Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 10,293 times

Advertisements

My little mix breed had an operation to repair a perineal hernia i April of this year. It is back and bigger. I left his regular vet for good, but not because of the surgery. I took him there to get groomed and the groomer in training skinned a place on his stomach bout half the size of my hand and no one said a word when I picked him up. I had to pull off on the side of the road cause he was acting strangely, but that is just a lesson learned. Still like the vet but you know...someone could have told me. He was in pain for many days. Back to the hernia. He is gonna need another surgery. HE IS ACTIVE AND EATS WELL. Does not seem to be in distress. I found a good vet that we all like, but he doesn't do that kind of surgery so here I am looking for a vet who will. I love my dog and I would do anything I can to help him, but these operations are expensive and it is not like vets will put you on a payment plan. And pet insurance...still looking into that and the pre-condition clause. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 12:55 PM

840 posts, read 772,574 times
I one had a tiny hernia, myself. My Doctor said it would take days or longer to go away. I looked up what a hernia is, found out it was due to injury & swelling. So, I took some MSM. It was gone that day! (It has never returned.)

I don't know if MSM would do much to help your dog's hernia, but, I don't see how it could hurt. It is recommended for use with animals as well as humans. My dog gets some every day with each meal. My family uses it, too, though not as often. It's great for a number of reasons.

Pure MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) for Pets:
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/naturvet_msm.html

I recommend reading the articles by Karen Becker, DVM, about constipation in pets & dogs:
http://search.mercola.com/results.aspx?q=dog_hernia

She originally trained as a regular DVM, but later trained in Holistic Pet Care, as well.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:43 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
I've only had to have umbilical hernias fixed on my dogs but when I've had mine fixed they stay fixed. I wonder if the first vet didn't do it correctly (didn't close the entire hole) and it just got bigger over time. I would keep looking until I found a vet that's experienced in that type of surgery so it can be fixed right. I think there is something called a care card that will let you put vet expenses on it and pay out over time (I've never had to use it but I've read about it on a couple of message boards).

I'd be very surprised if MSM affected the hernia especially since it's back and larger. IMO he'll need to see a vet.

Depending on the size, I'd be careful with him jumping etc until you can get it fixed.

Good luck.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:14 PM

840 posts, read 772,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I've only had to have umbilical hernias fixed on my dogs but when I've had mine fixed they stay fixed. I wonder if the first vet didn't do it correctly (didn't close the entire hole) and it just got bigger over time. I would keep looking until I found a vet that's experienced in that type of surgery so it can be fixed right. I think there is something called a care card that will let you put vet expenses on it and pay out over time (I've never had to use it but I've read about it on a couple of message boards).

I'd be very surprised if MSM affected the hernia especially since it's back and larger. IMO he'll need to see a vet.

Depending on the size, I'd be careful with him jumping etc until you can get it fixed.

Good luck.
"Perineal hernia is a hernia involving the perineum (pelvic floor).

The hernia may contain fluid, fat, any part of the intestine, the rectum, or the bladder.

It is known to occur in humans, dogs, and other mammals,
and often appears as a sudden swelling to one side (sometimes both sides) of the anus." (Wikipedia)

They are often caused by constipation from a diet too low in fiber. Very different from an umbilical hernia. The repair may have been fine from the first surgery, the dog developing another one due to no change in the diet.

Swelling cuts down on circulation, causing a longer healing time.
MSM cuts down the swelling by helping repair torn tissue, thus lessening leaking.
(It worked on my small hernia, right after I first noticed it.)

Old 12-12-2014, 08:18 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
we have a Chihuahua with a fat hernia that occurred after a spay...
the vet doesn't wnt to go in and fix it due to her age...
weve found a good diet (keeping her weight correct and keeping her bowls moving regularly) helps a great deal.

grain free diet and keep an ee on any weight gain.
if its just fatty at least.
If its an organ hernia (Intestin, or any organ is peeking through) surgery is the ONLY way to be certain its safe. but youll still have to address the weight issue as hernia repair is delicate and it can re-herniate if enough pressure is placed on the repair site.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:19 AM

1 posts, read 9,768 times
Default $2500 surgery failed for small dogs herena

My very small chawalian dog developed a large mass in her lower nipple. The vet said it was mammary cancer, my husband and i decided after reading up on her condition to let her be and pamper her till the end. It got so large it was almost dragging on the ground so again we went to the vet and said yes to the surgery, price was quoted at $1500. As the vet was starting surgery she took x-ray and saw that there was no tumor but a hernia and her small bowl and bladder and uterus were all in the sack not a cancerous tumor, she was not comfortable doing that kind of surgery so it was not done at that time. Later vet called said for $2700 it could be done we don't have that kind of money so said no. Vet called again said they found a surgeon for $2000. We said yes. Its been 2 months from time of surgery and now both sides have herniated again. I have spent nearly $3000 on this medical condition only for it to have failed. Vet did not put mesh in, when asked why she said because it did not look like it was needed and her nbody could reject it. I demanded that they fix it and at no charge to me. She said she needed to research it and get back to me in a week. Legally where do i stand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs