U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:46 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,431,637 times

Advertisements

I love animals as much if not more than a lot of people but I have to wonder sometimes. I mean, a lot of the people ive encountered say basically the same thing "Oh my lil precious wouldnt harm a fly. She wont bite". No, she wont bite YOU. Animals are territorial and theyll defend the home. Are people so naive to think that the precious pit bull, rott, german shepherd, great dane, etc they leave wandering around their yard unsecured wont bite someone (postal worker, utility worker:gas, water, delivery person, etc)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 01:11 PM

6,385 posts, read 4,005,438 times
Well, I had a dearly loved pit bull who lived to the ripe old age of 15, and I would never have said that. Of course, all dogs can bite. Little ones as well as medium and large-sized ones.

However, where I live all yards are fenced and we have leash laws so I also have to admit I don't understand the concept of having a dog if it can just wander off your property and encounter strangers. That sounds extremely irresponsible and no one around here would defend that kind of behavior.

On the other hand, if my dog is out in my fenced back yard and a stranger wanders in, all bets are off. Of course most dogs will defend their territory in some manner. I don't see the problem with that...?? That's one reason people have dogs. Before you enter someone's fenced property you get permission from the owner, right? You don't just open their gate and stroll in, hoping they have no dog or the dog is toothless.

The only time my pit bull showed aggression towards a human (barking doesn't count), was when my five-year-old suddenly opened the front door at the exact moment when a man was reaching out and attaching a flier to the doorknob. To the dog, it must have looked as though he was about to grab her. He rushed down the stairs, jumped, and nipped at the man's rear end. This is classic behavior which means "Get out of here, get lost." The man was not injured, but was very scared. I grabbed the dog and apologized, but I don't for one moment think that his behavior was inappropriate, under the circumstances. He was defending my daughter from a stranger on our property, and it was not an attack--just a warning.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:57 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,431,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well, I had a dearly loved pit bull who lived to the ripe old age of 15, and I would never have said that. Of course, all dogs can bite. Little ones as well as medium and large-sized ones.

However, where I live all yards are fenced and we have leash laws so I also have to admit I don't understand the concept of having a dog if it can just wander off your property and encounter strangers. That sounds extremely irresponsible and no one around here would defend that kind of behavior.

On the other hand, if my dog is out in my fenced back yard and a stranger wanders in, all bets are off. Of course most dogs will defend their territory in some manner. I don't see the problem with that...?? That's one reason people have dogs. Before you enter someone's fenced property you get permission from the owner, right? You don't just open their gate and stroll in, hoping they have no dog or the dog is toothless.

The only time my pit bull showed aggression towards a human (barking doesn't count), was when my five-year-old suddenly opened the front door at the exact moment when a man was reaching out and attaching a flier to the doorknob. To the dog, it must have looked as though he was about to grab her. He rushed down the stairs, jumped, and nipped at the man's rear end. This is classic behavior which means "Get out of here, get lost." The man was not injured, but was very scared. I grabbed the dog and apologized, but I don't for one moment think that his behavior was inappropriate, under the circumstances. He was defending my daughter from a stranger on our property, and it was not an attack--just a warning.
Understandable, however around here its all open country. A lot of the pet owners dont have fences. They just leave Fido sitting on the porch untethered to run around as he sees fit. Someone coming on to the property to leave a package, check the meter, deliver mail, pay the rent, visit a friend, etc can be bitten. Heck even simply walking down the street is enough to provoke some of these dogs as they see the street as their property.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:07 PM

16,722 posts, read 14,605,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I love animals as much if not more than a lot of people but I have to wonder sometimes. I mean, a lot of the people ive encountered say basically the same thing "Oh my lil precious wouldnt harm a fly. She wont bite". No, she wont bite YOU. Animals are territorial and theyll defend the home. Are people so naive to think that the precious pit bull, rott, german shepherd, great dane, etc they leave wandering around their yard unsecured wont bite someone (postal worker, utility worker:gas, water, delivery person, etc)?
I have two wonderful dogs that I don't think would ever bite anyone, but I'm not that stupid.

Bully breed denial is the worst. Despite news articles where the family states, "He's never bitten anyone before," while crying about their dead grandson or maimed daughter.

And dog can and will hurt you, your family, or a stranger, if they want to. Most don't.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:16 PM

1,752 posts, read 1,644,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I have two wonderful dogs that I don't think would ever bite anyone, but I'm not that stupid.

Bully breed denial is the worst. Despite news articles where the family states, "He's never bitten anyone before," while crying about their dead grandson or maimed daughter.

And dog can and will hurt you, your family, or a stranger, if they want to. Most don't.
I always see that quote too, but almost invariably later in the article, or in the next day's follow up article, there is almost always a bite history, and the dog is either a "yard dog" (as opposed to house dog and true family pet), or has a history of being abused.

Not making any defense of the dog that bites or mauls, just that ussually those dogs have a "history" the family chooses to overlook. Sort of like the local bully's mom declaring "But he's never done anything like this before, and he's in the church choir" only to find out Jr. has six arrests for robbery, and it was more than 10 years ago that he sang in the church choir.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:59 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,253,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Understandable, however around here its all open country. A lot of the pet owners dont have fences. They just leave Fido sitting on the porch untethered to run around as he sees fit. Someone coming on to the property to leave a package, check the meter, deliver mail, pay the rent, visit a friend, etc can be bitten. Heck even simply walking down the street is enough to provoke some of these dogs as they see the street as their property.
Unrestrained and on the public streets a growling dog, especially a good size dog, can easily be considered life threatening or possibly considered to do bodily harm. And we all should know what could happen next.

But any dog can bite; regardless what the owner says.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:22 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
lol im MUCH more afraid of m 5lb missing half his teeth Chinese crested biting omeone than my dobe...

but I do agree and thas why my dogs are never unsupervised, are never left in an unsecure yard (we have a fence) and if omeone asks I always tell people, "shes a dog and has teeth"

Old 01-06-2015, 12:06 AM

12,387 posts, read 31,337,219 times
When I raise dogs EVERYONE coming to see the pups or adults asked the same question... Does your dogs bite? My Answer was always ... Yes they have teeth they bite! They usually asked as they were poking thru the 6 ft tall chainlink fence!!! Which always amassed me! BTW only 95% with drew their fingers! About 2.5% Did get nipped!

Old 01-06-2015, 06:22 AM

13,675 posts, read 13,485,460 times
Well of course any dog can bite. In fact, I hope to heck that in the right circumstances my dogs WILL bite.

After having a dog who was a biter before he came to live with me, I've become much more aware of the situations in which a dog will bite. My Catahoula terrifies the bejesus out of people on a regular basis - mainly to alert me that someone is approaching the property - but he knows that as long as I am present and relaxed there is no problem. His recall is excellent too, so I have no concerns when we're relaxing on my front porch. He stays by me.

But I don't leave him in an unsecured yard, and I don't even leave him in my fenced yard for very long unless I'm there. I have big windows that face the backyard and I keep an eye on him when he's out.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:10 AM

31 posts, read 72,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Well of course any dog can bite. In fact, I hope to heck that in the right circumstances my dogs WILL bite.

After having a dog who was a biter before he came to live with me, I've become much more aware of the situations in which a dog will bite. My Catahoula terrifies the bejesus out of people on a regular basis - mainly to alert me that someone is approaching the property - but he knows that as long as I am present and relaxed there is no problem. His recall is excellent too, so I have no concerns when we're relaxing on my front porch. He stays by me.

But I don't leave him in an unsecured yard, and I don't even leave him in my fenced yard for very long unless I'm there. I have big windows that face the backyard and I keep an eye on him when he's out.
I have two, and they are the same as you describe your Catahoula. They are the sweetest dogs, but don't get within 100' or so of my property, as I will know you are there and don't even try to come in our enclosed backyard without us introducing you first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or