Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:28 PM

660 posts, read 1,616,385 times

Advertisements

We just got a puppy. I'm ignorant about rabies and always thought all unvaccinated dogs have rabies. And if you are bitten by an unvaccinated dog you'll get rabies infection?

Based on what I've been reading dogs don't have rabies. They get infected with rabies? If our puppy only stays at home and never in contact with other animals even if he accidentally bite us, we won't get rabies infection?

Our puppy isn't due for rabies vaccination until a few weeks from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:32 PM

660 posts, read 1,616,385 times
Just found out, dogs aren't born with rabies. They get infected with rabies if bitten by another animal with rabies. that's a relief. I've been concerned about our puppy accidentally biting us.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:43 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
All mammals can be infected with rabies. I don't know of any place that does not require a dog to get vaccinated by 6 months of age. Look to your local animal shelter or animal control for where there might be a vaccination event. They are usually cheaper than making a vet appointment. You should still inquire about the event for the other vaccinations like parvovirus. Those start at 8 weeks.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:30 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
There has never been one documented case of a human contracting rabies from a domestic pet.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:47 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
An unvaccinated dog can contract rabies if they come into contact with the saliva of an infected dog, raccoon, skunk, bat, fox, or coyote. (I knew some of that, then looked at the info on the Humane Society's website: Understanding Rabies : The Humane Society of the United States)

When your dog goes outside to p/p or when you take the dog on walks, there is a slight possibility of the dog encountering one of those animals which might have rabies. Even in the biggest cities there are bats and raccoons, and raccoons in particular have a very high incidence of rabies.

I personally encountered a rabid raccoon in one of our barns, and it scared the peediddly out of me. I didn't have my dog with me at the time, but could have.

That raccoon I encountered was SO sick and suffering, once I got over being scared I felt so sorry for it. In our county we had to wait for the wildlife officer to come put it out of it's misery. You don't want your dog to have to go through that kind of suffering.

So, it's simple. Get your dog vaccinated - just in case. It's not that expensive, and once they have the shot you don't have to worry about rabies at all.

BTW, most cities and towns have animal ordinances that REQUIRE pet owners to have their pets vaccinated against rabies.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:57 AM

30,512 posts, read 16,213,477 times
Understanding Rabies : The Humane Society of the United States

much useful info, including the fact that the poor ol' opossum doesn't get rabies.

Congratulations on your first dog. You sound like you'll be a good dog owner.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
You will not be able to leave your dog to be board if you go out of town without rabies or kennel cough shots. Same if you take it for grooming. It is the law.
If you don't have your dog vaccinated or are even 1 week late with renewal and it comes into contact with (not even bitten by) a rabid animal it is either killed or put in quarantine for 6 months at your expense till all danger has passed. That might vary by region and municipality but it certainly is the law here.

So you say you keep your dog under control at all times and never leaves you side....what about bats which might get in your attic? Happens all the time. Bats are notorious for rabies.

Don't take a chance.
Only condition puppies are born with is worms and that is why all puppies need to see a vet for shots and deworming. Don't take short cuts with your pet's health and you will have a loving companion for many happy years.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:58 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
nevermind, misunderstood the comment.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:13 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Although I do not have a dog, I would not risk vaccination of my indoor house cat.

In order to provide some balance to this discussion, let me offer the following.

Rabies vaccinations are not to protect the dog. They are to protect the public health. For those of you familiar with "public health" you know that means, "it may not be good for you as an individual but the general public will benefit from you subjecting yourself to this risk."

Rabies vaccinations are dangerous to your pet. There are thousands of dead pets, sick pets, permanently injured pets as a result of rabies vaccinations. look it up. They are given without dosage adjustment so that your 11 pound Yorkie gets the same volume of vaccine as my 140 pound Mastiff. The smaller the dog, the younger the dog, the more dangerous the vaccination is.

Let me restate what I said above: In the U.S. there has never been a case of rabies transmitted to a human from a domestic cat or dog.

So, the rabies vaccine is for the public welfare, like taxes and not watering your lawn in the summer. It is the law most places and laws should be complied with. But, let's keep our facts straight.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I lost a cat years ago to vaccine site cancer so I don't get my INDOOR ONLY cats vaccinated. My vet knows and says she has to tell me it is the law.
I took all 4 pets-2 dogs,2 cats- in for dentals to a different vet. He explained there are different vax for cats and he would give the safest to my cats. I acquiesced simply because I haven't been on vacation in quite awhile because we cannot board our cats without shots. I hope this decision doesn't come back to bite me. I admit the cat I lost was over 30 years ago so i'm hoping things are safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs