Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 10:49 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,073 times

Advertisements

We'd like to add another dog to our little family.
Is it better to introduce our choices to our current dog, and decide which to adopt by which one she likes?
This way seems like it would result in less friction at the start.

But the ASPCA recommends choosing the dog, then introducing them, which is how we did it last time.
It wasn't horrible, but there was a little bit of friction between the two puppies for a couple of weeks.

I'd like to hear about people's experience with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 01:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
Hm.

I dunno.

Each time I got a new puppy, I picked out the new puppy based on characteristics I liked, health, etc.
Older dog had to suck it up.

It's worked out well.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:55 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,263,156 times
pick a couple of dogs then let your dog decide

Old 01-02-2015, 06:22 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,412,367 times
I've seen people decide against a dog that their dog didn't instantly start playing with before. The two dogs didn't pay much attention to each other during the meet and greet, so the people felt it was the wrong dog. This isn't really the case. I've adopted a dog when my other dog seemed indifferent to him, and once he was in the house he became her brother, as much as our dog that had passed on. I've seen it work out the same way for other dogs.
I totally understand wanting to avoid a situation where there's tension between the dogs at first. I wouldn't take that on unless I really had my heart set on that particular dog, and I (plus preferably another objective, knowledgeable person) felt it was workable.
I say, either narrow available dogs down to a few, and then introduce your dog, looking both to see if there's an immediate problem, and to learn more that will help you feel out how you like the dog yourself. Or, if you have a definite favorite, introduce your dog, and move on to another only if you think they might have issues you'd prefer not to deal with at first.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:38 AM

8,036 posts, read 12,751,998 times
It will work out if you introduce the new dog properly. If it is a puppy your older dog won't have a problem since it isn't a threat to the dogs pack standing.

New Member of the Pack | Cesar Millan

Old 01-02-2015, 06:48 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,412,367 times
There's nothing in that article that says *any* pair of dogs will get along if properly introduced. It would be naïve to think that's the case.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:20 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,985,646 times
You pick the puppy.
All puppies come with a "puppy license" that most adult dogs honor. In other words, adult dogs are pretty tolerant of puppy behavior and pretty much allow them to get away with some pretty rude dog behavior. Once the puppy license has worn off- usually about 6-7 months or onset of puberty, then all bets are off, and adult dog will begin to school puppy in proper dog etiquette.
All along though YOU need to be reinforcing training with your older dog and working with puppy to lay down basic obedience and foundations for impulse control and value.
There is never a guarantee that any 2 dogs will get along, but this isn't something that you wait until there is an issue; you work with both dogs together and individually to set down realistic expectations and reinforce good behaviors.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:30 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,985,646 times
There are several good books on introducing a new dog to an existing household on dogwise.com including anything by reputable behaviorist Patricia McConnell who has had formal training in animal behavior and is a well-respected authority:

Feeling Outnumbered
FEELING OUTNUMBERED? - HOW TO MANAGE & ENJOY A MULTI-DOG HOUSEHOLD, 2ND EDITION - Dog Training and Behavior - Dogwise.com

The Other End of the Leash
THE OTHER END OF THE LEASH - WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO AROUND DOGS - Dog Training and Behavior - Dogwise.com

Puppy Primer
PUPPY PRIMER, 2ND EDITION - Dog Training and Behavior - Dogwise.com

How to be the Leader of the Pack- and Have Your Dog Love You for It.
HOW TO BE THE LEADER OF THE PACK - AND HAVE YOUR DOG LOVE YOU FOR IT! - Dog Training and Behavior - Dogwise.com

Old 01-02-2015, 08:52 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,016,731 times
When I wanted to add a second dog to our family, I took my girl to the shelter where I had seen a red heeler fella I was interested in..... we introduced them in one of the play yards and he was ALL over her in trying to be dominant.... he would not listen to her when she told him to back off, so I knew he would not work.....

Went around and looked at the other boys in the shelter and met my Dave.... introduced them in the play yard and while they were friendly enough, there was no instant connection between them.... brought him home and they have lived together quite happily for the last 5+ years....

Roxie and Chico came along a couple of years later.... both abandoned in my neighborhood and brought in to my house as fosters that turned into foster failures..... all four have integrated themselves into a nice little family.....

Old 01-02-2015, 10:33 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,343,460 times
It has to be a family decision. All the people and all the animals need to be involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs