Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 01:14 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
I have filled out multiple applications and had mixed results. One that operates in adjacent states responded quickly to tell me that they do not adopt out dogs to my state under normal circumstances but would consider me for an older or special needs dog.
The other rescue hasn't responded to multiple emails or 2 applications (several months apart). The website says to contact the regional coordinator if you have not received a response in a week. I've done this, still no response.

I like the idea of a rescue dog that has been fostered since it will allow us to know about the dogs temperament and personality.

I found a small rescue group that has a particular dog but the foster parents said it was not good with children and I have a 9 year old. They did email me back saying they had just gotten in another similar breed that I would like so I asked for info on that dog (age, temperament, history) but have not heard back.

After months of trying to adopt a dog for our family I am seriously considering a reputable breeder. I'd have to drive 300+ miles and pay upwards of $600 - $800.

Driving 300+ miles to get a dog from a reputable and responsible breeder is not unusual. The responsible breeder does not have puppies or older dogs available all the time; and when they do, they often have waiting lists. Just make sure that the breeder is responsible as well as reputable - depending on where you live, $600 is a bit low as a price for a a puppy from one. Anyone with a pregnant b*tch is a breeder - there are breeders, and then there are the type of breeders you would want to get your canine companion from if you are not getting one from a rescue. They should insist that if you cannot keep the dog at any point in its life, that it be brought back to them (some breeders will give you some leeway for a family member or friend to take the dog, but all good breeders would want to be informed and have a say in the dog's fate). Have the breed-appropriate health tests been done with the dog's parents and possibly (depending on the test/condition) the dog/pup itself? (you can go to akc.org, locate the breed's AKC national breed club and read up on what tests are appropriate) If so, have you seen the clearances? And of course, you should be satisfied that your potential puppy/dog has been raised in clean quarters, hopefully is a house dog, is clean and healthy and well-groomed (as all the dogs in the home should be). If the mother or other close relatives of the dog are on the premises, you should be allowed to see and interact with them and be pleased with their temperaments.

Good luck. I have been a responsible breeder, and know many of them. Sadly, there are not as many responsible breeders as there might be backyard breeders/commercial breeders/puppy mills, and they rarely advertise, at least not in newspapers. I believe that the right dog from a responsible breeder can be a match made in heaven with the right owners, just as the right dog from a shelter/rescue can be a great match with the right owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 12:00 AM

166 posts, read 243,612 times
Regina,
I am looking for a springer spaniel. Specifically a field bred springer but would love either one. If I go the breeder route I'll get a field, from a rescue I'll take either (and be happy). I've had bench bred before and this time I plan to do some more activities such as hiking with and possibly a jogging buddy. I have access to all kinds of parks and outdoors areas where we can roam. I also plan to spend a lot of time on our boat this summer so a dog that enjoys water would be a plus because who doesn't love a lake dog.
I'm looking for everything you mentioned in your post and believe I have found a breeder that meets that criteria. On a positive note after I made that post I sent a detailed but very nice letter to the rescue group and got a response. It may take a while yet but I'll wait a few weeks before going the breeder route. If I purchase one and the rescue calls afterwards I'll just amend my application to show that I currently have a dog and would be happy to have another. If one is good then two is better right?

Old 02-26-2015, 04:29 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
How long with rescue may be a put off to people which is why they not answering you. Most dogs in rescue are Not locked in kennel waiting new home they with families ...foster care. Long term to some also make folks adopting feel something Wrong with the dog.... Could be the Right match hasn't came along. So quite worrying about that! MEET the dog See for yourself if its the right fit. IF you & the dog Click go for it!
Sorry but what the OP experienced was nothing short of discourteous treatment. Someone was "put off" by a question? Then they need a serious attitude check and need to cut loose with the god complex they have. There is no reason for a rescue not to answer simple questions. If they can't, then they aren't doing much in the animals best interests but are probably there to feed their own co-dependencies.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:10 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Quote:
If one is good then two is better right?

Yep!

Old 04-02-2015, 04:32 PM

166 posts, read 243,612 times
So I have an update. I didn't think it was worth its own thread just yet though. We have had a phone interview and are scheduled to have an in home visit tomorrow from a rescue group volunteer. She is bringing her two dogs with her
As I understand it once the home visit is completed the results of it, the phone interview and my application will be reviewed and I will be approved or denied. I'm really hoping for a good outcome soon. I have decided to fence my yard in and have completed 3 sides so far with only 120' left to go. Total fenced area will be about 1/3 acre, maybe a bit more. I'd think that's plenty of room for what will be a mostly inside dog to run around in from time to time with frequent trips to parks and hikes.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:15 PM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
hoping for the best for you-and your future pup.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:21 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
Good luck! Hoping to hear some happy news soon.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:04 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Quote:
So I have an update. I didn't think it was worth its own thread just yet though. We have had a phone interview and are scheduled to have an in home visit tomorrow from a rescue group volunteer. She is bringing her two dogs with her
As I understand it once the home visit is completed the results of it, the phone interview and my application will be reviewed and I will be approved or denied. I'm really hoping for a good outcome soon. I have decided to fence my yard in and have completed 3 sides so far with only 120' left to go. Total fenced area will be about 1/3 acre, maybe a bit more. I'd think that's plenty of room for what will be a mostly inside dog to run around in from time to time with frequent trips to parks and hikes.
Great update!

When I had a home visit, it was almost a formality, although I admit I have no idea what they told the adoption group. It must have been okay 'cause I was able to adopt. But, they also were able to point out some things that I had not considered. And, of course, gave me a chance to love on some dogs.

While I understand some folks' reluctance to do that, it wasn't like a home inspection or anything. I did one for the same rescue group and I really just used it as an opportunity to maybe educate the potential adopter on the breed (if they needed it) and make sure there weren't any indications that they were lying about things on their application (i.e. they didn't actually live there, they had either just moved in or were preparing to move out, just things that could be suspicious).

Good luck to you!

Old 04-03-2015, 09:54 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
I am a my wits end and about ready to throw in the towel on adopting a dog through a rescue group. I have emailed a few about dogs I am interested in....never heard anything back. I was asking them if the dog I was interested in was going to be at their adoption event they were having so you would think they could at least tell me that.

Then I find one that I am really interested in and email a rescue and ask them a little more about her. All I get back (almost right away actually) is I need to fill out an application. OK - I don't know why I need to fill out an application just to have you answer a few questions but I really like this dog so I go ahead and do it. About 10 minutes after I submit the application I get an email asking if I am open on Monday to meet the dog. I wrote back and told them that I had a few questions about the dog before I met her to make sure I am not wasting anyones time. I had about 5 questions about the dog. they were pretty basic questions like how long the dog had been with the rescue and things like that. I NEVER heard anything back from them. I am sorry, did it ANNOY you that I had a few questions about the dog? I mean, I answered about 100 of them (some very personal) so that you would actually communicate with me and now you cannot even answer some questions? WTH is with these people?

This last one is the 4th rescue group in the area that I have try to contact and I am about done. I don't want to go the breeder route but I am so sick of this! I just want a puppy for my family for crying out loud!
You would be doing the world a bigger favor by going to a local shelter and saving a healthy dog that will be killed because no one wants him.

Rescues won't generally put them down, and it's much harder to get a dog from them, as if they are doing you a favor.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:45 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Dog rescue ladies are major weirdos, and they bite their rescues in the behind due to their own behavior.

Sad but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs