that make me wonder if she has Doberman in her. Those tall compact feet are only seen on very few breeds. Deerhounds have them, but there is nothing sight-houndy about this dog.

Everything about her could be Doberman. I've occasionally seen a Doberman that tall; not common, but not impossible. She's velcro and not independent like a pointer should be. The slim skull is more Doberman than pointer. The slim build and boxy feet could be Doberman, the tight flews could be Doberman. The straight ruler edge topline could be Doberman.

She's wire haired, but it is a thin coat. More of a broken coat and possibly it is a half-breed wire coat.

The only thing that does not say Doberman is that she is 100% chocolate color without even a single hair of any other color on her. No tan feet, no tan muzzle, no tan pips, no tan at her vent. No white, either. Solid chocolate, with light eyes appropriate to chocolate coat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 12:00 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
No cause dobies them selves come in different colors. Fawn, Blue, Red & also white It also depends on what colors are in the parent backgrounds. & what colors are dominate.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:16 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
I don't know, but I'd love to see a website about dog genetics, just to try to answer this kind of question about mixed breed dogs. It would be fascinating to try to piece things together by knowing what physical traits are dominant.
I was once looking for info about my (probably) pit/dane dog, and ran across something written by a dog geneticist about Great Danes. I emailed him a brief question, which he ignored, I assume because she's "just" a mutt.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:53 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
The tan point pattern must be carried by both parents to be produced. Notice I said " carried "- neither parent has to be tan pointed.

Tan pointed can be black and tan, liver and tan, blue and tan, red and tan, fawn and tan, etc.

The tan point pattern is well studied by scientists. There is lots of info on it. See if you can find Clarence Little's-" The Inheritance of Coat Color in Dogs".

To answer the OP's question- Yes, a puppy from a tan pointed Doberman parent can be solid colored and can be solid liver or brown.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:51 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
I Had that book when I was a Breeder! It was Rare then But if you can find it, it IS a Fantastic book!

Wind I cant rep you

Old 11-24-2014, 07:32 PM

621 posts, read 1,422,051 times
Wirehairs have been my breed for over 30 yrs. Can you post a photo? She might be GWP, or might just be a combo of other breeds that ended up with a wire type of coat. We see some that are posted as GWP's that might have had some GWP back there, somewhere, maybe...... but not all brown dogs with a wire coat are GWPs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs