Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:08 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

It's the idiot owners which should be banned...not the breed.

Pit bulls and their owners celebrate end of ban in Rhode Island town - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 08:02 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Contrary to what some people think, more towns are lifting bans, and more states making BSL unlawful (although they sometimes allow towns that already have it to keep those laws in place, as in Florida). We may yet see a day when laws required owners of all breeds to be responsible owners rather than focusing on breed.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
We can only hope so and keep spreading the word how unnecessary BSL is.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:52 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
Good to hear. If anyone hears an update on that other ban in Louisiana or wherever it was where the girl with the neck problems and halo was going to have to give up her dog please post na update.

I think all bans of a single breed or bad but it was especially bad in that case as the city manager or whoever basically outright said his solution to complaints about dogs off leash was to ban pitbulls. Yes lets say that again, the problm was dogs off leash however instead of instilling stronger leash laws lets ban one breed. Doesn't address the problem.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:09 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Yes the situation in Louisiana was very sad. Zeus, whose family started the petition was a badly needed therapy dog. There had been no documented attack by any dog, per the town government. I saw an article that said they weren't going to enact that law, but didn't specify exactly what the newly written law would be. They said something about, if they'd known Zeus was a therapy dog, they'd have made an exception for him. But regular family dogs are important too. Also, I think the huge number of signatures on various petitions influenced the "Oh, we'd have let him stay if we'd known".

Old 11-25-2014, 11:46 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Always good to see a town's fight come to an end like this!

Old 11-25-2014, 11:56 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Yay! I agree that more aggressive leash laws and lack of containment fines are what's needed - not banning breeds.

They should require that if you own a dog, you have a fence and use a leash when walking the dog. I'm not even a fan of those invisible fences because a fast dog (such as mine) would zip past that thing in a heartbeat if he wanted the squirrel across the street badly enough.

I watch "Pit Bulls and Parolees" on Animal Planet and I love that they do home checks to verify that the potential home is adequate for the dog. When I adopted my pit mix in July the rescue group did the same thing - we walked the perimeter of my fenced yard to make sure it was okay for the dog (it was).

I think all breeders and rescue groups should require home pre-checks to make sure the potential owner has the right safeguards in place.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:09 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We can only hope so and keep spreading the word how unnecessary BSL is.
I try to refer folks to the great info about BSL on the Animal Farm Foundation site.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:30 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
I take hope there are now so many knowledgeable pit bull rescues and advocacy organizations all working to change the bad image that pit bulls have.
I love all types, shapes, sizes of dogs, but pitties with their goofy grins hold a very special place in my heart.
BSL is not the answer. We need better education for all dog owners and the public at large in what constitutes responsible pet ownership.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:09 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
While pitbull advocates are quick to demand the lifting of the ban against their breed, they say nothing about how to reduce pitbull attacks. If their argument is "bad owners", then they should be courageous enough to advocate for the banning of ownership by certain socio-economic groups. Folks, if you want your freedom, you need to take responsibility. For you pitbull folks, that means keeping your beloved breed from the wrong hands because they are just too dangerous. We do this with gun ownership, so why not pitbulls? We make people take a test for pass/fail to get a driving license, so why not the ownership of pitbulls? If you think pitbulls are singled out, then let's extend it for all large and potentially dangerous breeds. There needs to be an attempt to keep these dogs from the wrong people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs