Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 03:08 PM

203 posts, read 337,358 times

Advertisements

You just got to have patience when you train him. I got mine when he was about 9 weeks and it only took my wife and I 2 weeks to train him. We were very strict not letting him out of our sight. We alternated days to train him, took him outside every 2-3 hours to relieve himself and after he would do that, we would cheer him and give him Cheerios for a good job.

After 2 weeks, he knew if he wanted his Cheerios, he would have to relieved himself outside. He has only had one accident since, and I don't blame him because he had diarrhea so he couldn't make it to the door.

Try doing that and I bet he will be housetrained quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 08:52 AM

5 posts, read 51,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
yorkies are terrible with housetraining. Also, maybe he's bored because you won't take him outside. Why would you get a dog if you can't even take him outside "because of the neighbor's vicious dog?"

The neighbors JUST got this dog maybe 3 weeks ago. Like I said he gets to play with my mother in laws dog OUTSIDE every evening at her house for at least 3 hours. So take your judgmental comments elsewhere! And I'm not one to judge a dog but when the dog gets out of a 8ft fence and runs after any animal that comes around trying to attack and the owners won't let it inside the house because it has attacked her kids. Yeah I think it earns the nickname vicious l! I came here asking for advise to get him using the pee pad again. Not to get told that he should do his business outside. With my husbands hours as my 12 hour shifts at the hospital pee pads are what we have to do.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:13 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Put the pad inside a Litter box That gives more Target area since he has to get in the box Also a Less chance of him thinking hes on it when hes not. My 8# pap has no problems getting in the Biggest cat box they make.... They also make kitten sizes too. Then Train him to use it. I put mine on a Floor that also Washable! Keep Paws Trimmed of fur! They get wet then there is Tracking.... Use Vinegar!

Old 12-19-2014, 04:32 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,882 times
you shouldn't have a dog at all if you both work 12 hour shifts.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:04 PM

How about you mom keeping him when you work.... You still need to follow up when home.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:24 AM

287 posts, read 506,596 times
Disclaimer: I'm not the biggest fan of using pee pads. Both the SO and I have met a few pad-trained dogs that have problems down the line eliminating outside.

That said, to be honest, I don't see much (if any) training taking hold while the dog is home alone for 12 hours. I'll second what Katie1 said and see if you can get your mom to watch him while you and the SO are at work... and make sure that you're both on exactly the same page with training.

Assuming that you really can't go outside and you have to use a pee pad, this would be my approach:

Take him to the pad extremely frequently; try every 20-30 minutes or so. Eventually (hopefully) he'll start to associate the pad with eliminating because you're not giving him a chance to do it anywhere else. When you want to need to leave him unattended for a bit, try putting up a pen and lining the bottom with the pads (this only works if he doesn't try to eat them).

If he's being stubborn and won't go—and you think he has to—be patient and wait it out. If he really has to go, he will... it might just take a while. Keep some high-value treats (bacon, a peanut butter-filled Kong, etc.) on hand and immediately—as in the instant he's done eliminating on the pad—give it to him. Don't scold him if he goes somewhere he's not supposed to, only praise him when he uses the pads. When I took Leia home it was the middle of winter and I spent a lot of time freezing my butt off in the snow and rain... you have it easy!

I would also go do a deep clean of the house with a good enzymatic cleaner like 3M or Nature's Miracle to make sure that he's not tempted to go in spots he's gone before.

I learned the hard way that not all dogs are equal when it comes to potty training. My SO's first dog (a cockapoo) was almost completely house trained within a month. Leia, on the other hand, was about 8-9 months old before she was reliably house trained.

Hopefully this helps... it's a frustrating and long process for some, but you'll figure it out!

Old 12-20-2014, 11:27 AM

287 posts, read 506,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaHampton44 View Post
The neighbors JUST got this dog maybe 3 weeks ago. Like I said he gets to play with my mother in laws dog OUTSIDE every evening at her house for at least 3 hours. So take your judgmental comments elsewhere! And I'm not one to judge a dog but when the dog gets out of a 8ft fence and runs after any animal that comes around trying to attack and the owners won't let it inside the house because it has attacked her kids. Yeah I think it earns the nickname vicious l! I came here asking for advise to get him using the pee pad again. Not to get told that he should do his business outside. With my husbands hours as my 12 hour shifts at the hospital pee pads are what we have to do.
You need to call Animal Control. Not only is this dog dangerous to both people and other dogs, it's being neglected and left outside. Bad situation all around.

Additionally, I strongly suggest you get the dog some kind of daytime supervision. I'd ask your mom first, but otherwise I'd put him in a good daycare. 12 hours is way too long to leave a puppy (especially one in the middle of potty training) unattended.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 51,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo View Post
You need to call Animal Control. Not only is this dog dangerous to both people and other dogs, it's being neglected and left outside. Bad situation all around.

Additionally, I strongly suggest you get the dog some kind of daytime supervision. I'd ask your mom first, but otherwise I'd put him in a good daycare. 12 hours is way too long to leave a puppy (especially one in the middle of potty training) unattended.

I've called animal control at least 5 times an they haven't even been out to the neighbors house! And when I complained to the landlord nothing happened because thu are apparently his family.... I work 12 hr shifts my husband does not he works 8-5... My mother in law does watch him right now while I'm at work til my husband gets home but some days she is unable to so we put him in a crate...

Old 12-22-2014, 02:23 PM

You need for find out the Magic your MiL dose... I also suggest you bring home a few pads he used at your MiL that would give him a target! Going from home to home can be confusing even to an adult dog BUT IF you & DH get with the SAME training you MiL uses he figure it out! I put Lady-Bug my pap in a ex-Large dog crate With a Side door Litter pan on one end Food water bed on the other end! She still uses the litter pan when in her crate & IF warm enough out side she potties out side. But Cold rainy days she uses Katies papers!

Old 12-25-2014, 03:01 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,512,833 times
DO NOT BUY A SMALL DOG if you do not have adaquate
room in your home to dedicate to the animal. They will pee and
poop anytime they want so there is no training them like
a bigger dog. A nice clean home can turn into a damaged one
that smells like pee and **** fast if you let this type of dog roam
your home. Keep a area for the pooch with alot of newspaper
underneath the dog in case they feel the urge to relieve
themselves.Also make sure to play with the dog from
time to time.

You cannot trust these types of dogs to freely roam your
home and you must watch them at all times unless in a
closed off area with lots of newspaper underneath them.

Last edited by Europeanflava; 12-25-2014 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs