U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 17,431 times
Unhappy My neighbors female is in heat and my dog will not eat anything....help please?!

We have a black lab who is 2.5 years old and our neighbor has a female who is 1.5 years old who is apparently in heat. Since she started her heat, my male has not eaten and if he does eat it he simply throws it up soon after. Now he won't even eat his treats. Am I in danger of losing my dog, how can I help him, will he eat before he gets to bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:09 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,284,755 times
That is a new one to me. I have never heard of a dog haveing a hard time eating because another dog is in heat. Are you sure it's because of the neighbor's dog? Not that I don't believe you, it just sounds so opposite of what might be the problem...

Old 01-04-2008, 08:05 PM

394 posts, read 1,465,342 times
Is your dog neutered?

Old 01-04-2008, 08:06 PM

1,587 posts, read 4,174,466 times
Never heard of this either..I would ask your vet may be a serious problem going on that just happened at same time. Hope all is well.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:23 PM

526 posts, read 1,504,868 times
Thaddeus....it's not at all uncommon for an intact male to get so excited that he is not interested in eating. Ask any serious breeder - we've all experienced it - usually it's the younger boys who haven't been used at stud much; the older ones seem to know what's going on and handle it better. I've also had some boys throw up occasionally, too. It can be a bit of a problem for breeders who are actively showing a male, as they will drop weight just when you're trying to show them!
He won't starve himself so don't worry...he may drop a few pounds, but she'll be less attractive shortly and he'll resume his appetite. He'll probably start nibbling again within a couple days.

If your boy isn't being shown and you're not planning on breeding him, then neutering him will negate all these issues. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:35 PM

10,593 posts, read 21,763,947 times
Frankly both the dogs should be fixed.

Check out Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. and you will see there are alot of animals out there that need a home. Don't bring more into this world.

Have your dog castrated and he will get his appetite back quick enough.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:22 AM

1,587 posts, read 4,174,466 times
My stud never acts like this but he is a horse also and eats alot anyways so would know if any went off food. I only got the mark everything when female in heat either mine or one in neighborhood.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:11 PM
TCD

1 posts, read 17,256 times
Default female in heat, dog won't eat.

I got on here to look and see what my dog's problem was, and lo and behold, someone had the same problem. My brother brought his female dog to my house to breed with my dog. My male had never been with a female before, we just figured that nature would take over. It did. They did. The female is still here because my brother went overseas. Well, after they "did", my male won't eat, and has thrown up a few times. I tried everything. I even put a piece of ham in his mouth, he spit it out. She's eating like a damn horse. I guess the "deed" was great for her, but not so much for him. At least now I know that it will pass. I just have to deal with it for now. Both dogs, soaking wet, don't weigh 10 pounds, so I sure hope he doesn't lose too much weight. Thanks to Thad, who asked the question, and thanks to the person who answered it.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:01 AM

4,068 posts, read 10,353,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I got on here to look and see what my dog's problem was, and lo and behold, someone had the same problem. My brother brought his female dog to my house to breed with my dog. My male had never been with a female before, we just figured that nature would take over. It did. They did. The female is still here because my brother went overseas. Well, after they "did", my male won't eat, and has thrown up a few times. I tried everything. I even put a piece of ham in his mouth, he spit it out. She's eating like a damn horse. I guess the "deed" was great for her, but not so much for him. At least now I know that it will pass. I just have to deal with it for now. Both dogs, soaking wet, don't weigh 10 pounds, so I sure hope he doesn't lose too much weight. Thanks to Thad, who asked the question, and thanks to the person who answered it.

Good grief don't give your dog ham! Pork can lead to pancreatitis.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:37 PM

452 posts, read 1,025,241 times
Pork is VERY bad for dogs....bad bad bad. Found out the hard way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs