U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:51 AM

1,930 posts, read 1,863,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
OK, I am trying to be more polite as I re-join this forum. So, before I call BS on both of you, please post a link to contradict what I said:

I didn't say a "feral cat" and I didn't say properly vaccinated. I said any domestic pet. That is not a wild dog running loose or a feral cat. It is a domestic pet.

I'll apologize and withdraw my statement with a properly authenticated link.

Hint: Have a look at this:

Recovery of a Patient from Clinical Rabies — California, 2011

As per your own link.

Quote:
The patient resided in a rural community in Humboldt County, had never traveled outside of California, and had no travel outside the county within 6 months preceding illness onset. She had no history of having received rabies vaccine. The patient confirmed having contact with free-roaming, unvaccinated cats at her school on several occasions. She was scratched by two different cats approximately 9 weeks and 4 weeks before illness onset but reported no bites. Local public health officials implemented a program to collect and identify cats at the school. The first cat was observed to be healthy, but a reliable description of the second cat was not available. All other cats collected at the school remained healthy under observation.

Just because a cat is free roaming and unvaccinated does not mean that it is not someone's pet.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.VLlsGyvF_Ws
Quote:
South Carolina health officials say two Lancaster County residents were exposed to rabies earlier this month by an outside pet cat.

The cat tested positive for rabies last week, according to a statement issued Monday by the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control. Officials say the cat had not been vaccinated and when its owner noticed the cat acting sick on Dec. 18, the animal was taken to a vet.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy
http://www.independentmail.com/news/...ounty_33915632

Quote:
Four people have been referred to health-care providers for consultation after being exposed to rabies in the Seneca area by a puppy that tested positive for the virus, officials said.

The puppy was attacked by a skunk several weeks ago and received veterinary care for injuries, according to a South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control statement. The puppy was too young to have been vaccinated against rabies at the time of the incident and died. Lab results confirmed rabies on Wednesday. The skunk was a wild animal and was not available for testing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 05:03 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,218,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
As per your own link.

Just because a cat is free roaming and unvaccinated does not mean that it is not someone's pet.

2 Lancaster Co. residents exposed to rabies by pet cat | CharlotteObserver.com

Puppy exposes four people to rabies in Oconee County - Independent Mail

You are zero for two.

There was no indication that the little girl contracted rabies from a cat. She was scratched a month or two before she came down with the disease. The cat in question was not a domestic pet. It was a feral cat. They searched everywhere for the cat. They even exhumed the family horse to see if it had died of rabies but tests were inconclusive. Do you think they did not ask the neighbors if the "free roaming cat" was a pet?

And, there were plenty of other animals on her rural home that could have given her rabies. It was never determined that the cat had anything to do with the rabies.

The folks in S.C. did not get rabies. They were "exposed" to rabies. Meaning that their puppy had rabies. As a precaution, they received the shots. No human contracted rabies.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:46 PM

1,930 posts, read 1,863,629 times
Quote:
You are zero for two.

There was no indication that the little girl contracted rabies from a cat. She was scratched a month or two before she came down with the disease. The cat in question was not a domestic pet. It was a feral cat. They searched everywhere for the cat. They even exhumed the family horse to see if it had died of rabies but tests were inconclusive. Do you think they did not ask the neighbors if the "free roaming cat" was a pet?

And, there were plenty of other animals on her rural home that could have given her rabies. It was never determined that the cat had anything to do with the rabies.

The folks in S.C. did not get rabies. They were "exposed" to rabies. Meaning that their puppy had rabies. As a precaution, they received the shots. No human contracted rabies.
Okay you win. I don't know exactly what you win but I hope it makes you happy. That does of course not change the fact that to not vaccinate you pets against rabies is irresponsible. Even if no human as you are determined to state, has contracted rabies from a pet that is no excuse. No human has contracted parvo or distemper either but responsible pet owners still vaccinate their pets against these diseases. That's because we don't want the to contract these very serious and often fatal illnesses.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Okay you win. I don't know exactly what you win but I hope it makes you happy. That does of course not change the fact that to not vaccinate you pets against rabies is irresponsible. Even if no human as you are determined to state, has contracted rabies from a pet that is no excuse. No human has contracted parvo or distemper either but responsible pet owners still vaccinate their pets against these diseases. That's because we don't want the to contract these very serious and often fatal illnesses.

Thank you.

The reason this is important is that there are some persons who do not want to expose their indoor dogs to the vaccine which is actually quite risky. Please use your enthusiasm for this topic to research the adverse side effects of rabies vaccine, including sickness and death, inoculation site cancers, long term illness, and the deficiencies of dosages available.

Then consider the risk that a single pet owner faces from rabies.

If after that you maintain your opinion as to choice of some persons not to vaccinate their lap dogs, I have failed.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:32 PM

33,836 posts, read 41,911,495 times
Quote:
Thank you.

The reason this is important is that there are some persons who do not want to expose their indoor dogs to the vaccine which is actually quite risky. Please use your enthusiasm for this topic to research the adverse side effects of rabies vaccine, including sickness and death, inoculation site cancers, long term illness, and the deficiencies of dosages available.

Then consider the risk that a single pet owner faces from rabies.

If after that you maintain your opinion as to choice of some persons not to vaccinate their lap dogs, I have failed.

Did you vaccinate your kids?

Old 01-18-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Did you vaccinate your kids?

You should start a thread for this subject over in the Health and Wellness Forum. Its an deep topic with opinions all over the place and which is probably not all that interesting to Dog Forum folks, including me.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
You should start a thread for this subject over in the Health and Wellness Forum. Its an deep topic with opinions all over the place and which is probably not all that interesting to Dog Forum folks, including me.
You might wish to stop violating the vaccination for rabies laws most jurisdictions have.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:10 AM

Let's just say that little Snarfy, your long hair Chihuahua, has never put his feet on the ground because you live on the 16th Floor of the Regency Tower in mid-town Manhattan. He is box trained and you don't go out much being as you are an 80 year old spinster. And, you have learned that the vaccines have adverse side effects in tens of thousands of dogs every year and that the rate of adverse reactions including death is 10 times the average in Chiihuahuas.

Do you think it might make sense to skip the vaccine for Snarfy? Afraid a bat might fly in and bite the little fellow? I think it is a legitimate consideration.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Let's just say that little Snarfy, your long hair Chihuahua, has never put his feet on the ground because you live on the 16th Floor of the Regency Tower in mid-town Manhattan. He is box trained and you don't go out much being as you are an 80 year old spinster. And, you have learned that the vaccines have adverse side effects in tens of thousands of dogs every year and that the rate of adverse reactions including death is 10 times the average in Chiihuahuas.

Do you think it might make sense to skip the vaccine for Snarfy? Afraid a bat might fly in and bite the little fellow? I think it is a legitimate consideration.
Actually yes I do think it might make sense. But, as someone mentioned, if you need to board the dog for some reason and you can't due to a lack of vaccination, then what?

For full disclosure, I haven't owned a dog for decades, haven't had the time to properly train/maintain the breed I would want. But, I have watched people around me have "totally inside" dogs which get out to roam for some reason. This is an area where wildlife rabies, especially among raccoons, is out of control.

Yearly here, the animal control folks go after both feral dogs and cats. Invariably they capture numerous rabies infected ones.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually yes I do think it might make sense. But, as someone mentioned, if you need to board the dog for some reason and you can't due to a lack of vaccination, then what?

For full disclosure, I haven't owned a dog for decades, haven't had the time to properly train/maintain the breed I would want. But, I have watched people around me have "totally inside" dogs which get out to roam for some reason. This is an area where wildlife rabies, especially among raccoons, is out of control.

Yearly here, the animal control folks go after both feral dogs and cats. Invariably they capture numerous rabies infected ones.

Let's return to the operative fact. In all of U.S. history, there has never been one case of a human contracting rabies from a domestic cat or dog.

When one considers this in the context of an inside dog, little Snarfy, and 5,000,000 unvaccinated dogs in the U.S. running around outdoors, it is easy to see why it makes sense. Snarfy has a one in 10 million chance of getting rabies even if he jumps out of his owner's arms and runs around in the park for a while. A "while" meaning all 20 years of his life. But, he has a much, much higher likelihood of having serious ,expensive side effects from the vaccine, including death and permanent injuries. And, even if he gets rabies he has to bite his owner, and then even if he has rabies and bites the owner, he will go in quarantine and then the owner will have to get the shots. Now we are getting into probability occurrences in the range of you being hit by a tree that fell over because a meteor from outer space hit it.

So little Snarfy sits on momma's lap and she considers the taxi ride downtown to see the Vet who will not discuss the dosage he is going to give little Snarfy because the dosage is the same for 11 pound Snarfy as it is for 140 pound Brutus and reactions are 10 times as much for small dogs. But the Vet won't discuss it, because the Department of Agriculture has spoken on the subject.

So what shall she do?

Let me add one thing. When you read the words, "public health" please remember that that means: "It may not be good for you personally, but we are subjecting you to this risk because it may be in the greater good for the general public that you do this." Public Health officials are not your friend. They are certainly not Snarfy's friend. They are the Government's friend. And, as we all know, the government is not right 100% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or