Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

I just moved last week to a new apartment in a new town, and I swear my dog has completely forgotten all of her training.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's so frustrating. Even things like "heel" it seems like we're having to train all over again.

I know that new noises will take a while for her, but all of our training regarding my command "enough" to tell her to quit barking, seems to have flown out the window, too, and I really don't want my neighbors or my new manager to think my dog is a PITA.

So, for those of you who have been through this, how long can I expect this to go on before she "gets" the old rules still apply to the new place?

FYI, I rescued Jackie just last year in November. She's around 6 years old now. Otherwise, not neurotic and a very friendly, very smart rat terrier.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 10:28 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
It will take a couple weeks. And you need to work with her just like you did when you first got her. And give her a lot of attention. High value treats will help too. Let her know she is a valued member of the family.

Rescue dogs are very afraid of change and being abandoned by their human. Remember you don't know what her life was like before she joined your family. She probably is very scared and unsure of herself and her future right now.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:39 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
We made a huge move (changed states & climates) 4 years ago & my chihuhua/Jack Russell got very barky for about a month, & also forgot that she could go out the door to relieve herself...I think she was just confused & stressed about her new surroundings. We had not had her for long before the move, less than a year. It took about a month for her to re-orient, sniff everything out. Now when we travel, she rolls with the punches. So, I think your pup just needs to adjust to her new space. Maybe just walk her around & let her sniff & "mark" a lot...she's the new pup in town! Oh, yeah, my girl was also a rescue, so factor that in.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
It will take a couple weeks. And you need to work with her just like you did when you first got her. And give her a lot of attention. High value treats will help too. Let her know she is a valued member of the family.

Rescue dogs are very afraid of change and being abandoned by their human. Remember you don't know what her life was like before she joined your family. She probably is very scared and unsure of herself and her future right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
We made a huge move (changed states & climates) 4 years ago & my chihuhua/Jack Russell got very barky for about a month, & also forgot that she could go out the door to relieve herself...I think she was just confused & stressed about her new surroundings. We had not had her for long before the move, less than a year. It took about a month for her to re-orient, sniff everything out. Now when we travel, she rolls with the punches. So, I think your pup just needs to adjust to her new space. Maybe just walk her around & let her sniff & "mark" a lot...she's the new pup in town! Oh, yeah, my girl was also a rescue, so factor that in.
Such good advice both of you, thanks. I have noticed that she's having a lot more nightmares. So, you're probably right, she's stressing that I might leave her, too. Thanks for reminding me that she might be scared. I was just getting so frustrated, and of course I know she's safe and I'm not going to abandon her, but she doesn't know that. That helps me be more patient. Thanks.

She was found roaming the streets of a town with a Boston Terrier. The BT group snatched up her housemate right away and left her in the shelter. For all I know, they were abandoned when their owner had to move, so maybe all the boxes and moving is freaking her out.

She obviously was treated well by whoever had her, as she loves people and is overall a happy dog, but they did also abandon her for whatever reason. I heard that shelters charge people money to turn dogs over to them, so maybe that's why she and her pal were simply left on the streets? That's just so mean.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me to be gentle with her. I find myself involved in my own frustrations regarding moving, and expect her to just behave and go with the flow. That's not really fair. Ah, wish I was a saint, LOL.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:04 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Raised dogs 15 yrs ... I moved 3 times each time it took the dogs about a month to start realizing the New to them Neighbors were suppose to be there. Course when you move with a pack of dogs & 2 horses it takes the neighbors a while to adjust LOL I actually had to tell them to just keep driving! Stopping to admire stare or whatever just got them more excited!

Old 12-05-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Raised dogs 15 yrs ... I moved 3 times each time it took the dogs about a month to start realizing the New to them Neighbors were suppose to be there. Course when you move with a pack of dogs & 2 horses it takes the neighbors a while to adjust LOL I actually had to tell them to just keep driving! Stopping to admire stare or whatever just got them more excited!
Oh, that would be so annoying. Hey, nice horses! While your dogs are barking their heads off...

Jackie, even in my last apartment, had a weird need to bark whenever she heard people in the hallway. We only had one neighbor across the hall (we were at the end of the hall), but she came and went frequently and had lots of visitors. It drove me nuts that even after 6 months, Jackie still felt the need to bark loudly every single frickin' time the neighbor came/went/had visitors. We were just starting to make headway with the "enough" command, and then we moved.

She is at the "awareness" stage, where she knows I want her to stop barking when I say "enough." She'll look at me guiltily and kind of slink away - while she continues barking LOL!

But, as they say in 12 step programs, awareness is the first step ha ha! Now, how do I get her to shut up when I say "enough"? This is the goal.

Ironically, she does still go straight into her crate when I say, "crate." Even if she continues barking after I close her in the crate ha ha! I guess it shows she is comfortable in her crate. She's happy to dive into it. That's something, I guess.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:57 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
We moved when First Dog was 4 years old. She was very unhappy about that, although she had a whole new giant back yard to explore. She'd sit in front of the door to the garage and whine and ask to be taken "home," every evening for about a month. And then she adjusted, just like in the other posts.

Ah yes, the "enough" command! We've tried that with three dogs now. Just realized that this year marks the 20th year of us being dog parents . Moderate success with the Enough command. When our new pup stops barking after we say "enough!" we praise her and give her a Charlie Bear (Trader Joe's). I think she now thinks she gets rewarded for barking. Sigh...

You're supposed to say, "Quiet!" and when the dog complies, then "Good quiet!" in a positive tone. Moderate success on that one, too.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:37 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh, that would be so annoying. Hey, nice horses! While your dogs are barking their heads off...

Jackie, even in my last apartment, had a weird need to bark whenever she heard people in the hallway. We only had one neighbor across the hall (we were at the end of the hall), but she came and went frequently and had lots of visitors. It drove me nuts that even after 6 months, Jackie still felt the need to bark loudly every single frickin' time the neighbor came/went/had visitors. We were just starting to make headway with the "enough" command, and then we moved.

She is at the "awareness" stage, where she knows I want her to stop barking when I say "enough." She'll look at me guiltily and kind of slink away - while she continues barking LOL!

But, as they say in 12 step programs, awareness is the first step ha ha! Now, how do I get her to shut up when I say "enough"? This is the goal.

Ironically, she does still go straight into her crate when I say, "crate." Even if she continues barking after I close her in the crate ha ha! I guess it shows she is comfortable in her crate. She's happy to dive into it. That's something, I guess.

OK so first, this is an old problem that you can resolve this time but it takes consistency and follow through.

What you're pointing out is that stopping the bark isn't success; turning off her BRAIN is the success. It's harder.

The WORD is meaningless. This is where "training" is different than dog psychology. TALKING is only effective when it's effective. And it should only take one time.

You need to SHOW her YOU own that building. OR she's just bored and needs to be more tired out. I seem to remember this is her gig, right? LOL. Did a treadmill come with that new apartment?

A tired dog who knows the pack leader owns the house isn't all that interested in front doors making noise.

If you REALLY want her full attention on YOU and off the outside world...put her leash on and stand in front of her. Between her and the door. STAND THERE patiently and WAIT until her brain turns off. "Shhht" or any word or just point at her so she knows you're talking to her. The leash is a subliminal. If you HAVE to then hold the leash and make her look at YOU.

If she's charging the door STOP that. If she's just barking from her bed lazy I'm L O L.

Don't yell "enough" from the sofa or back bedroom or whatever.

Once her brain is in alert mode it's too late for a distant verbal direction. SHE is controlling the situation not YOU the pack leader. So you've lost power right there.

It would be better to try and PRE-EMPT her too, if you can.

When you see her face/ears or stub of a tail (LOL) alert or hear the door activity say very low and serious "no....." or "heyyyy...." or "shhhhht" but not loud. AND WALK RIGHT OVER TO THE DOOR. Point to her or wave her off like "HEY this is none of your concern; I own this door".

You want to get her ATTENTION on YOU.

Don't ADD to the excitement with verbalizing. Her brain is hearing that noise as you JOINING IN.

When I had to move to my mother's for awhile her Lab was on "patrol" like that. I put her leash on and stood in FRONT Of her between her and the bay window. I stood there by the window and corrected her every single time (made her look up at ME and stop the silliness)....and walked her into the den to sit down. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

It was boring but eventually it clicked.

That she was not in CHARGE of that window (or whatever).

I think it's really just a habit. Her entertainment.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 12-07-2014 at 05:46 AM..

Old 12-07-2014, 07:00 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
You've gotten plenty of good advice so I'll just add this bit of humor to help YOU get through the changes:

Hyperbole and a Half: Dogs Don't Understand Basic Concepts Like Moving

Old 12-07-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
You've gotten plenty of good advice so I'll just add this bit of humor to help YOU get through the changes:

Hyperbole and a Half: Dogs Don't Understand Basic Concepts Like Moving
OMG, I laughed so hard I cried! This is the funniest thing I've read in eons. Thanks so much for sharing it! And I love the artwork! So funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs