Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 07:39 AM

218 posts, read 390,823 times

Advertisements

We have recliner chair and whenever my husband sits on it or when my family comes over and sits on it the dog will jump up and sit on their lap but when I sit on it he comes over and wants to get up but he won't. Like he puts his paws up and comes over to kiss me and when I tell him to come up he hesitates and acts scared like he will hurt me. Why me and everyone else he just jumps right up?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 04:44 PM

Anyone?

Old 01-21-2015, 04:54 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,708,805 times
How is your relationship with him otherwise? Do you feed him? Are you the main disciplinarian? Hard to take even a guess without some additional information.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:59 PM

I feed him 50% of the time. He is closer to my husband but he does love me. Very loving towards me. It's just weird how he wants to jump up and be on my lap but seems like he is afraid. Not with anyone else though. Also in bed he will lay on top of my husband to give him kisses but with me he will only stand over me. He will lay across my legs and next to me but never on top of me like he does with others. Not that it's a good thing he gets all up on top of people but not sure why its different with me.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:30 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,220,049 times
Dr Phil moment here. This is a little convoluted, but follow me through the thought process. Dogs tend to identify one person in charge, and that may or may not be their "favorite" person, but they are in charge. The "in charge" person/dog gets respect that is only accorded to them.

So...

If your husband defers to you, and the dog has picked up on his deference, you may be the person "in charge" even though your husband (per your post) is the dogs favorite. As the "in charge" person, the dog must wait for an invitation to come into your space.

Or...

In the past the dog jumped in you, laid on you etc, and you reacted in a way that either started or scared the dog, or made the dog think he hurt you and he has developed a pattern of avoiding you to avoid the reaction - and you may not remember anything about it, because it was traumatic to the dog, not you.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:09 AM

483 posts, read 649,411 times
The same thing happens at our house. Our youngest dog loves to climb in everyone's laps and lick them, and he doesn't do it to me. I'm the "pack leader" in our house. My husband likes to joke that I'm the strict parent and he's the fun one

Its because, the first time he tried, I told him off. Don't get me wrong, I love him, but our other dog doesn't lick so I didn't want him licking and he weighs 62lbs, he would crush me lol.

You probably made it clear to him a while back that that behavior wasn't okay and he listened to you. You should teach him some tricks that he only does for you, and have a special toy for just you too, if you want to feel closer to him. Our two do seem to have their favorites, Bailey is much more my husband dog(the lap sitter as mentioned above) and Maddie, who I had for 3 years before we even got married, is my princess. So it works out.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:59 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,343,947 times
Its because to him you are the "alpha" dog. I'm guessing he will run up and sit by your feet if you pat your calf.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:24 AM

936 posts, read 2,058,693 times
He's being respectful to you and trying to dominate the rest of them. He's letting you have the high value seat, he doesn't want them to have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs