U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 02:24 PM

10,376 posts, read 5,861,713 times

Advertisements

Shepherd/Lab mixes seem to be very popular. I had a White Shepherd as well, by far the smartest dog I've ever owned and a great Frisbee dog. Terra loves Frisbee too but she can't jump up like Jessie could, as you said all 4 feet off the ground is quite a site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 04:31 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,292 posts, read 3,325,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Montana: A few thoughts. First off the dog you are referring to is a type of Belgium Shepherd correct? These are beautiful dogs and a bit smaller than a long coat, Terra is 100 pounds, and the smaller size may be good for you. I don't know Belgiums specifically but every Shepherd I have ever owned fits your description. They all have been tremendous protector but they instantly turn into sweet, loving dogs once they understand the intruder is a friend.

I do have a bit of a concern about getting a puppy at the age of 83. Let's be honest, the dog may outlive you. Do you have a backup plan to find a home for the dog should you become hospitalized etc?

If you have 14 fenced acres what is the purpose of the dog run? Are the fences not equipped to keep a dog in? If you are looking for a good house dog, and a Shepherd fits that for sure, then why have it sleep in the shed? They can't protect you from the shed should someone break into you home. Besides it's cold out there!

Dave, here is some additional info for clarification:
My adult daughter and husband live 15 minutes away from me on 3 acres and are fully equipped to take care of my dog(s) if I end up in the Happy Hunting Ground She loves my dogs and has taken care of them in the past.
The fenceing (4100 lineal feet) is 4 strands of smooth wire (used to have horses) and if a dog is not "Fence-Broke" they can go thru or under it.
The "Utility Room" I mentioned is gated off from the Kitchen in the house and that is where they sleep at night. If I call (or use the dog whistle) the dog from my bed room or where ever..........the dog can "jump-over the (24" high gate) gate" and come to me, but when put in there for the night (about 9pm), they stay there...........The dog run is for daytime use, if I don't have the dog inside the house with me. I have never let my dog(s) run free outside with out me being outside with them.......where I live out here in the "boonies" there are too many ways they could get "into trouble" {i.e.> coyotes, wolves, deer, elk, black bear, badger, porcupine, etc}. I also ALWAYS have the Electronic Training Collar on the dog WHENEVER the dog is outside!
.......Yes, I am a stickler for proper training and obedience. It is as important for the dog's safety as it is for my convenience and "trouble-free, every-day-living" with a 24/7 canine companion. My parents got me my first dog at age 8,.........and I have had at least one (and many years 3 or 4) dogs every year since.
At age 9 next month, this current Brittany has traveled with me (in his Travel Crate) in the SUV..over 75,000 miles to FL, GA, AL, TX, AZ, NV, ID & UT....70% of those miles came from spending some winter months in 6 of those states and a lot of Quail Hunting until some health considerations have "put-a-damper" on the hunting............other than that I still like to travel, but not as much as before.

And, lastly: I have located a "German Shepherd Rescue" Facility and Kennel very close to my home, right here in Westerm Montana.
I agree with your thoughts and those of the other folks kind enough to have commented, that the Malinois Breed of Shepherd would not be a preferred choice for me.
It appears that I will be working with the owner of this facility to find the "right" dog for my specific set of circumstances.

Thanks again to everyone who responded to my request for thoughts and opinions.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:20 PM

22,502 posts, read 28,391,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I have two wonderful GSD's that were mine, but, had to rehome and now I'm so upset they need to be rehomed again....
If you would give a location, even if it is just the state where the dogs are located, maybe someone can recommend a reputable rescue nearby where the dogs will be safe.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:25 PM

22,502 posts, read 28,391,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
......However I do very little bird hunting anymore ...... and I would like to get a 2nd dog to replace (when the time comes) my Brittany......not as a bird dog, but rather: (a) a companion; (b) a protector of me and my property and (c) a "good-house-dog"...
Veering slightly off topic, but a German Shepherd can make an excellent gun dog. I've known several people who hunted over a German Shepherd.

One of my pups went to a home where she was a constant companion. She went out bird hunting with her owner, owner's friend, and friend's well trained German Shorthair Pointer. At the end of the day, the German Shepherd was an excellent hunting dog, just from copying the Pointer. For a small bit of praise, a German Shepherd will do anything you ask. All you have to do is to figure out how to explain what it is that you want.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:31 AM

10,376 posts, read 5,861,713 times
Thanks Montana. I really should not have asked but it sounds like you've got a great set up. After reading about hunters in that other thread I'm glad you don't allow you dogs to run free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or