U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:05 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,491,553 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I network dogs and cats so if you want me to network him please let me know as I would love for this dog to either find his owner or a loving forever home. That is of course if your kind hearted wife decides to keep him! :-) that would be awesome as both of you sound like great dog owners. Anyway, my email address is modgeddi@aol.com if you can send me a pic, location, approx. age, etc. I would get started right away... By the way, this is my brother's account but he showed me this post as he knows how much I love to help and love animals so if you do respond on this forum he will show me but emIling me the info. Is the best and thank you again for caring about this dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well we have been feeding a cat someone dumped here in our apt complex and he is a sweet cat , huge and lets me pet him like crazy and I have been feeding him but Im leaving in a few months and it bothers me that I might have to leave that cat homeless . where im moving too allows only two pets max and im at that with my Chihuahuas and I called the no kill and they are at their max and there are no other no kills in my area which sucks to the max . someone at my husbands work said they might want the cat but have said nothing further which infuriates me , don't tell someone yes and then change your mind .... so I guess he will be taken to the humane society which I know will put him to sleep with all the strays in this area makes me crazy but what can I do ?
Hi,

I network animals and have rehomed many so if you want me to network the cat please email me a pic, description, age, location, etc. and I will network the cat for you. My email is modgeddi@aol.com this is my brother's account so please send any correspondence to my email. Thank you!

Old 01-17-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Bit of a rant here, but here goes.

Today, an old beagle showed up in my cul du sac with a collar and no identification. He is deaf and has cataracts in his eyes. He had a bite on his right leg, but is otherwise a healthy pleasant dog. He came to my dogs, and walked with us for a little this morning, then couldn't keep up. When we got back from or out and back walk, he joined us again, and followed us home. He is really sweet and easy going, but somewhat movement impaired (age).

We posted a sign, asked the usual dog walkers and local neighbors, and no one has ever seen the dog before. Checked with the HOA resident manager, and he said it was not a dog from the development, and that we get about a dog a week dumped in the development.

He is going to the humane society tomorrow, and will likely be put to sleep. I feel terrible, and a little mad that this became my problem because his owner dumped him

A couple months ago, I found another dog here, and after posting signs etc. ended up bringing her to a no kill shelter. She was adopted a week later.

The beach park I sometimes walk my dogs at, has resulted in finding two abandoned dogs. One got killed by the side of the road, the other I got to a no kill shelter, and she was adopted a week later.

Last year I fostered a dumped mother and pup. Tuck and Taffy are both abandoned dogs I got from the shelter.

The cruelty of dumping a dog really bothers me, and I guess I am not built that way - that I could abandon a pet. I get giving a dog up for adoption or even re homing, things happen, but dumping a dog is unnecessarily cruel to the animal.

If you have a dog, you have a responsibility to take care of it - even if that is responsibly re homing, adopting, or putting to sleep. Don't make me do your dirty work by dumping the dog!

Rant over.
Hi,
I network dogs and cats so if you want me to network him please let me know as I would love for this dog to either find his owner or a loving forever home. That is of course if your kind hearted wife decides to keep him! :-) that would be awesome as both of you sound like great dog owners. Anyway, my email address is modgeddi@aol.com if you can send me a pic, location, approx. age, etc. I would get started right away... By the way, this is my brother's account but he showed me this post as he knows how much I love to help and love animals so if you do respond on this forum he will show me but emIling me the info. Is the best and thank you again for caring about this dog.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:47 PM

1,752 posts, read 1,646,679 times
Nema98, thanks for the offer to help, but I live on Oahu, so I sort of need to deal with local resources. A dog this old would really not do well on an 6-8 hour flight with the follow transportation requirements, but I do appreciate your offer.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Nema98, thanks for the offer to help, but I live on Oahu, so I sort of need to deal with local resources. A dog this old would really not do well on an 6-8 hour flight with the follow transportation requirements, but I do appreciate your offer.

Makes sense, by the way my sister made that offer, but used my account since she is not a City Data member. Not that I PERSONALLY made the offer.

But I will relay the offer to her.

