U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2014, 07:26 AM

13,675 posts, read 13,493,126 times

Advertisements

I'm staying with my mother for a few weeks during the holidays. She has a very sweet Pomeranian who is not fond of other dogs (but loves me), and I have an elderly border collie and a 3-year-old Catahoula. The Pomeranian is very stressed right now because she is terrified of the Catahoula.

The bc doesn't really factor into this discussion -she's basically a walking stuffed animal at 14 years. But the Houla is normally very good with other dogs and very submissive to them in an oddly confident way. As the people at my regular dog park put it, he just doesn't really care about another dog wanting to be dominant. He cheerfully cedes territory and toys without making a fuss ad finds something else to do. He also has no real prey drive, though he will chase a ball all day and is insane about his food.

I want the Pom to feel comfortable being in the same room as the Houla. Are there any tricks or games to try that might get them to play together. The Houla is fine with playing gently with smaller dogs, but he's finding the Pom to be annoying because she is always barking at him.

Currently, they are never unsupervised together, and we don't plan to change that EVER. But Mom and I would like to watch TV in the same room without the Pom freaking out because the Houla decided to wander to her side of the room.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 07:43 AM

43,409 posts, read 52,413,699 times
I have never met an elderly dog who hates everyone ever change.
Maybe time and repeated exposure and you guys don't react.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have never met an elderly dog who hates everyone ever change.
Maybe time and repeated exposure and you guys don't react.
the Pom is 6

Old 12-23-2014, 12:58 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,140,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Ideas?
Take them on walks together. Start with them separated enough there is no reaction. Gradually get closer together as you walk. Bring lots of treats to give them when there is no reaction.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:49 PM

2,456 posts, read 1,992,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Take them on walks together. Start with them separated enough there is no reaction. Gradually get closer together as you walk. Bring lots of treats to give them when there is no reaction.
That sounds like a great idea!

And good luck with the Pom - they're such pissy little critters! lol

Old 12-23-2014, 06:18 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,208,960 times
A couple of things-
Depending on your sense of things, you can go slowly and begin with long version part A or you can jump to part B and just work the exercise in the house.
Some dogs are never comfortable around each other; hopefully this exercise will help but it will likely take time and will need to be repeated a few times.
There is no right or wrong way for pom to behave- she is just giving you information about how she is feeling at any point.

This is a long description, but in actuality likely won't take more than 9-10 minutes each time and probably less than that. Keep sessions short and happy. If pom's body tenses or freezes, you have gone too quickly for her, back it up-increase distance until she is loose again, then call it quits for the time being. Try again in a couple of hours.

Here is the long version- part 1:
Yes, walk them outside in neutral territory, but don't walk them together. Take them out separately at 2-3 minute intervals with one dog going in one direction and the other dog going in the other direction.
Have lots of high value AAA+ treats cut into tiny pieces
Each dog and handler goes in a different direction up the sidewalk/road. When they are about 150 feet away from each other let them hang out in their respective spots. The pom will look up and down the road, and will see the catahoula, as soon as she sees the catahoula scatter 3-4 treats down in front of her- when she finishes those she will reorient to the catahoula- repeat treats. Do this a few more times- always happy voice, keep your body loose, you two are having FUN. Since the pom is small you could even sit down on the sidewalk/side of road with her, play, give treat when she looks at catahoula.
At this point she is learning 1) catahoula = treats; 2) acknowledging catahoula = treats from you. She will shift her focus from the catahoula to you looking at the catahoula less and at you more.

This whole time the catahoula is also getting treats and the same exercise. Once the Pom is focused on you, have whoever is handling the catahoula begin very slowly to move in a wide circle around the pom- keeping houla happy, loose body language, try to keep any big moves or jumping down to a minimum and focused on handler.

At any time while the houla is moving, if the pom tenses up body, yawns, sniffs ground, back the catahoula off and call it quits for the time being.
If the pom is good with the movement, is looking at catahoua and back at you treat lavishly, and the two of you, both houla and pom, slowly begin to walk together in the same direction with the pom 20 feet or so behind the catahoula.
Treat pom lavishly, go at her pace, if she wants to catch up to the houla let her pick up the pace, if she seems nervous then let her set the pace, if she turns around and wants to get away that is fine too.
It is ok for you and pom to hang out and let the houla get further ahead- it is all fun- there is no right or wrong here. Whatever the pom does, take it all as information- neutral information.

Thus far, maybe 7-10 minutes have passed in total. Call it quits for the time being.
Repeat in 2-3 hours. Pick up the exercise at whatever point the pom was good at last time. If she was fine walking behind the dog, then start there- Oh look, its your buddy up there TREATS!
If she stays loose and relaxed, pick up the pace to get closer to the houla up ahead of you- is she getting tense? Still relaxed?

The goal here is to close the distance between pom and catahoula while keeping the treats coming and the pom comfortable.

As you get closer, as long as pom is still doing well, have the handler stop the catahoula. Give catahoula a minute to look around and see what is going on, but then have him focus back on his handler who is giving him treats.
Let the pom go up and sniff him to her hearts content- sniff butt, crotch, legs, maybe give a little lick to the muzzle of the catahoula.

Begin to walk them together with humans on the inside= dog human human dog.
Call the walk quits while on a high note- let it be a success and good experience.
Keep them separated in the house so that once they go into the house separately they go into different rooms.

Long version-part 2:
3-4 hours later bring the pom out to the main living area ideally to the far end of the room-not in a corner though.
Have treats ready
Bring the catahoula out into the far end of the room. Have his handler keep him occupied playing with him and giving treats but keep it low-key.

Begin treating the pom as soon as the catahoula is visible- don't wait until she sees him. Treat freely.
Now you are going to repeat the exercise you did outside- treat when she looks at him. Do this for a few minutes. How is she doing? Did she tighten up at any point? Did she loosen up again when you threw treats on the floor in front of her?

If she is doing well, begin tossing treats further out into the room, let her choose to go get them or not. It is her choice. If she goes out into the room to get treats, slowly start tossing them further out in the general direction of the catahoula.
The catahoula meanwhile is being kept busy by his handler with treats, toys, training games, etc.
How is the pom reacting- is she loosening up?
stop tossing treats.
Is the pom choosing to go over in the direction of the catahoula without treats? Good girl-

At this point, depending on your sense of how the pom is feeling, let the catahoula begin to interact with her. Put treats away- don't anything that might cause tension. Let it be her choice now.

Depending on the pom's reaction you can call it quits at any time or just let them continue to interact- always upbeat and happy.
If you call it quits for the time being you can pick the exercise up again at any time.

Good luck.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:05 AM

Well, with the holiday and torrential rains, we weren't able to do a long walk or anything like that. I've just been slowly introducing the Houla to closer proximity to the Pom over the past few days. She is beginning to tolerate his presence and wander near him on her own. He is being VERY respectful. My crazed food hound has not even attempted to touch the Pom's kibble even though my mother has left it out all day on the floor (she forgot to take it up).

The Pom is definitely no longer terrified by him.

I have new respect for my own dog now too - always knew he was awesome, but he's gone beyond that. Not to brag

Thanks for the ideas - I will implement them over the next few days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or