U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 10:49 PM

231 posts, read 169,009 times

Advertisements

I have an old dog whom I think is getting sundowners . She barks at night for no reason and paces..

Yes,I am up with her now/so very sad,to see my baby get old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 06:30 AM

729 posts, read 1,214,426 times
I never thought of dogs getting Sundowners. They do go through a lot of the same stages of getting old though.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:29 AM

14,137 posts, read 11,571,543 times
I've never heard of "sundowners". My large breed is 15 now. She's been having lots of bad days , lately. I've been giving her anti inflammatory for her stiff hips , trying my best to keep her comfortable. The inevitable approaches, fast. It is hard when your best friend gets old and isn't the same dog.

I keep telling myself no more pets. And it never happens. Somehow, some dog, always finds me and pins me for the sucker and sap I am. And another long cycle begins.....

Old 01-25-2015, 09:44 AM

795 posts, read 3,911,633 times
Snapdragon, I'm sorry to hear this. Doggy dementia is officially called Canine Cognitive Dysfunction, which you might already know. A medicine that might help with it -- but doesn't always work with every dog -- is Anapryl (generic Selegiline). It worked very well for my shih tzu... kept a lot of his personality intact.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:14 PM

Thanks for your comments.
Lots of elderly people get sundowners too and get confused.

I will think about Anapryl but I know sometimes these types of meds have the opposite effect in old dogs and old people. Right now as long as I hold her, she calms down in about 30 -45mins but if it worsens then I will have to try something else.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,790 times
my 16 year old Shih Tzu has been barking all night long for the past 2 months and has a hard time moving around during the day. My husband and I don't know why she is doing this. She never bark unless someone is at the door or when come home. I notice her back legs are stiff when she is trying to walk. She does nothing but lay around in her crate. I can't get her to come out of the crate unless I have food for her and now that is impossible for her. She also urinating in the house which she has never done before. my baby is going blind and has a hard time hearing us. I don't know what to do. And I don't have the heart to put her down. I am very confuse in what to do. Please someone help me.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:26 AM

I Know how you feel but it seems like your dog needs to be put to rest.

Yet,mine does too and I made an apt to have that done ,then cancelled the appt.

Still,I know this was a dry run for me but I will have her put to rest within the next month,since I know it is my weakness and I have to do right by her and end her suffering.

You should too/so sorry.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:41 PM

71,683 posts, read 83,244,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I've never heard of "sundowners". My large breed is 15 now. She's been having lots of bad days , lately. I've been giving her anti inflammatory for her stiff hips , trying my best to keep her comfortable. The inevitable approaches, fast. It is hard when your best friend gets old and isn't the same dog.

I keep telling myself no more pets. And it never happens. Somehow, some dog, always finds me and pins me for the sucker and sap I am. And another long cycle begins.....
Know, we are watching Sumo go down hill and know we are looking at weeks or months. We have decided not to get another pet, but we do have Carmel, Even then, as much as the cost of raising these wonderful kids cost money and with 2, grooming, food, boarding when we travel and vets cost us more than we should spend, I know we will add another little kid before we know what happened.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:06 PM

993 posts, read 1,020,268 times
These comments are for Ericadpugh, in post #6:

As a lifelong dog owner, I've always felt this: if I can keep them free of pain, I'll work longer than I can hardly stand it with their incontinence, carrying them outside and so forth. I'm also always the one cleaning up the pee from around the house by dogs who never did that before, while everyone else in the family is protesting: don't put him down yet!! and watching me scrub.

I don't think the very first signs of incontinence mean it's time to put a dog down, although it's a human-animal bond here and there might be people for whom any small amount of incontinence can't be handled. I've heard that the vets can prolong bladder strength with medications for a little while longer. That might give your house a chance not to get too completely wrecked. It lets them have a few more weeks or months. And some people have human situations that won't allow for prolonged incontinence or a wrecked house, for example, they have a mean landlord who'll take their security deposit away from a rented apartment for ruined floors, or live with relatives with health dilemmas around indoor wastes... that kind of thing.

When arthritic pain is managed as well as can be done, then it seems like there comes a later point when we (their humans) and they (dog), working together, are unable to get them clear away from their own wastes. At that point, I feel they're living without dignity. For example, if they're peeing on themselves while lying down and can't rise or call for help. Or, if their legs get so bad they fall down into their own feces while trying to defecate outside, after I've carried them outside. Sometimes they look at me with the saddest face, having fallen into their feces. At that point, I feel like they're much too miserable without their dignity, so I make the call.

It's so sad, and it never feels the right day, so don't expect a clear answer will come. Just eventually you get the feeling that it's gone on a very long time, you've all done all you can, but that the dog's own suffering is -- on balance-- more than a blessing of having "just one more day."

Then you grieve. If you gave each other all you could for the dog's whole life, that's what to hang onto, I think... not how many more days you can stretch it out at the finish line.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 03-02-2015 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or