Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:21 PM

14,213 posts, read 11,504,725 times

Advertisements

I agree that it's not a purebred pit bull. It's a good-looking dog, but it's a mix.

Our pit bull was about 80 pounds, and that was big enough!

And no, I would not prefer to have any breed of dog that was so big. I'm not strong enough to control it. Our neighbor had the sweetest English Mastiff ever, but one day she (the dog) decided to cross the street because she saw some puppies on the other side. There was absolutely no malice involved but the dog weighed about 130 pounds and the neighbor was a slightly-built woman. The dog's sudden action knocked my neighbor down and dragged her into the street where she got severely scraped up on the gravel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 07:43 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,193,500 times
The original and true Pit Bulls were actually very small dogs compared to these bastardized mongrels that street thugs are breeding today. Aggression towards humans was NEVER the intent behind the early and true breedings.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:52 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,461,463 times
Its not a pitbull and thats no bull.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:58 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,550,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
That's not a purebred pitbull, it looks like a pit mixed with a Dogue de Bordeaux or Bullmastiff that's being passed off as a giant pitbull.

For what it's worth, I checked out the breeder's site and I am not a fan. Their dogs are all over the place conformation wise and it's pretty obvious they've been crossbred somewhere down the line. Most of their images show their dogs in aggressive posturing or doing bitework. As a pitbull owner and advocate, the last thing this breed needs is a bunch of ignoramuses perpetuating negative stereotypes.
I thought about the Dogue de Bordeaux when looking at this dog, but his face didn't show any of the characteristics of the French dog.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:34 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,301,917 times
That dog isn't even remotely a pit bull or even a pit-bull type dog (looks like a French mastiff mix) and backyard breeders like these shouldn't be advertised and in any way lauded for mass breeding ill-looking mutts. Honestly, they should be virtually crucified for passing that dog off a pit bull when so many pits are being overbred, neglected, abused, and put down due to over-population.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:48 PM

159 posts, read 168,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I thought about the Dogue de Bordeaux when looking at this dog, but his face didn't show any of the characteristics of the French dog.

There is Dogue de Bordeaux mix in the dogs pedigree.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:02 AM

621 posts, read 1,416,579 times
believe it's a Photoshop dog......

Old 02-14-2015, 11:01 AM

4,903 posts, read 4,191,158 times
How does one walk a 173 pound dog? My excitable 100 pounder is all (and sometimes more) than I can handle.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:45 AM

757 posts, read 1,324,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
On average, although there are exceptions, larger breeds have shorter lifespans and to what extent particular breeding practices with the sole aim of increasing size would have on those stats would be good to know.

Why would anyone, if indeed it is a linear, knowingly breed an animal with a lifespan in the single digits?

I have had many dogs over my lifetime and it broke my heart every single time one of them passed. I would think you would have to build a sort of disconnect to willingly set up a scenario of saying good bye to your companion every few years.
My senior, is 15 now. He is half Rhodesian Ridgeback and half Rednose Pit bull. He weighed about 106 at the vet the other day, but I have been working on down sizing him to make walking easier for him. During his prime years, he weighed as much as 120, he has a 22 inch neck.

All his siblings are gone, several years ago. I feel very blessed to still have my big dog.
Attached Thumbnails
Would you want a Pit Bull dog this big? Giant Pit Bull 'The Hulk' Weighs 173 Pounds.-04061-031.jpg  

Old 02-15-2015, 05:23 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,830,057 times
I have been pulled over by a 40 lbs pitty mix. She is darn strong and I was checking a text and she saw something of interest. I held on so no one besides me was at risk...but ouch.

I agree this isn't a "real pit bull" but a crazy mix of dogs to get huge (maybe aggressive) dogs. But no one needs a dog they can't control...although I am picturing the looks on my pit-hating neighbors faces if I was to walk that brute down the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs