U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:37 AM

14,079 posts, read 8,982,424 times

Advertisements

[quote=Three Wolves In Snow;37820813]The crate exercise should be an every day thing. He doesn't come out until he sits and waits. He'll get it very quickly.

The massive amounts of exercise should be daily.

This is our fault we work opposite shifts so while someone she works in the morning & I work a midshift. We plan to put up a fence it will be small considering the lack of yard we have

Trainers do not have to be very expensive. Try looking around, you might be surprised.

Will look into it.

So take him on short runs around the block. Do that several times. Up the amount of time he's in the car, go two blocks, then three, etc.

We do this before we put him in the car again sometimes it work other times it doesn't.

I think on our part is that we've been spoiled by other dogs we've had before. Her year old is just awesome & the last dog I had was 10 years ago & she had no behavior problems, so this is new to both of us. Every dog is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 PM

22,559 posts, read 16,711,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The crate exercise should be an every day thing. He doesn't come out until he sits and waits. He'll get it very quickly.

The massive amounts of exercise should be daily.

This is our fault we work opposite shifts so while someone she works in the morning & I work a midshift. We plan to put up a fence it will be small considering the lack of yard we have

Quote:
Trainers do not have to be very expensive. Try looking around, you might be surprised.
Will look into it.

Quote:
So take him on short runs around the block. Do that several times. Up the amount of time he's in the car, go two blocks, then three, etc.

We do this before we put him in the car again sometimes it work other times it doesn't.

I think on our part is that we've been spoiled by other dogs we've had before. Her year old is just awesome & the last dog I had was 10 years ago & she had no behavior problems, so this is new to both of us. Every dog is different.
I think we all learn that one the hard way after we've had an easier dog. The short runs are not just before you go somewhere long, it's like any other training. You take 10 minutes of your day, put him in the car, drive him around the block, come home, go inside, done. The next day, lather, rinse, repeat.

As the days go by, you start building up to two blocks, three blocks, four blocks, etc. It might take a long time, because you don't build up until he stops whining at one block. Then you don't go to three blocks until he stops whining at two blocks, etc. Eventually, though, he'll realize that the car is a good thing, and it means adventure, and it means loads and loads of fun. Like I said earlier, just talk to him like he's a person. He'll probably whine louder at first, but just keep talking normally. Ignore the whining. Sooner or later, he'll settle down. It doesn't feel like it's going to happen, but it does.

Trust me, I know that well when I was crate training my girl. The way she carried on, it must have sounded like I was severing her limbs, one by one...it was embarrassing, but I had understanding neighbors, thankfully. It was very hard, too. I just wanted her to shut. up! already! She would carry on the entire time she was in that crate. Every. Last. Second of it. I couldn't even react, I sure couldn't let her see me react...and then one day...she got it: whining and screaming like a moron doesn't get her anything.

Of course, throwing treats in there helped, and now, she bolts in there at dinner time since the dogs eat in their crates. (I feed them raw, less mess, easier clean up this way.)

Old 01-01-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Trust me, I know that well when I was crate training my girl. The way she carried on, it must have sounded like I was severing her limbs, one by one...it was embarrassing, but I had understanding neighbors, thankfully. It was very hard, too. I just wanted her to shut. up! already! She would carry on the entire time she was in that crate. Every. Last. Second of it. I couldn't even react, I sure couldn't let her see me react...and then one day...she got it: whining and screaming like a moron doesn't get her anything.

With Merlyn he is so headstrong he seems to go on forever. We're in a new place new people next door
he wants to explore & EVERYONE he see's he wants to play with. Winter is here so that tends to make matter worse when it's cold outside as well. We love him to pieces but like you said when you have had a dog that was so easy to train & then you get one like Merlyn it's very different.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:12 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,208,347 times
I probably sound like a broken record, but- the Its Yer Choice exercise and the Crate Games DVD by Susan Garret will help you with all of these issues by teaching him impulse control and to look to you for guidance in situations, help him pay less attention to distractions and more attention to you because these exercises teach him how to make good choices and that more value for him lies with you rather than the various neighborhood distractions. As well, these 2 exercises lay the foundation for all obedience training, and also burn a lot of intellectual energy.

As well- each dog has a different behavioral dynamic; it isn't fair to Merlyn to compare him with another dog. You work with the dog that is in front of you. Give him time and work the exercises with him.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post

As well- each dog has a different behavioral dynamic; it isn't fair to Merlyn to compare him with another dog. You work with the dog that is in front of you. Give him time and work the exercises with him.
Forgive me if it's coming across as we are comparing Merlyn to other dogs we have had in the past different yes. but I promise you we are not comparing him to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs