U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 05:00 PM

3,228 posts, read 2,839,441 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/doggie-...775190011.html

I am not a dog owner, but I am a cat owner. However, when I saw this on Yahoo! when checking my e-mail, I wanted to read it (I have thought about having a kitty bucket list for my cat when her time nears the end - she's 9, so she has many years left... knock on wood). Oh man, water works!

I have to say my favorite is 6/11:

Quote:
Cuddle as much as possible
Sure Gizelle was bigger than me, but she never knew it. After I discovered she was dying, dog hair on my once-forbidden bed and slobber on my face didn’t seem to matter as much as spending time cuddling with Gizelle. She helped teach me that love is the most wonderful gift I can receive, and it is the best thing I have to give. My lap became her desired seat, and it was awesome.

Though, 11/11 is where the water works really took off:

Quote:
Sit on the beach in the winter
I was told Gizelle wouldn’t make it until Christmas, but in January we sat by the ocean in Maine as it snowed the day before she died. Part of me wondered if this was her plan all along, to take me on an adventure, knowing we’d end up on a deserted beach alone. The sky was white, the trees were bare, and even the birds were hiding. The whole world felt lifeless, and it was hard to believe this beach was once filled with rainbow-colored umbrellas and cute boys lathered in SPF. It was then I realized that I was okay with letting Gizelle go. Just like I had faith that the trees would sprout lime green leaves again and kids with yellow buckets would splash in the water once more, I had faith I’d carry Gizelle with me. Even in the emptiness of that beach that day, I could see Gizelle running free long the shore, rolling in the sand, awkwardly spooked by approaching waves. I knew she would live on through my experiences, and that I gave her the best life I could. And that to me was infinitely healing.
I actually feel like writing a poem about this because the image is so beautiful. I do think letting go an animal as well as a human we love so much is painful, but when we realize that our loved ones live on through our experiences, memories and everything else, there is a sort of healing to it.

Sorry for the water works, but I had to share this! I think all animal lovers could relate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 05:54 PM

460 posts, read 691,103 times
I have a dog with cancer, and she means the world to me, she has a great life, but she is super happy just doing the daily car ride, trip to the dog park, pet store, getting to chew on good things, eat good food, playing with her toys and get her daily massage - she loves her vibrating massager. But I doubt she would get much more enjoyment out of being dragged clear across the country so I could take her picture in Times Square. But hey whatever floats your boat.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:21 PM

Gizelle's owner is a travel writer and PR Travel woman, so I guess that's why a doggy bucket list was created. I would love to do a bucket list for my cat, but my cat gets freaked out being in a car and in a cage in weird places. I guess when her time comes, just make it as comfortable as possible. I lost my other cat suddenly 3 years ago - we think she had a heart attack and just died. We took her to the ER (sadly, a half an hour drive) and they couldn't revive her. Very sad. But, she was 18.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:34 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,124,181 times
Thanks for sharing.That owner now has all those great memories and photos and that is priceless. When I knew Dash's cancer had won and I would soon be letting him go. I left Jazz and Dazzle at home and Dash and I went through a fast food place and I got him a burger and fries and shared a chocolate shake with him. We sat on the bluffs overlooking the ocean beach he loved so much and ate our meal. I think he thought he had died and gone to heaven having junk food! The next day we went to say good bye to a dog play group we met every Thursday and one of the women had gotten a burger for him which he happily ate then looked at her wondering where the fries and chocolate shake were? That evening I drove around and he and I visited all the places he had loved going stopping long enough to get out and take brief walk at each place. The next day he was ready to go and walked into the vets the not shaking in fear like he usually did and layed down on the dog bed they had put in the room as he waited for his next journey to begin. I like to believe he was a peace with what was coming and I was left with some great last memories of him. I miss him but thoughts of him make me smile I tend to see him on that cliff enjoying that long forbidden junk food meal.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Thanks for sharing.That owner now has all those great memories and photos and that is priceless. When I knew Dash's cancer had won and I would soon be letting him go. I left Jazz and Dazzle at home and Dash and I went through a fast food place and I got him a burger and fries and shared a chocolate shake with him. We sat on the bluffs overlooking the ocean beach he loved so much and ate our meal. I think he thought he had died and gone to heaven having junk food! The next day we went to say good bye to a dog play group we met every Thursday and one of the women had gotten a burger for him which he happily ate then looked at her wondering where the fries and chocolate shake were? That evening I drove around and he and I visited all the places he had loved going stopping long enough to get out and take brief walk at each place. The next day he was ready to go and walked into the vets the not shaking in fear like he usually did and layed down on the dog bed they had put in the room as he waited for his next journey to begin. I like to believe he was a peace with what was coming and I was left with some great last memories of him. I miss him but thoughts of him make me smile I tend to see him on that cliff enjoying that long forbidden junk food meal.
Awww, that's so beautiful! We have done things like that with some of the cats we have owned over the years too. My aunt has one dog, she's 11 and has arthritis. She's a mountain dog, so I think she has hip issues too. I know when I'm dog sitting, I indulge her a bit. I like cuddling with her.

I guess I got really over emotional with this piece because Sunday is the 2 year anniversary of my grandma's death. We were close and the ending of this article reminds me of the times I had with her, even when she had cancer. I miss her terribly, but I like writing about all the memories. Those memories often bring a smile to my face.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:49 PM

1,752 posts, read 1,644,062 times
Very nice piece.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:13 PM

16,648 posts, read 26,615,464 times
Quote:
I remember that day for you and Dash. I cried then when you told us what you did and I'm weepy now (but smiling through it) hearing it again. It's as beautiful now as it was then.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:51 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,124,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I remember that day for you and Dash. I cried then when you told us what you did and I'm weepy now (but smiling through it) hearing it again. It's as beautiful now as it was then.
Thanks Dawn as I wrote that for those few minutes Dash and I were again on the cliffs enjoying our meal that is what I love about memories as when you recall them you are transported back to that time if only for a moment of two. I really do encourage people to make some special memories especially when you know time is limited. That last year of my mom's life I did that too and when I miss her which is often I just recall some of those memories.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks Dawn as I wrote that for those few minutes Dash and I were again on the cliffs enjoying our meal that is what I love about memories as when you recall them you are transported back to that time if only for a moment of two. I really do encourage people to make some special memories especially when you know time is limited. That last year of my mom's life I did that too and when I miss her which is often I just recall some of those memories.
That's so true! I wish I did that with my cat that died 3 years ago. But, I did that with my two other cats (they both died nearly 10 years ago) and my grandma. I might not have the means to do what the author of that article did, but I can make something special in my own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs