Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 08:28 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,154,382 times

Advertisements

All my dogs have been good travelers. My current dog, Tucker, a smallish Standard Poodle, has been to South Carlina, Tennessee, North Carolina, West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia in the last 3 years as well as all over western NY state. This year we may head to the Adirondaks or New England or possibly Ontario since the Canadian dollar is so cheap (and the US dollar is worth so much more).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 08:30 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,135,030 times
Yes.
The car part isn't the problem.
It is dealing with them once we get where we are going.
It is like they forget all manners.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:23 AM

7,353 posts, read 12,586,376 times
First Dog was incredibly smart (200 words!), loving and obedient, but she was not the best car dog. For no reason at all (we'd had her since she was 8 weeks old, and nobody ever mistreated her or left her behind) she went into panic mode every time even one of us left the car, and the air would be totally polluted by hyperventilated dog breath. I can still smell it in my mind! She put up with being on the road for about 4 hours from start to finish, but would never settle down and sleep. So we just did short road trips in those days, or stayed home. I have to say that her nervous system seemed to have been affected by the Parvo infection she survived when she was 5 months old, so that might account for some odd behaviors. She was fine being left alone at home for 7-8 hours every day, so it wasn't the usual separation anxiety.

After we lost her and got Sweetie, we had expected another fussy, frantic dog, but once we realized she loved being with us on the road, she went with us everywhere!

Old 02-06-2015, 11:04 AM

917 posts, read 1,376,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Our beagle mix wouldn't let us get in the car without taking him. I swear, if he could have hidden the keys so we couldn't go without him, he would have. He just loved riding in the car. Once we were on a trip from IL. to Arizona and we were in Missouri and he put his water bowl over the front seat so we could give him some water. He would always sit by the window and look out. Sure miss him.
Thats how my dog is. Even when I go to work she gives me that look like 'hey youre forgetting me!!"

Old 02-06-2015, 01:38 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,292,014 times
I drove across the country with my 3-year-old Catahoula and my 14-year-old border collie. The Houla tolerates long trips. He definitely prefers to be in the comfort of his own home or outside in the fresh air running around like a lunatic. In his opinion, the car's reason for existing is to get him to the dog park.

The border collie LOVES car trips because she gets to be close to her mom and strangers feel compelled to pet her because she's so adorable.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:20 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,557,197 times
We drove from NY to NC and back with the dog. One the way back, we drove in one day, so it was a very long day. Dog did great! We keep a window cracked for her, and she is in the back of an SUV with a lot of room. We have her on a long leash and clipped in though so she can move around but not come up to the front of the car.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:10 PM

84 posts, read 240,447 times
My poodles 7 and 3. pounds always want to go and they do just fine, I am not sure if they enjoy the ride or just want to be in my presence. They are good for 6 hours non stop sometimes more. They each have a car seat with a blanket and a couple of toys

Old 02-21-2015, 08:10 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,577,071 times
Yes. But my dog is very calm and will just either sit in the seat looking out or laydown. He never even had to be house trained ;he comes and gets me even if I am sleeping to go out. I have had other dogs in past that no way I want to make a road trip with them;too hyper.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:36 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,535,442 times
My wife, myself and two dogs were out, "Over the road" in Canada and the USA continuously for 5 years. We crisscrossed all 48 lower states and 8 provinces. We actually rescued our one little dog as a six week old little guy in southern Alabama. We called him "Chico" because the guy who came out of the shack he was living under was a Mexican. "Please take some dogs" he said. That was seven years ago and cheeky has been a joy to us. Having the dogs with us really made all of our travelling all the better. We walked through woods and up mountains, trudged through the snow at -40 in North Dakota, hiked along countless rivers and swam in lakes big and small, warm and freezing. Yep, Chico and Rudi, may he RIP were our family on those long drives across the continent from east to west and north to south, back and forth again and again.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:59 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,353,930 times
I did lots of road trips form Oakland all over CA for many camping and backpacking trips with the awesome threesome - Clancy, Solly and Nikki.

The biggest trip was my cross country move in January with 4 big dogs and a cat in rented RV's from Cruise America. The dining area converted to a bed and three of the dogs loved being up there looking out the big picture window. Sam, the Great Pyr/golden mix spent most of the trip with his nose to the space below the bathroom door where the cat lived.

Clancy had passed away by then but his remains rode up on the dashboard for the whole trip.

Those sure were some great times, made all the better by their company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs