Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 141,882 times

Advertisements

Ok well I have a black lab Rottie mix. He is a pup around a year and a half. He is well trained so we usually walk him off the leash. Last night at around 2am he had to go to the bathroom so my GF took him out. She didnt use a leash and when its dark I usually do. At the apartment pet area there was a guy and a german shepard. My dog ran up to him to smell and was attacked. They started to fight. The guy let his dog off the leash and my GF was trying to pull our dog back. He is a little swollen around the eyes but less than last night. And now his cheeks look swollen. Or his lips not sure what you want to call it. His muzzle is all swollen on both sides. He wont let me lift his lips to look inside but he isnt bleeding. I tried to ice it but he wouldnt hold still.

bascially can I give him motrin to help with the swelling? I really cant afford a ER vet trip either. Please help.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 11:34 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,229,188 times
Please do not give your dog any human meds without consulting your vet. Some meds are very toxic to dogs. Unless there is an urgent situation, call your vet first thing in the morning.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:39 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,690 times
he should be seen by a vet, as he will need most likely some antibiotics to ward off any infection. He will probably be okay until tomorrow morning, but if it were my dog I wouldn't let it go longer than that....

Old 01-06-2008, 11:39 AM

389 posts, read 3,538,589 times
We always frown on giving aspirin type products to dogs, it can cause problems...it may not ever bother some dogs, and others may get sick after one dose. I know the ER is expensive, but if your dog is in pain and is swelling up, you may not have much of a choice, he may need antibiotics if the other dog has broken your dogs skin, it could get infected very easily. If your pooch seems reasonably comfortable, maybe you could hold off until tomorrow, but if he's in pain, you really need to take him in. You can always decline certain things, they shouldn't need bloodwork, xrays, etc, so it may not be too expensive. Have them work up an estimate for you before you allow them to do anything.

Good luck, I hope it all turns out ok.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 141,882 times
he is playful and running around with his bone. I dont think he is in pain now and the swelling in his eye is all but gone its just his lips that are chubby looking. Ill give him till tomorrow and if the swelling is gone then Ill let it be but if its still there then ill take him in. thanks for all the advice

Old 01-06-2008, 01:09 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,534 times
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Doesn't sound like a serious altercation except for the facial swelling. You need to be able to look in his mouth for wounds. I know he doesn't want you to but it could be life saving, never know. Mouth wounds can be horribly nasty. They can get infected or abscess even a little bit after you think they are healing up. If they abscess they will have to likely be lanced open. This abscess can also cause infection throughout the body, while it might start there it can spread to the rest of the body and kill your dog. The other swelling in the face is problem just tissue damage without any broken skin. The vessels might be ruptured under the skin like a bruise. You should give him anti-biotic just to be safe. You should have also cleaned any wounds, including those inside his mouth if there are any. That is very important. Please keep us updated on the dog.

This is why I so believe in leash laws or having your dog under control. She shouldn't have allowed your dog to run up to another dog. For one she doesn't know if that dog is friendly/aggressive even if your dog is friendly. Secondly even if the other dog isn't normally an aggressive dog a strange dog running up to him/her and the owner can be seen as a threat and offensive especially at night. Really if both dogs are friendly its still kind of rude.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:54 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
Your dog could be getting an infection in the area he was bitten and that can be serious. He needs to go to a vet. He also NEEDS to be on a leash for many reasons, most for HIS safety.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:56 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
Another thing to keep in mind. If your dog HAD been on a leash and the other dog was not your could have sought compensation from the other dogs owner for your dogs medical bills etc. With both dogs being off the leash you now cannot, no matter who started it.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:16 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,808 times
Hope you're dog will be OK.

If you are concerned about the dog this time tomorrow go to your vet.
Most vets take payments.

Why would the other guy let his dog off the leash???

*Lesson learned would be sure everyone keeps their dogs on a leash in a public
area.*

Old 01-06-2008, 03:39 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,619 times
I hope your dog is okay. It doesn't sound like a huge deal, nothing to rush him to the emergency vet over. But, as other people have already said, if he is in pain, or if things start to look worse, tomorrow I would suggest getting him into th vet.

I have to say that I agree with APBT_Samara and brokencrayola about the leash thing. All of our dogs are very well trained, very obedient, very well socialized and very friendly, but I would never ever have any of my dogs outside without being on a leash or a run, even for a second. As you found out, no matter how friendly your dog is, you never know about other dogs. Even the most obedient of dogs make mistakes, and if the dog isn't leashed, that mistake could cause the dog to get hurt or even killed, or someone else or another animal to get hurt or even killed. For the safety of my dogs, even if we didn't have leash laws where we live, I would never have them outside without being under my full control. And even though they are wonderful, obedient, friendly dogs, they are not under my full control unless they are on a leash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs