Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 12:59 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
So you can't call or e-mail back and civilly say "The dog in question has issues with men, and would not be adopted out to a man, but there are a lot of other dogs in the system, can I get your contact info, and I will forward it to the rescue so they can explain our adoption process?"

Gee, I wonder why people are questioning whether rescues are about helping the dogs or about an ego/power trip for the people involved.
You so don't know how it works, do you?

You're telling me to call and tell him info that he already has.

And why would I forward it to the rescue, when it was the rescue he first contacted, and then forwarded the message to me? You think I have my e-maill address out for the world to see?

And I did help the dog and save myself some time by not bothering to chase someone down who would rather not put any effort into filling out an app. That alone tells me a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 03:39 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I foster. I have a dog that is afraid of men. If feeling cornered, she will snap. It is implicitly stated in her on-line bio that she will only go to an all-female home, meaning no male children or adults. None. At. All.

So, yesterday, I get an e-mail, not an app, an e-mail inquiring into the availability of said dog and to please call so they can find out more about the dog. Oh, and the e-mail was from someone with a male name. Um, no... I'm not going to bother to call you for 3 reasons: 1) You're a man, and you decided to ignore the "no males" statement; 2) you didn't tell me a single damn thing about you and your home, just to call you; 3) you didn't send me an app that I need to review. Doing so would have made me want to call you as I wouldn't be forced to work to get information I need that's on the app, and explain why the dog would not be available to you. Don't make me work/fish for info I need.

Yes, I'm guilty of not calling this person. Bite me.
OK, so why do you have a vicious dog that should be put down, since it's dangerous? It is taking up space and resources for a dog that will be adopted. Do you seriously feel justified? If so, you are a good example of the problem.
If I am in an all female home. I still do not want a dog that will bite a male.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:42 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
And I did help the dog and save myself some time by not bothering to chase someone down who would rather not put any effort into filling out an app. That alone tells me a lot.
Perhaps what it's telling you is that they don't want to give out their personal information, some of which is incredibly intrusive, unless you are actually willing to adopt the dog out.

And FYI, I know several males named Kim and females named Ryan, Dallas, Cory, Taylor, Sydney, Chris, Alex, Sam, and so forth. You can't automatically assume gender based on name.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:32 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,306 times
Quote:
You so don't know how it works, do you?

You're telling me to call and tell him info that he already has.

And why would I forward it to the rescue, when it was the rescue he first contacted, and then forwarded the message to me? You think I have my e-maill address out for the world to see?

I have two rescues from a shelter, have fostered several dogs last year for the OSPCA, and currently have a dumped senior dog that's deaf, has cancer and Heartworm, and cataracts - he'll be with me until he dies later this year because it's the right thing to do. So, yes, I do know how it works, but being civil and responsive to potential adopters is part of the process. Not returning calls and ignoring requests just hurts the dogs you claim you are claiming to help. That's the disconnect many are complaining about with rescue operations.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:02 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Perhaps what it's telling you is that they don't want to give out their personal information, some of which is incredibly intrusive, unless you are actually willing to adopt the dog out.

And FYI, I know several males named Kim and females named Ryan, Dallas, Cory, Taylor, Sydney, Chris, Alex, Sam, and so forth. You can't automatically assume gender based on name.
My exact feelings and why I wanted to know if the dogs were even available for adoption before I moved forward. After this incident I've purposely looked through a number of applications and was simply amazed at the amount of unneeded information various rescues were demanding. Many people that do fill out these highly intrusive applications might not be aware of how dangerous that can be to them. Some I've seen demanded enough information on their application that it could be used for identity theft. I don't think many people realize that.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
OK, so why do you have a vicious dog that should be put down, since it's dangerous? It is taking up space and resources for a dog that will be adopted. Do you seriously feel justified? If so, you are a good example of the problem.
If I am in an all female home. I still do not want a dog that will bite a male.
Don't be ridiculous. She's not vicious, she's fearful, and if the men don't let her get to know them on her own terms, then it's the man's fault. I never said she bites. Ignorant people like you, and the men who tried to force themselves on her are the problems. She's adoptable, just don't trust men I don't know to do the right thing. Again, don't be ridiculous. You're letting your hormones get the better of you in your lack of rational thinking. Get your head out.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

Yeah, so it makes all the sense to make me fish for information, like the home, family, basic info , which to you is incredibly intrusive. That's just stupid. The prospective adopter needs to do the work. they already have the info on the dog. And yeah, I'm willing to adopt the dog out... for the third time. Just not going to jump through hoops for people who expect to be catered to.

And yes, you can base the gender on the name.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
I have two rescues from a shelter, have fostered several dogs last year for the OSPCA, and currently have a dumped senior dog that's deaf, has cancer and Heartworm, and cataracts - he'll be with me until he dies later this year because it's the right thing to do. So, yes, I do know how it works, but being civil and responsive to potential adopters is part of the process. Not returning calls and ignoring requests just hurts the dogs you claim you are claiming to help. That's the disconnect many are complaining about with rescue operations.
Don't be ridiculous. I didn't ignore any reasonable request, just one that didn't deserve any response. And this was not a potential adopter. If they were, they would have been female and offered up a bit more info on themselves. Why should I waste my time and money on someone that can't even be bothered to give the least bit info. Besides, if I responded to every damn e-mail request for a phone call, I'd never be off the phone.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:00 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,306 times
Quote:
Don't be ridiculous. I didn't ignore any reasonable request, just one that didn't deserve any response. And this was not a potential adopter. If they were, they would have been female and offered up a bit more info on themselves. Why should I waste my time and money on someone that can't even be bothered to give the least bit info. Besides, if I responded to every damn e-mail request for a phone call, I'd never be off the phone.
I don't know how else to put this without potentially being considered a personal attack, but the attitude you display in this post IS the exact problem people are citing with many rescue groups.

For me it's about doing the best I can for the dog, not about perfect, or my judgement of others, just trying to right by the dog. If that means I'm doing flyers, I'm doing flyers, if that means I make phone calls and educate some one, I make phone calls, if that means I keep a dumped dog because he's not adoptable, well, I keep a dumped dog.

Is your time really that valuable you can't make a phone call? Do you really get that many e-mails about your foster you can't answer them all? My bet is both answers are no, you just don't like to do it.

That is the problem people are citing in this thread, many groups are either unresponsive, or are so difficult and intrusive to qualify for adoption with, that it is not worth the effort, because there are so many other viable options to getting a dog - options which the rescue groups frequently cite as bad options, but it is their (the rescues) actions (or lack thereof) that drive people to use other options than an adoption from a rescue.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:52 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
My exact feelings and why I wanted to know if the dogs were even available for adoption before I moved forward. After this incident I've purposely looked through a number of applications and was simply amazed at the amount of unneeded information various rescues were demanding. Many people that do fill out these highly intrusive applications might not be aware of how dangerous that can be to them. Some I've seen demanded enough information on their application that it could be used for identity theft. I don't think many people realize that.
I know. It's ludicrous. I would love to know what they do with their on-line applications with all that information after they have deemed some person unworthy to own a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs