Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 04:51 PM

621 posts, read 1,421,459 times

Advertisements

Mini Poodle would be a great choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 06:42 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
Mini Poodle would be a great choice!
We had one about 20 years ago, and I loved the little booger, but they don't generally do well with children (we had 4 kids), and tend to bond with one person far more than the rest of the family. Mine got "nippy" with kids at about year 6, which would put the OPs child at 10...

They are hypo-alergenic and don't shed. Mine rarely barked, unless some one knocked at the door, and then all heck broke loose, but he wasn't "yappy" at all (a frequent knock on the breed).

Old 01-20-2015, 11:42 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
the australian terrier is a nice dogs who loves children however they are somewhat hard to find.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:10 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
My brother had a Shar Pei when his boys were growing up and he shed a ton just like a lab. He was great with his family but they had to be careful when others came over as they are very protective of their family, He actually bit the roofer when the roofer reached to take something from my sister in law , He a was standing by her side as the two talked and when the man reached out to take a paper from her the dog protected her and bit his hand

I was born into a house with dogs most of them mutts and all of them wonderful dogs. We always had a blast when it was time to get a new dog and off we would go to the shelter to find that dog. The one I have right now Chaos is so fantastic with kids and she did not grow even up with them. so there is much to be said for a mutt.

I also own a Silken Windhound while not at all protective, he has a longer coat and is low shedding, he has a fantastic temperament, he loves everyone and is very very tolerant of kids he is quiet, he will bark or make a howl type noise when he plays but if he hears things he never barks, he is a couch potato so if her gets out for a walk or run he is happy just hanging out and cuddling. he is not only beautiful but elegant. I do think the breed make wonderful family dogs.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:04 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calitransplant27 View Post
Thanks! I looked up Beagles and I am seriously thinking about them now. I don't really care for the look of the Boston Terrier.
Beagles are very active dogs and need the ability to run daily. Exercise by walks is not going to suffice.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:41 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Beagles are very active dogs and need the ability to run daily. Exercise by walks is not going to suffice.
Depends on the dog. Since the OP is looking for a 2-3 year old, it will have already settled into its personality. Some beagles have very laid back and lazy personalities.

OP, beagles are GREAT dogs. Watch out for shyness though - there are some beagles that have that bred into them (I knew hunters who claimed to prefer shy dogs as a child!!!). Look into clicker training as well - the only thing that can overcome a beagle's nose is its insane food drive. (Be very careful about overfeeding a beagle!)

And you MUST have a fenced in yard if you are intending to ever let it outside unsupervised for even a moment. And even then, be wary - some beagles are shockingly good climbers.

A good game to play with beagles would be "nosework" - it's a dog sport, but you can do it yourself at home just for fun. I've done it with my Catahoula, and it really builds a bond. YouTube it.

My dad had hunting dogs, and his beagles were very sweet natured with me as a child. They could be really barky is the only caveat. And as for protective, when I was a kid, my 6-month-old pup once flung himself between me and a relative who had walked into our backyard to say hi. He didn't know it was a friend and he was barking furiously at the intruder. It was pretty funny.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:57 PM

246 posts, read 278,934 times
We had a beagle and they are hard to train, plus OURS ran away a lot following his nose. I would recommend as others said an older dog, best ones I have seen with kids are labs, golden retrievers and collies. That said they all shed but are lovers and very good with kids. I would look at rescue groups or adopt for sure.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:30 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calitransplant27 View Post
I'm looking to get a dog next month, and would like some help figuring out which kind would be the best fit for my family.

I want a laid back dog- I understand all dogs are playful and energetic but some are more high energy than others....

I have a 4 year old, so need a dog that would be good with young kids

I have a house with a yard but it's not really the type of yard that is good for a dog, so it would be in the house most of the time unless we are out for our daily walk. That being said, I'd prefer a medium size dog.

As a single mom, I would like a dog that is kinda protective as well.

Want a dog that does not shed a whole ton.

I think the pugs/bulldogs are really cute and I think they fit most of my criteria, but I have heard that they have a lot of health problems and my friends have kind of steered me away from them.

Thanks in advance for your help!

If I were a shelter or breeder from whom you were hoping to get a dog, I would be concerned about your lack of outdoor space for the dog. All dogs need a safe place to run around off-leash at least a few times per week; it is good for the dog, emotionally and physically to be able to run under his/her own power as well as long walks on-leash. If you don't plan on allowing the dog to run in the yard, which is how I interpret your post, do you have access to fenced dog parks or wooded areas removed from traffic (and the willingness to train your dog to reliably accompany you off-leash there - noting that some breeds and mixes cannot be trusted off-leash in unfenced areas).

I would definitely try to fence off part of your yard; it will make your life, and your dog's life, much easier during bad weather/nights when the dog has to go outside.

Also, you say that you're looking to get a dog next month? If you are careful in your search for a dog (and you should be, this is a living creature who will hopefully be a companion to you and your young child and live in your home for at least 10 years), you should allow yourself more than a month to find the right one. Yes, you could get lucky and find a great pup or dog in February, but don't count on it.

Has your child interacted with dogs before? If so, does the child tend to be gentle and quiet with dogs, or more pushy? You would know whether your child is willing to stop smothering the dog with love when the dog wants some alone time, or how well the child listens to you. But even the nicest of dogs may snap if a child doesn't desist tugging on its ears, or hugging it. And that is not the fault of the child or the dogs.

In your shoes, I would not want a protective dog. The dog will probably protect you and your child, but it might decide that your child's little friends are hurting him/her when the kids are playing. Besides, the presence of a dog is usually intimidating to criminals, because dogs bark at disturbances and criminals usually prefer easy targets.

If you want to get a dog from a responsible breeder (or purebred rescue organization), you might try looking for a Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier and trying to get a mellow one. They don't shed, but they are not low-energy; though they are usually one of the more friendly terrier breeds. I would consider getting a shedding breed or mix that is good with children and relatively low-energy: Basset Hound (though they do need daily exercise, they're not hyper), retired racing Greyhound, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, English Cocker Spaniel, Havanese, Keeshond, to name a few possibilities. Beagles can be lovely dogs; they do sometimes have very loud hound voices and they must have regular exercise or they will get fat.

It is possible to find a great purebred or mixed-breed dog; but I hope you will proceed with care. If you prefer to get a dog from a rescue/shelter situation, you would do well to look at one where the dog has been fostered and you can talk to the fosterer to get a good idea of the dog's character.

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2015, 06:31 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
What about a French bulldog or Boston terrier?

Old 01-23-2015, 06:42 PM

104 posts, read 420,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
We had one about 20 years ago, and I loved the little booger, but they don't generally do well with children (we had 4 kids), and tend to bond with one person far more than the rest of the family. Mine got "nippy" with kids at about year 6, which would put the OPs child at 10...

They are hypo-alergenic and don't shed. Mine rarely barked, unless some one knocked at the door, and then all heck broke loose, but he wasn't "yappy" at all (a frequent knock on the breed).

I also heard bad things about mini poodles and kids.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs