U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 02:23 PM

5,850 posts, read 8,791,969 times

Advertisements

It looks like I may need to switch my dog to a renal diet - I'm awaiting her urine culture tests, but she probably has crystals again. We'll check for stones if she does.

I know the prescription diet foods generally are awful - just looked up Royal Canin, loaded with rice and corn. Ugh. I've always made sure to give my dog quality food.

Do any of you know the best prescription food, or, is there a good vet-approved nonprescription food? I hate the idea of my dog eating that prescription diet for the rest of her life :-/

Also does that mean no treats for her, or are there renal diet treats available too?

Thanks. Worried for my dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 07:54 PM

11,789 posts, read 26,707,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
It looks like I may need to switch my dog to a renal diet - I'm awaiting her urine culture tests, but she probably has crystals again. We'll check for stones if she does.

I know the prescription diet foods generally are awful - just looked up Royal Canin, loaded with rice and corn. Ugh. I've always made sure to give my dog quality food.

Do any of you know the best prescription food, or, is there a good vet-approved nonprescription food? I hate the idea of my dog eating that prescription diet for the rest of her life :-/

Also does that mean no treats for her, or are there renal diet treats available too?

Thanks. Worried for my dog!
Unfortunately, prescription diet is the best route. It is monitored by the USDA so it is always consistent and the appropriate ingredients for dogs with recurrent UTI's and crystals. You can make your own treats out of the prescription diet. Get the can food and make meatballs. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until crispy on 350 and it makes a crunchy treat You can also do it in the microwave for 2 1/2-3 minutes.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:45 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,642,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post

I always thought the same thing. One of mine has multiple issues, but most importantly liver shunts which has caused ammonia-based stones in the bladder. To treat, we have to do so through diet. My vet prescribed the Hill's l/d. I was very concerned about the nutritional value, so I reached out to a veterinary nutritionist (through Virginia Tech Vet School). While she did provide me a homemade recipe for meals, she ASSURED me that the Hill's recipe was actually the best diet for my dog.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:48 AM

Really! Thanks so much to you both. That eases my mind. I like the idea of baking treats from the canned.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:17 AM

3,181 posts, read 7,025,414 times
Sophie doesn't have renal problems, but her favorite treat is cucumber slices. You may want to see if there is a fruit or veggie that the vet says is ok and your pup likes.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:59 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,642,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Sophie doesn't have renal problems, but her favorite treat is cucumber slices. You may want to see if there is a fruit or veggie that the vet says is ok and your pup likes.
Agreed. One of my dog's favorite treats is an ice cube. Another one LOVES clementine sections. Most dogs like veggies.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:02 AM

5,000 posts, read 14,433,061 times
I fed my dog Royal Canin renal diet prescription dog food for a little over two years. She was diagnosed with kidney disease in October 2011. I had her euthanized in December 2013. The vet told me I was "lucky" to have caught her kidney disease early since most dog owners find out when it's too late.

From the information I've read online, a reduction of protein & phosphorous is necessary to help the kidneys so they don't have to work as hard. My vet recommended salmon oil to help make her dry, prescription dog food more appealing. My dog would eat the prescription food and the salmon oil no problem until the end.

The prescription dog food was expensive, but my dog's health was worth it to me.

As far as treats, I agree, it was hard to adjust to her not getting her treat every morning. I searched for low protein treats. I also consulted with my vet as her disease progressed and we monitored the level of proteins in her diet. One possible solution was sweet potato dog treats.

Good luck to you & your dog.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:46 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,493,126 times
I reversed my senior dog's kidney problems (high creatinine from a bladder/kidney infection) through home cooking that focused not on low protein, but on low phosphorus. I basically made him meat loafs of ground meat, fruit and veggies that were on the approved list. I'd cook weekly and freeze it in single servings.

He was fine within a few months. But this was the result of an infection and not a chronic kidney problem.

Sometimes a kidney disorder requires a low-protein diet, but sometimes a low-phosphorus diet is more effective.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:25 PM

Thanks so much, all! I'm still waiting on results. I did run across info about low phosphorus diets - that's encouraging that it worked for your pup.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,444 times
I am going to jump in here and hope I can get some advice.. I just joined the forum..My amazing 4 1/2 year old English Bulldog "Dublin" has been diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease. It is rare in bulldogs and one so young. We discovered this while we were treating a bad kidney infection and finally had x-rays and ultrasound done. She is just finished 6 weeks of antibiotics and our hope it that it doesn't come back... We are transitioning her to Hills K/D. She is eating just fine but is very lethargic. Vet said it could be from the long course of antibiotics and I guess we will know if that is the case as she is no longer on them. The vet really can't give us any real time line but he did say could be a couple of months or a couple of years... My husband is devastated as she is his "girl" :-) Can anyone with this same type of experience give me any good ideas of what I am facing here. I will read and appreciate any and all replies. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or