Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:52 PM

94 posts, read 160,238 times

Advertisements

It's scientifically proved that after facing stress and work load whole day if we pass our few times with our pet dog or cat, our mind get refreshed and stress can be avoided. I like to go for a walk every morning with my dog which is good for health, so pet dogs are good for mental and physical health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 10:49 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
A friend of mine posted this on Facebook, and it rings so true I thought I'd share it with you.

People ask me, why do you have pets? Wouldn't your life be simpler without them? Maybe my life would be simpler, but it would not be better. In the short time pets are on this earth, they give lifetimes of unconditional love. It is that which makes my life better. It is the look in their eyes when I'm sad, or the head on my lap when I'm hurting. The antics when I desperately need a laugh, or just the knowlege that there is another living thing, another shared heartbeat, another soul sharing my life. That is why I have pets. Because they make my life, and ME better.
Absolutely.

I grew up in an abusive household. My mother died when I was 10, leaving myself and my three siblings to be raised by a father we barely knew...he'd worked nightshift from the time most of us were small, and so we rarely saw him. He'd had a hard life himself, and unfortunately, we, as his children, bore the brunt of his anger and - most hurtful by far - his verbal, derogatory slurs. I'd always been a shy, introverted type, so living in such an environment was unbearable. Yet my one saving grace was animals. My mother had a cat, a beautiful old tom with soulful eyes and heart; and a few years before she passed away our family took on a dog - a small beagle mix who was smarter than a whip, and the most independent creature I'd ever known. For the rest of the family, Charlie was a respite in chaotic surroundings; but for me, he was my salvation. Charlie went everywhere with me, slept in my bed, kept me safe when I felt I was going crazy, and was inarguably the best friend I ever had. If ever I wanted to escape the stresses and anxiety that made up my day, all I had to do was tell Charlie we were going out, and he was five steps ahead of me, ready to go on an adventure. At night time when I couldn't sleep, when my mind couldn't seem to let go of every torment, Charlie was there...a soul to tell my secrets to, a pillow to hug, a warm body to absorb my tears.

Over the years I've had many many pets share my life, each one special, and each one always a source of comfort and companionship. Every one of them has also come with their own special gift of teaching, of being able to make me search inward and see myself, question some things, validate others...but over all, the one gift that every pet has ever brought with them into my life has been this: They have shown me that love of self is so important. In order to be able to love others, one must first love oneself...and that is one of the many things our pets guide us to see, if we are willing to listen to them.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:24 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
I'm 50 yrs old. I have always had a dog in my life..I can't imagine my life without.
When our 13 yr old dobie passed, we had an empty house for 3 months.. We couldn't take it. They teach us compassion and loyalty.
Sure we may miss a few trips, but the return on their love is endless.
By the way I repped everyone before this post.
Loved your responses.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:12 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Trying to be the person my dog or cats think I am makes me a better person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs