U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 03:36 PM

13,262 posts, read 25,400,293 times

Advertisements

Bentley is a nine-year-oldl hound/GS/Lab mix. I've had him since March and am in touch with the people who gave him up (a new husband wanted to euthanize him). He's on phenobarb and potassium bromide, was on it for close to a year before I got him. The only time I've seen him seize was when he missed two doses of potassium bromide.

Yesterday he had a grand mal seizure, and again once today. Hadn't missed a dose or anything. These occurred while he was sleeping, with incontinence and post-ictal agitation. His phenobarb level was in therapeutic just last week (I had it checked due to his general floppiness, a side effect of phenobarb). Any ideas what could be going on? It's very disturbing. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 07:13 PM

4,582 posts, read 4,996,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Bentley is a nine-year-oldl hound/GS/Lab mix. I've had him since March and am in touch with the people who gave him up (a new husband wanted to euthanize him). He's on phenobarb and potassium bromide, was on it for close to a year before I got him. The only time I've seen him seize was when he missed two doses of potassium bromide.

Yesterday he had a grand mal seizure, and again once today. Hadn't missed a dose or anything. These occurred while he was sleeping, with incontinence and post-ictal agitation. His phenobarb level was in therapeutic just last week (I had it checked due to his general floppiness, a side effect of phenobarb). Any ideas what could be going on? It's very disturbing. Thank you.
Bright- Any food changes? From what I've read I believe high protein can be a cause of seizures. What percent protein is his food?

Old 12-26-2014, 09:54 PM

No change in his food, but I'll check the bag for protein percentage.
I heard from his former home and they said he's been dx epileptic for almost four years, longer than I thought.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:33 AM

13,667 posts, read 14,536,595 times
my dog is also epileptic. you may need to up her dose if she keeps on having break through seizures. tell your vet.
my poor dog takes3 phenos a day plus zomisimide (as well as a heart medication) her medication was upped when she had a few break outs, luckily she has been free of them for some time now. knock wood.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:04 PM

Bentley takes 2G of phenobarb and one potassium bromide twice a day. Today I gave him his second dose a couple of hours early, as his breakthrough seizures in the past two days were both around 5p. I had been trying to space them 12 hours apart but will see if today goes better. I will talk to the vet on Monday if he seizes today or tomorrow. Poor guy is already all floppy from his medications. My vet didn't prescribe for him (he was adopted last March) but I am in touch with his former people and they can get me his records.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:19 PM

my dog's pheno dose is 1.5 pills twice a day and the mg is 16.5 each. she weighs 21 lbs. her zomisimide is 100 mg and she takes 2 a day. you need to see your vet, the dog probably needs more pheno. anytime they take more pheno than they are used to they will be "floppy" until their body gets used to the dose. best of luck it is so hard to watch them seize.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:57 AM

I had Bentley's pheno level checked last week and it was good. He's been on the same dose for many months and is still quite floppy

I gave him his second dose a couple of hours earlier than usual Saturday and he didn't have a dinnertime seizure. We shall see.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I had Bentley's pheno level checked last week and it was good. He's been on the same dose for many months and is still quite floppy

I gave him his second dose a couple of hours earlier than usual Saturday and he didn't have a dinnertime seizure. We shall see.

for such a big dog the 2 mg of pheno really doesn't sound like much compared to the 46.5 my 20 pound dog takes (1.5 pills twice a day as well as 2 100 mg of zomisimide) the upping of the dose came about when she had break through seizures and has kept her seizure free now for several years. you might want to talk to your vet just to get their opinion on the amount of drugs he is getting and the combination. you would hope they can stop the seizure at least for longer intervals.

I think, not sure that the pheno levels just say that the amount you give him is in his blood stream in that it is constant at that level. it doesn't say if the dose is enough. they should also check his liver as pheno has a bad effect on that as well.

did the doctor say why he was still floppy. that seems strange. there are several epi dog forums. I was a member of one but it became too depressing. some dogs have it real real bad.

hope the dog feels way better soon.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:42 AM

4,582 posts, read 4,996,535 times
Bella takes 1 1/2 phenobarb pills twice a day. Bottle says it's 1/2 Gr. She's 70 lbs.

I've switched her food to 22% protein.

So far so good

Old 12-28-2014, 10:17 AM

14,206 posts, read 14,067,865 times
I'm very sorry to hear about your dog's condition.

Is Bentley currently on any other medication other than the two for epilepsy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs