U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:49 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,548,543 times

Advertisements

I live in the Chicago suburbs. Today its a high of -2, yesterday wasn't much warmer. I have someone at the end of my block who has some type of large grey poodle or maybe its some type of terrier. he is always outside in the summer, they have an electric fence. He's out there from morning until late at night. I think he actually likes being outside I know some dogs do. That said part of me wonders if they just throw him out there to get him out of the way or don't want to deal with him.

Anyhow, yesterday I went out to pickup a pizza and he was sitting on the top of his driveway, not walking around or laying just sitting there. I got home about 30 min later and he was still out there. I meant to drive by later to check again and was going to either call animal control or bring him home with me even though I geuss technically that would be stealing. Anyhow, I can't see it going well going up to someones door and being like you need to bring your dog in.

Wondering when is the time to say or do something? Also would you advice going to someones door and saying something, I have a feeling that would get them defensive and not go well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 03:46 PM

14,670 posts, read 10,561,660 times
1- If you took him that's not technically stealing. It is stealing.

2 - If you are worried call animal control, they will know whether they should intervene or not.

Yes, some dogs hate being inside. Mine was one until he turned 13.
When I post in bold red that is moderator action and, per the TOS, can only be discussed through Direct Message.Moderator - Asia, Arkansas (w/ subforums), Kentucky (w/ subforums), Military Life, and P&OC

Old 01-07-2015, 03:58 PM

917 posts, read 1,046,393 times
Just go talk to the owners and said you noticed their dog was outside in this cold weather. I would just say, does your dog enjoy being outside in this cold weather? (if you have a dog) say “Mine hates it! I cant even get him/her to go outside to go to the restroom”. Or just say it caught your attention because you are a dog lover and its so cold out. I posted something similar to this because my parents have a dog who hates being inside. Granted, Im in Texas and it never gets Chicago cold here.

Hope it works out!

Old 01-07-2015, 04:09 PM

19,187 posts, read 14,953,306 times
Is it possible that the dog has a dog door or some other heated outside shelter that it just isn't using. My lab barks at the door and the chow mix scratches the door if I forget them outside. Today the lab, for some reason I do not understand with the cold, just liked going out and standing there looking around. I suspect it warmed enough that the neighbor's cat was on the prowl and they are bought wanting to make it a "snack".

I would not go to the door of the owner. You could call Animal Control if you are concerned and the dog seems to look distressed.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:55 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,496,882 times
On one hand, I feel like -2 is WAY too cold for a dog to be outside with no shelter. On the other hand, I don't think a dog that was really feeling the cold would be sitting exposed at the top of the drive way. They tend to den up if they're cold - find a corner to curl up into where there's some measure of protection. I would call animal control and let them sort it out if it's really worrying you.

Personally, I can't understand people who leave dogs outside all day unsupervised. Grew up with a kennel full of hunting dogs in the backyard, and I have seen all the ways they can get themselves into trouble, and all the dangers that are out there. An electric fence just means the dog can't get away if another dog runs onto the property, as far as I'm concerned. On the other side of that, I've heard of several situations where a dog just ran through its EF without a care once it had enough motivation.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:32 PM

5,640 posts, read 17,283,744 times
Yeah I live in chicago and today: it's too cold for a dog to be outside all day long. I had to carry ours into the house today, her feet froze so bad she could not walk and she was only out 5 min for her peepee. I would knock on the door or leave a note on their door if no one is home. At least they know people are watching how they treat their animals.

Yes, some dogs like to be outdoors. Our one dog is not kept outside since she is small, but that dog could be outside ALL DAY LONG and not mind it. In fact when we camp, she is outside all day long.

But just cause they like it, doesn't mean it is good for them to be outdoors in this dangerous cold. good luck.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:47 PM

36,474 posts, read 43,582,608 times
bet Animal Control is very busy with this weather. Maybe if you got the owners' phone number and name and asked Animal Control to call them saying a neighbor is concerned about the welfare of the dog that might be enough for them to bring the dog in. Short of that you could call yourself and say you are concerned and wonder if there is anything you can do to help them make the dog comfortable. ..like offer your garage or storage shed or something to let them know neighbors are aware of this dog's plight.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:51 PM

5,625 posts, read 4,851,138 times
their dog their business. leave it at that , unless the dog is a danger to you.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:52 PM

43,435 posts, read 52,425,333 times
My 3 year old son likes to be outside all day even though it is 20 degrees here.

Doesn't mean I should let him.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:34 PM

36,474 posts, read 43,582,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
their dog their business. leave it at that , unless the dog is a danger to you.
the old "I don't want to get involved" attitude. Not the way our society should work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs