Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 10:32 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,605 times

Advertisements

I went on a long road trip with my dog & we just got back today. I honestly could not have asked for a better companion!! She slept most of the way but would occasionally come snuggle up to me on my lap or she'd get in the backseat and look out the windows. It was about 7hrs going/coming back but she was great. She enjoyed the mini walks at rest areas & everything. Usually if I head out to put gas, go get food or go to Walgreens she tags along since she really enjoys car rides (anyone know why dogs like this?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 12:37 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,470,532 times
My Doberman tolererates long trips but does not like them or rest stops.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:52 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
My dogs tolerate long trips and aren't much trouble but definitely aren't fans.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:33 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
my Bailey has been to a number of states on a number of trips with me.... Let's see..... Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska ..... that's all I can think of right now.....

she LOVES going for a ride in the car.... actually all of them do.... She and Dave will sit up and look out the windows to watch the world go by like little people and then curl up for a nap.....

The little ones, Roxie and Chico, have to stand up to look out, but they enjoy it, too.....

the longest trip was about 11 hours to visit friends just outside of Wichita Falls, Texas and then several more hours south to visit family in the Houston area..... Bailey was the best traveling companion I could have asked for!!

Last edited by latetotheparty; 02-06-2015 at 06:51 AM..

Old 02-06-2015, 07:08 AM

720 posts, read 1,709,225 times
Oliver leaps in the air and screams for joy when asked about going in the car. Takes the leash in his mouth and walks himself to the car. Travels back and forth to CT ,lies on the backseat without a peep. Has a spillproof water bowl , is good in motel rooms or camping. The perfect traveling dog.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:45 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
We plan our vacations with Sophie in mind. She loves a good road trip and is a great traveler. We've gone places that we wouldn't have planned on because of her and had some great adventures. This May we're heading to the Washington state coast and Olympic Peninsula.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:00 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Sweetie, our WSD, was the perfect road buddy, like Bailey and Oliver. We travel from SoCal to Idaho and back every summer, and she would settle right in on the back seat of our SUV, windows half way down, and enjoy both the sights and the smells of the road. She would pay attention to everything. When she got tired of that, she'd just lie down and go to sleep. She knew motel room layouts, and would go to "her spot" between the bed and the wall immediately. And she loved arriving at her Idaho home, as well as her SoCal home. She'd wait patiently in the car in a shady spot while we did quick pit stop, and she was perfect in outdoor dog friendly restaurants. We lost her last July a few days before our road trip, and that trip was the saddest, loneliest trip we've ever done...
So now we have Tribbles, our wild child, Shepherd-Sheltie, 18 months old. She loves car rides with us, but we don't know yet how she'll handle the long drive next summer.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:07 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
Our beagle mix wouldn't let us get in the car without taking him. I swear, if he could have hidden the keys so we couldn't go without him, he would have. He just loved riding in the car. Once we were on a trip from IL. to Arizona and we were in Missouri and he put his water bowl over the front seat so we could give him some water. He would always sit by the window and look out. Sure miss him.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:12 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
My dogs and basically all of them I have had, love to travel. For over 40 years I had an RV or one sort or another, they always travelled with me. Now that I no longer RV, we head out in my car, in fact we are going on a 3000 mile trip this summer!

I once had a beagle that would climb in my open suitcase and refused to budge, she also would jump on the back bumper of my hatchback (a time when there were real bumpers) and sit there when she knew we were going somewhere....she really loved to travel and didn't want to be left behind!

Old 02-06-2015, 08:17 AM

460 posts, read 1,004,389 times
My dogs have been on 1200-1500 mile road trips and love the adventure, but do get tired by the end of the day. Sleeping on a car seat is not super comfortable. They both love staying in hotels and exploring areas they have never been before. All the new smells excite them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs