Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 03:58 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times

Advertisements

Whatever it is it looks overweight to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 04:45 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That's not a pit bull. It's one of the giant mastiff breeds. Great Danes, Presa Canarios, and many others are all mastiffs. Giant Mastiffs are ancient breeds going back further than the Roman Empire.

Pits are mastiffs, but the one in the picture is far too large; a big pit bull weighs around 60 lbs.
I agree. These so called breeders are trying to make a lot of extra money selling giant pit bulls, when these dogs are actually some pit/Molosser type mix. I am no pit bull apologist, but that dog is way too big and heavy boned to be a purebred pit bull. Sad. There are many pit bulls in shelters needing homes already. They are the most common breed needing homes in our Houston shelters. We are so overrun with them our local Humane Society does free spaying neutering of pit/pit mixes, and they charge full price for every other breed.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:01 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That isn't a pitbull.

That is a Bull Mastiff.

I don't think so. Actually looks exactly like a Ambullneo Mastiff. Which of course, does have pit bull heritage.

Ambullneo Mastiff Breeders | The Ambullneo - Bulldog Mastiff Cross

Ultimate Dog: Dog Breeds: Ambullneo Mastiff

I wouldn't own one, ever.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:07 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I agree. These so called breeders are trying to make a lot of extra money selling giant pit bulls, when these dogs are actually some pit/Molosser type mix. I am no pit bull apologist, but that dog is way too big and heavy boned to be a purebred pit bull. Sad. There are many pit bulls in shelters needing homes already. They are the most common breed needing homes in our Houston shelters. We are so overrun with them our local Humane Society does free spaying neutering of pit/pit mixes, and they charge full price for every other breed.
Ours too. When my boyfriend was looking for a new pup a couple of years ago, we spent weeks going to shelters...every one within 50 miles, some we went to several times. Every single visit we were disappointed to see at least 90% of the dogs were pits. And at the largest and newest shelter here, I was just flabbergasted. Every single large-breed dog they had, was a pit bull. Every one.

I don't understand why cities don't start restrictions on the breeding of these dogs.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:35 AM

894 posts, read 1,050,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Ours too. When my boyfriend was looking for a new pup a couple of years ago, we spent weeks going to shelters...every one within 50 miles, some we went to several times. Every single visit we were disappointed to see at least 90% of the dogs were pits. And at the largest and newest shelter here, I was just flabbergasted. Every single large-breed dog they had, was a pit bull. Every one.

I don't understand why cities don't start restrictions on the breeding of these dogs.
I agree, it sucks. As far as restrictions, many cities have spay and neuter laws (mine included), but they're rarely enforced. Unfortunately only the responsible people follow them, so if some thug loser wants to breed his pit, he's going to do so regardless of the law.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:47 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That's not a pit bull. It's one of the giant mastiff breeds. Great Danes, Presa Canarios, and many others are all mastiffs. Giant Mastiffs are ancient breeds going back further than the Roman Empire.

Pits are mastiffs, but the one in the picture is far too large; a big pit bull weighs around 60 lbs.
It's definitely neither a pitbull or a dane. It's a mastiff, but I don't know what kind ... somebody I knew at the dog park had one that looked exactly like that guy, right down to the color.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:10 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
Like tohers have said thats not a pitbull its either a mastiff or some type of hybrid. That said I have a 100 pound dog and that's about as big as I'd want. If my dog is hurt or I have to carry him in or out of a car that's about as much as I can handle and my dog is an olde english bulldogge so pretty compact. Even at the same weight if my dog was any bigger I probably woudln't be able to carry him just because its an awkward weight distribution.

I think once you get over 100 pounds your asking for trouble with joints, and other things

Old 02-17-2015, 07:52 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I wouldn't want this dog because it's too big.

Being attacked by this dog would be the pits.

"The Hulk" is a towering, 173-pound pit bull bred and raised by Dark Dynasty K9s, based in Carroll, New Hampshire.

Giant Pit Bull 'The Hulk' Weighs 173 Pounds
Seems like many terrier breeds (including quasi terriers like this) are completely ballooning, so much so that they would have no hope of doing their originally intended task. Compare a monster like this or even many "normal" Pits with a Staffordshire. A proper Staff is like 40, maybe 50 max. This is out of control.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:56 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
The original and true Pit Bulls were actually very small dogs compared to these bastardized mongrels that street thugs are breeding today. Aggression towards humans was NEVER the intent behind the early and true breedings.
True. They were actually smaller than the upper end Skyes.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:24 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,039 times
That is not a Pit Bull. It is a dog bred for bulk & size. It is Mastiff/Am Bulldog & American Bully lines
It should certainly be considered an American Bully if anything.

I could breed the largest "Rat Terrier" in the world if I bred them with Mastiffs.

That dog is less than 20% Pit Bull & even that would be generous to say it has even near that amount of Pit Bull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs