U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 07:56 PM

1,841 posts, read 2,499,426 times

Advertisements

I adopted an older dog (10+) before the city would let me have her, she had to be fixed. She had a tumor in the spot (or at least close to it) a couple years later, only a few months ago. I had it removed and it has returned. I know , per my vet, it must be removed again. But I am curious, has anyone ever gone through this? I mean if I remove it, and put her under (she is at least 13 now, a med/large dog), isn't it likely to grow back? I don't think repeated surgeries are good either. The tumor does bother her, the skin near it as well as on top of it is infected because she keeps licking at it. (Yes, I took her to the vet and she has the cone and medications for the infection) Anyone been through this? Suggestions/ alternatives to surgery? thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 09:58 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,126,728 times
What kind of tumor; what was the lab report? You DID have it sent out for an analysis I hope.

Is it a TUMOR TUMOR or a fatty tumor - a LIPOMA?

Fatty Skin Tumors in Dogs | petMD

Meaning a lipoma is much less serious than say, a malignant melanoma which will grow back with a vengeance and there is only so many times they can remove it (debulk it) depending on the margins around it and what it's attached to.

You can leave lipomas alone forever IF THEY ARE NOT in a bad spot like attached to muscle in the thigh or hip, for example.

And where IS the tumor?

That being said, my mother's 13 year old Lab had a malignant melanoma in the JAW under her eye. It surfaced after my mother died after a long illness. I had it removed/debulked.

We expected it to grow back horribly in six months which would be the end of her since it couldn't be debulked any more. BUT it never did come back for THREE YEARS and came back after my bulldog died after a stressful illness.

So if it's a cancerous tumor be careful with STRESS.

YES you should have it removed IMO. You have no alternative and there's no reason to euth her if she can have a decent life again. Of course, depending on what it IS....If she's licking it, I agree it bothers her and is probably painful, though.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:01 PM

11,782 posts, read 26,699,746 times
I was going to ask the same thing. Did they do a biopsy and what type of tumor was it? You don't want to let it go if it can spread. Also, if it's bugging her, have it removed. It's only going to cause problems like it is now. Maybe they can make wider margins during surgery to hopefully remove it completely. Any how, if blood work and urinalysis are normal, she should do fine in surgery. She's been under anesthesia before. It may or may not come back.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:24 AM

1,841 posts, read 2,499,426 times
I don't know what kind of a tumor it was. Of course I am going to have it removed again. Yes, it bothers her and is infected, but she's been on meds for a week+ and the infection is almost gone. (She kept licking at it because it bothered her and it got infected.) I will have to have the tumor biopsied this time and either way hope it does not come back. thank you for the responses.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:14 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,126,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
I don't know what kind of a tumor it was. Of course I am going to have it removed again. Yes, it bothers her and is infected, but she's been on meds for a week+ and the infection is almost gone. (She kept licking at it because it bothered her and it got infected.) I will have to have the tumor biopsied this time and either way hope it does not come back. thank you for the responses.

Stay positive!

I NEVER thought that Lab would live six more months. My vet and I thought the biopsy results HAD to have been wrong when she kept surviving normally.

THEN three years later, at age 16 it came back in exactly the same spot. She still survived quite a few months and was EATING like your typical Lab even with that bloody thing in her mouth the day I euth'd her. We really did NOT want to do it because she was still very active and eating but the bleeding wouldn't stop - there was NO alternative that day.

Labs are TOUGH. Keep her on antibiotics for a LONG time like longer than the usual 5 days for a superficial procedure. Also you can get a different collar than the e-collar I saw some like a donut if that works. It's more comfortable. I hope it all works out for you.

And I know you don't want to think about it but if it's not a metastasized cancer and in her leg low enough, amputation is an option. Just sayin...(since you didn't mention where it is)

I had my bulldog's tail (tailbone) amputated and was freaking out because it looked like Frankenstein. He was SO HAPPY he was running and jumping being rid of the pain. IMMEDIATELY later that same day. But I realize there's a line to draw and every case and outcome is different.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:06 PM

11,782 posts, read 26,699,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
Did you try to put an e collar (lamp shade) on to prevent her from licking it? You could also roll a towel up and wrap it around her neck with duck tape. I know it's sounds crazy but works. Good luck and let us know how everything goes

Old 02-02-2015, 06:01 PM

231 posts, read 169,009 times
I would get a 2nd opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or