Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:28 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I love animals as much if not more than a lot of people but I have to wonder sometimes. I mean, a lot of the people ive encountered say basically the same thing "Oh my lil precious wouldnt harm a fly. She wont bite". No, she wont bite YOU. Animals are territorial and theyll defend the home. Are people so naive to think that the precious pit bull, rott, german shepherd, great dane, etc they leave wandering around their yard unsecured wont bite someone (postal worker, utility worker:gas, water, delivery person, etc)?
Is this another dog thread started under the guise of being about dogs in general that is really a way to denigrate a few specific breeds of dogs? Really?

Personally, the only dog in my entire 45 years that bit anyone was my mother's dachshund that bit the meter man when he hopped the fence to read the meter without knocking first to ask if he could access the back yard.

Yes, dogs bite out of fear and defense. ALL DOGS DO. Not just the ones you specifically mentioned in your post in order to start up yet ANOTHER debate wherein breed advocates are called all kinds of insulting names just because they care about ALL animals - including those deemed worth exterminating from existence by a select few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 04:38 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I would never say that my dogs (pit bulls), or any of my previous dogs, would *never* bite anyone. My childhood dog (poodle) bit me (I pretty much deserved it). I've been bitten by other people's dogs (job-related) who looked so surprised and said "Well, he never did that before!"
I can categorically say that none of the dogs I've owned in the past, or my current pit bulls, would *maul* anyone. Any dog that has teeth can bite under the right (or wrong) circumstances. But mauling is another thing altogether. So is a severe bite, and my dogs, and most dogs, are very unlikely to inflict one of those, unless there is great danger.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:39 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Of course my dogs will bite, even my very mild tempered German Shorthair Pointers. If you provoke an animal long enough they will bite. It's not like they can call the police to stop someone from harassing them, lol.

I have a Basenji, and have owned two others in the past. You pull their tails or ears and you're in for a whirlwind of teeth and anger! I had a male that would get so mad, he would snap at you and then chase you if you pulled his tail. He would make sure you get the message, lol.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:47 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Is this another dog thread started under the guise of being about dogs in general that is really a way to denigrate a few specific breeds of dogs? Really?

Personally, the only dog in my entire 45 years that bit anyone was my mother's dachshund that bit the meter man when he hopped the fence to read the meter without knocking first to ask if he could access the back yard.

Yes, dogs bite out of fear and defense. ALL DOGS DO. Not just the ones you specifically mentioned in your post in order to start up yet ANOTHER debate wherein breed advocates are called all kinds of insulting names just because they care about ALL animals - including those deemed worth exterminating from existence by a select few.
Beats me, I dont scour the forums reading all the dog threads. If you do then fine but ive got other/better things to do.

Regardless of the dog breed, IMO its pretty bad when your local animal control officers tell you "carry a gun" even though there are leash laws here in both the city AND county.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Of course my dogs will bite, even my very mild tempered German Shorthair Pointers. If you provoke an animal long enough they will bite. It's not like they can call the police to stop someone from harassing them, lol.

I have a Basenji, and have owned two others in the past. You pull their tails or ears and you're in for a whirlwind of teeth and anger! I had a male that would get so mad, he would snap at you and then chase you if you pulled his tail. He would make sure you get the message, lol.
Some of the house around us arent marked with their address over the door (for some stupid reason) and a lot of times UPS or FEDEX will leave notes on those peoples' mailboxes stating basically "Could not locate physical address due to unmarked homes and unsecured dog(s). Please come to our office to pick up your package(s)".

Old 01-07-2015, 10:12 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Yes ANY dog can bite. Dogs of any breed can have fantastic temperaments and be taught to have inhibited bites which can make owners feel rather confident that their dog will not bite anyone and I agree those types of dogs are pretty safe as it would take a major threat to make them snap.

I do think often people over react to a barking dog because they can not read body language as my Silken Wind hound LOVES little dogs and when we are out and he sees one he lets loose a howl type noise followed by a few barks that often results in people scooping up their small dog fearing he wants to eat it. they could not be more wrong. I think his sound is the same as someone that really loves dogs saying to a friend "LOOK AT THAT DOG !" when they see a dog they like. It is hard to stop him from making that noise as if you have ever owned a hound you may know how excited they can get and they let everyone know which is what he is doing. He can maintain himself around larger dogs but those little itty bitty ones he just can not contain himself as he wants to meet them. And no I do not think it is a prey drive issue as he does not want to hurt them or even chase them but he would love them to chase him! Anyway not all barking dogs are threats and many dogs will bark as they approach a stranger coming on their property but not attack so yeah I do think some people are way too gun happy and are not being threatened when they do shoot.

I think breeds need to be left out here as a dog is a dog and all have teeth and any can bite. Heck people can bite too, just ask a nurse I worked with over the weekend!

Old 01-07-2015, 10:19 AM

Certain breeds were mentioned due to the fact that mentioning of smaller breeds wouldve (probably) resulted in rude comments like "Its a poodle; just kick it out of the way ya flamin' pansy" or some such. No kicking a pit, dane, rott, etc out of the way.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:45 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
I have a bulldog who in his old age has gotten crabby and territorial, I don't let people pet him anymore. I don't think he would bit anyone but you never know. Its more when people are in our house vs us being out and especially men but I don't want to take any chances.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:35 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Beats me, I dont scour the forums reading all the dog threads. If you do then fine but ive got other/better things to do.
Nothing makes a post worth reading more than condescension.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:13 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post

I suspected this as well. Whenever I walk my two GREAT DANES around the neighborhood, people will approach me and ask me if they bite. I always tell them they do. But I secretly doubt that would ever happen. I've had 7 Great Danes and none of them have ever bitten anyone. They are sweet lovebugs, and are more likely to drown someone in sloppy kisses, I believe. But I also don't want anyone thinking (knowing) they would not protect our home. Also, since I can never truly predict their behavior towards strangers, I don't want to take on the liability should a stranger approach, ask me to pet them, and they bite. If either one bites the person, I'm on the hook for the injuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs