U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 03:54 PM

13,263 posts, read 25,410,186 times

Advertisements

I work nights at a psychiatric hospital. If I go in tonight, I'll be stuck there for almost 48 hours which is bad enough. (Working nights into a forced day shift, giving multiple medications to fragile geriatric patients (dementia) is bad enough. I truly cannot function into the day from a night shift.

On of my six dogs needs his seizure medication at precise times. Once I missed them and he had two violent seizures, and he can have life-threatening seizures. I live alone. If I go in tonight (probably could do so before the major blizzard is blowing) I could be stuck there for 48 hours on the worst assignment in the hospital.

Of course I don't want to go in and get stuck there (there are others who live closer, drive 4-wheel cars and could stay without destroying their health and ability to work). I don't want to leave my six seniors and my one epileptic boy unattended for some 48 hours and there is no one to come in and tend to them, especially during a historic storm. (My area is in the 3' of snow band). Is it immoral of me to stay home, when I could possibly get in but get stuck and not care for my fragile senior mutts? There are other people who, I think will be there to work without having to work the overnight and into the days.

I am torn between the right thing to do (go to work and get stuck) and the possible damage to my dog and how much I dread with horror staying up all night and then working at a very high pace during the day. It is very clear that if you accept an assignment, you are responsible for it even if you're forced into it and cannot function properly. I don't want to use my dog as an excuse, but he is a reason.

I don't think I'd get fired over this (after 33 years!) but it isn't good. If I didn't live 20 miles by highway and had 4-wheel drive, I could consider getting out in less than 48 hours, maybe.

Thank you for listening. I think I am just obsessing before making the call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 04:17 PM

1,458 posts, read 881,357 times
I would stay home and make sure your dog gets his meds. If you make the call, perhaps express concern about your own safety in terms of driving in a storm. But perhaps later, after the storm, you could see about making emergency contingency plans, find or hire someone who lives nearby to come in and give the dog the meds if you are needed at work. And, if you want to continue being able to work when needed, wait to get another dog until time has reduced your pack - not wishing it, I'm a dog lover and owner, but trying to be practical.

What have you done during other emergencies? What would happen if you were fired; do you have savings enough to support you while you find another job? All things to consider.

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:30 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,134,782 times
I agree with Regina. If others are closer and better able to cover these shifts, then they are the ones who should handle it. She's right about considering what would happen if you got fired I guess, but I just can't imagine that happening. After 33 years I would hope it would take a lot more than that! And, after 33 years, we are usually a little worn down and the younger folks are better able to shoulder the heavier burden. That's just a fact, even if we don't always want to admit it. When you're a conscientious person, it's hard to say no without feeling guilty, but in your situation it's the right thing to do.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:34 PM

5,480 posts, read 8,799,247 times
Any way you could find a kennel that would administer the medications? I have a diabetic boy and there is a GREAT kennel near me that will give him his insulin shots at no extra charge above the boarding fees. Any kind neighbors that would help out? I know if my neighbor needed help like this I would be happy to do so.

Another idea? Could you bring the dog with you to work and keep it in a crate? Maybe tell them you are bringing in a "Therapy dog"? The patients might enjoy his company.

I have four dogs myself; three of them old. I understand the problem and it is a tough call. I wouldn't want to leave them for two days in the house but if push came to shove I think they would survive although there would be some messes to clean up.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:52 PM

13,263 posts, read 25,410,186 times
I don't think I'll get fired although of course I considered it. I am three years away from my pension and in the unlikely event of being fired, I'd get my pension and have enough money.
I've gotten stuck at work a few times but never for historic storms of 2-3 days. The supervisor called me at noon to say it was fine to come in hours early (!) to get in before the worst of the storm- the last thing I want to do.

I do think I'll call and say I simply cannot come in and be there for 2-3 days and let the chips fall where they may. I don't intend to have attitude about it. It's just a last straw in many years of maltreatment of people on my level and I've never turned down an assignment or anything. I am not trying to get fired! but I think at worst I'll get written up. Thanks to all for your response.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:56 PM

5,480 posts, read 8,799,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I don't think I'll get fired although of course I considered it. I am three years away from my pension and in the unlikely event of being fired, I'd get my pension and have enough money.
I've gotten stuck at work a few times but never for historic storms of 2-3 days. The supervisor called me at noon to say it was fine to come in hours early (!) to get in before the worst of the storm- the last thing I want to do.

I do think I'll call and say I simply cannot come in and be there for 2-3 days and let the chips fall where they may. I don't intend to have attitude about it. It's just a last straw in many years of maltreatment of people on my level and I've never turned down an assignment or anything. I am not trying to get fired! but I think at worst I'll get written up. Thanks to all for your response.
If it is any consolation you're my kind of dog person. I would have done exactly what you have decided.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:34 PM

795 posts, read 3,903,746 times
I just wanted to say good luck, Brightdog! When my sweet Barnaby got old and had multiple health conditions (seizures among them), I always put him first above everything and everyone else, including work. It didn't always make everyone happy and changed the course of my career in some ways, but I wouldn't change a thing. It's never easy to decide, but, in the end, the only one you have to face in the mirror is yourself.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:34 PM

16,628 posts, read 26,551,353 times
I wouldn't go in. Sure, maybe it's immoral but it's inhumane to leave your dogs for 48 hours, especially one one needs meds. And they can find someone else.

I feel your pain in this, though. It's not easy to make that call. I hope it all works out fine. Please let us know. xxo

Old 01-26-2015, 06:28 PM

21,114 posts, read 14,185,735 times
If none of your skills are irreplaceable, then it's your call.

If there is something that only you can do during your shift, I would call your boss and say you are bringing your epileptic dog with you because you may be trapped at work. That may change his mind about the necessity of you being there. I'm sure you place a higher priority on your human patients than your dogs, but it's important to let the management know of a dog that has special needs that cannot be filled by a neighbor or a friend.

If they ask you to adjust, it's only fair to expect some adjustment from them as well. Blizzards don't happen all the time.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:52 PM

3,174 posts, read 7,001,149 times
I would call in. If you were the sole caregiver for a child or even a teenager the expectation of you to be removed from them during a state of emergency for 48 hours would be ridiculous.

I hope you fare well in this storm, my folks are out that way and it's looks like it will be a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or