Thanks.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Hi,

Also if I moderator would be kind enough to delete this comment I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2015, 07:48 PM

5,640 posts, read 17,290,233 times
sometimes old dogs just wander away because they are blind. But really, the owners are probably not trying to find him all that hard
Very sad. I know we took care of a "dumped" cat for 5 years. Owner had her house foreclosed on. She moved to FL and left the cat. Very cool cat too, shelters were all full would not take him. No neighbor or relative could take him. At least he had a good 5 with us.
We live in an unincorporated area for 20+ years it has been a non-stop battle with the feral and dumped cats. ridiculous.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:46 PM

1,752 posts, read 1,646,679 times
Just an update. I stopped in at the OSPCA to check for a chip (my vet can't check for "Homefinder" chips, which is what the OSPCA uses), and the intake gal says, "Oh, I know that dog, I thought he looked familiar in your pictures on the lost dog post, the owners tried to drop him off here, but he has a lot of health issues." She recommended they take the dog to the Humane society to be put down. Instead, they dumped him.

The dog is deaf, which I knew, has Heartworm, and cancer. He was vomiting blood, and had blood in his stool when they brought him in to turn him over to the OSPCA. Tuck is on fish based no grain food, and by default so is Taffy, and now Herman (that's what I've taken to calling him), and his health seems to be improving day by day, but based on his issues, that's a temporary improvement at best.

As of right now, he's very happy hanging with my dogs, seems to be enjoying life, albeit he's pretty slow and sometimes gets very out of breath, so I guess he stays until we move this summer, unless he passes first. The vet told me he wouldn't survive the plane trip, so if he lasts until the move, I will have to put him down then.

I had hoped to get him to his owners, then to an adoptive family if I couldn't find the owners, but under the circumstances, those two options are not realistic.

Rant stands...

Old 01-21-2015, 07:22 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,514,075 times
Quote:
Just an update. I stopped in at the OSPCA to check for a chip (my vet can't check for "Homefinder" chips, which is what the OSPCA uses), and the intake gal says, "Oh, I know that dog, I thought he looked familiar in your pictures on the lost dog post, the owners tried to drop him off here, but he has a lot of health issues." She recommended they take the dog to the Humane society to be put down. Instead, they dumped him.

The dog is deaf, which I knew, has Heartworm, and cancer. He was vomiting blood, and had blood in his stool when they brought him in to turn him over to the OSPCA. Tuck is on fish based no grain food, and by default so is Taffy, and now Herman (that's what I've taken to calling him), and his health seems to be improving day by day, but based on his issues, that's a temporary improvement at best.

As of right now, he's very happy hanging with my dogs, seems to be enjoying life, albeit he's pretty slow and sometimes gets very out of breath, so I guess he stays until we move this summer, unless he passes first. The vet told me he wouldn't survive the plane trip, so if he lasts until the move, I will have to put him down then.

I had hoped to get him to his owners, then to an adoptive family if I couldn't find the owners, but under the circumstances, those two options are not realistic.

Rant stands...
You're doing a really good thing.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:42 PM

11,802 posts, read 26,735,626 times
Quote:
Bit of a rant here, but here goes.

Today, an old beagle showed up in my cul du sac with a collar and no identification. He is deaf and has cataracts in his eyes. He had a bite on his right leg, but is otherwise a healthy pleasant dog. He came to my dogs, and walked with us for a little this morning, then couldn't keep up. When we got back from or out and back walk, he joined us again, and followed us home. He is really sweet and easy going, but somewhat movement impaired (age).

We posted a sign, asked the usual dog walkers and local neighbors, and no one has ever seen the dog before. Checked with the HOA resident manager, and he said it was not a dog from the development, and that we get about a dog a week dumped in the development.

He is going to the humane society tomorrow, and will likely be put to sleep. I feel terrible, and a little mad that this became my problem because his owner dumped him

A couple months ago, I found another dog here, and after posting signs etc. ended up bringing her to a no kill shelter. She was adopted a week later.

The beach park I sometimes walk my dogs at, has resulted in finding two abandoned dogs. One got killed by the side of the road, the other I got to a no kill shelter, and she was adopted a week later.

Last year I fostered a dumped mother and pup. Tuck and Taffy are both abandoned dogs I got from the shelter.

The cruelty of dumping a dog really bothers me, and I guess I am not built that way - that I could abandon a pet. I get giving a dog up for adoption or even re homing, things happen, but dumping a dog is unnecessarily cruel to the animal.

If you have a dog, you have a responsibility to take care of it - even if that is responsibly re homing, adopting, or putting to sleep. Don't make me do your dirty work by dumping the dog!

Rant over.

I was hesitant to read this but it too drives me crazy. I can't understand how people can just dump their family members. If you can't keep or don't want your pets, rehome them or at least turn them into the shelter last resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or