U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 06:21 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,640,012 times
Default What will you do if your dog is being approached by an off leash aggressive dog?

I am in no way a very experienced dog handler. I know I suppose to carry "direct stop" spray or a stick with me when I am walking my dog. But most of time I don't. If there is an aggressive off leash dog approaching your dog, would you let the leash go so your dog can run or fight? Or would you order your dog to sit and stay to allow you to fight the dog? The second option will require your dog completely trained. For an average dog owner, what will you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 06:24 PM

3,100 posts, read 179,638 times
i pick up my little chi and walk away quickly!

Old 01-06-2008, 06:35 PM

692 posts, read 2,786,694 times
I think it depends on your dog and size. With Teddie I've had to just scoop him up really fast, but with my other dogs that's a different story. I can't pick up and 30-80 pound dog and keep walking.

Mahalo was attached on a walk and all we could do is keep walking. She was attacked and after making sure she was ok at home and cleaned up we went back down to the house and pitched a fit.

Any other time we just turn in the opposite direction and keep walking. I keep a close eye on the other dog, but try my hardest to ignore them. Usually once we've gotten so far the dog will stop. We have had a few run after us though.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:43 PM

3,340 posts, read 1,949,642 times
Any other time we just turn in the opposite direction and keep walking. I keep a close eye on the other dog, but try my hardest to ignore them. Usually once we've gotten so far the dog will stop. We have had a few run after us though.[/quote]

This has been my experience as well. I just slowly started walking the other way without making eye contact. My dog is 85lbs and there is no way I'm picking her up!

Old 01-06-2008, 06:55 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,640,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb71 View Post
Any other time we just turn in the opposite direction and keep walking. I keep a close eye on the other dog, but try my hardest to ignore them. Usually once we've gotten so far the dog will stop. We have had a few run after us though.
This has been my experience as well. I just slowly started walking the other way without making eye contact. My dog is 85lbs and there is no way I'm picking her up![/quote]

Good suggestion. I froze and make my dog sit/stay. Luckily, the two of dogs who run towards to us and growled at us turned when they were really close. One of them was almost run over by a car. When we encountered an aggressive big lab, my GSD jumped behind me and I stood in the middle of them and asked the lab to leave (The only reason I was brave to do so is that I believe lab usually is gentle). The owner run out and called the dog away. Of course, she apologizes to me every time she meets me. She also thanks me to stand in the middle because she knew her dog won’t bite a person.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:20 PM

829 posts, read 6,591,923 times
Well I don't think I would want to go fight the dog. Thats pretty dangerous if its aggressive.

If I can I just be still and tell my dog to wait. I hate when they brace themselves for a challenge because this can make the other dog attack. So I try to get them to be calm like me. Then the dog looses interest. Thats when this is possible. Some dogs don't care if you are calm, well especially if you have another dog because that might be their target and they just want that dog away from their territory.

If it isn't a really aggressive dog but one thinking of a fight I will also pick my dog up to prevent the fight. What that other dog don't know might hurt it so I would much rather just pick my dog up then let the other dog get seriously injured dog because the other dogs owner is lazy or careless.

Sometimes I just keep walking. I was once walking one of my dogs and there was this really deep grass. A chocolate Lab came charging out but not all the way to the street. It was growing and staring and I barely paid it any mind. I just kept walking and it stayed.

Other times I will let my dog fight. I would never let go of the leash or let the dog off leash but if the dog comes within our space and attacks not much I can do. I've had this happen more then once. One was a GSD which jumped the fence and jumped my dog, all in a matter of seconds so not anything I could have really done. I'd much rather prevent the fight then let my dog harm a cur but sometimes the other dog is intent on the attack.

Sometimes its not safe to turn around and walk away. I try to let that dog be the one to diffuse the situation. If we stay calm and the dog does its thing and then looses interest I then walk away. I've seen dogs which wouldn't bite when you faced them but would bite when the person turned away. This was a ACD, Boxer and GSD. The people didn't run, yell or freak out but as soon as they turned their backs the dogs would make their move and bite the calf/legs. I'd assume this could happen similarly with dog on dog.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:11 PM

4,081 posts, read 10,556,719 times
I sadly no longer take my dogs for walks for the very reason of neighbors allowing theirs to run freely.

It happens both in our neighborhood and out on our greenbelt where there's a leash law

My dogs lose out because of others being careless.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:15 PM

1,587 posts, read 4,256,300 times
My dogs are big enough let aggressive one come at us attack my dog they fight I break neck of aggressive one. I been bit so many times last just Christmas time 2 of mine had to fight 4 holes in thighs but since my own not kill em but if came to it no problem..Here is a leash law also.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:33 AM

576 posts, read 2,908,783 times
Well my dogs are dog & people friendly so I hope this never happens but I do always carry a firearm when I am out with them, just so in case of a wild animal attack, like a bobcat, bear, coyote, wolf or and nasty dog - and for my own defense against bad people.

First it would be hard to control you own dog from fighting in an attack, and I would want them to at least try to defend themselves, so...

No one around to help? I'd drop the leash.

Is the attacker small? If so I'd let my dog kick ass.

Is the attacker large and most likely my dog will lose, be injured or killed by the off leashed beast? If yes, then I would get as close as possible and shoot the attacking dog multiply times or until it stopped.

I know my dogs wouldn't flinch at the sound of bang bang.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:15 AM

2,194 posts, read 4,013,219 times
I learned the hard way not to pick up my dog. An unleashed dog charged us while I was walking my dog. He's no weenie (in spite of being a dachshund - LOL!) and was trying to fight back so when I picked him up he snarled at me and snagged (I won't say bit!) my shoulder while at the same time the agressor dog bit my leg trying to get at my dog. I probably should have just let the leash go and let them work it out as I don't think the other dog was really that aggressive. They have had one other interaction that was a lot of snarling and snapping and no broken skin. I now think the worst thing you can do is pick up a dog who is trying to defend himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs